Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I would sign wheeler for 5/125 - that was what I thought hed get. I'd sign him there. I just understand the position of that being too much.

I'd guess 2/3 the league, or more, think 100 million is too much for wheeler. 

But if the Phillies are at 6/120, why wouldn't you go 6/125 if it just takes beating them?  If it's the per year money, I go 5/115 if the Phillies go 6/120, as I think he would think he's worth more than $5 million for an extra year.  It's not like the Machado money which was $50 million difference.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I would sign wheeler for 5/125 - that was what I thought hed get. I'd sign him there. I just understand the position of that being too much.

I'd guess 2/3 the league, or more, think 100 million is too much for wheeler. 

1/30th of MLB was willing to pay Machado over $250 million.

In the end, does it really matter when you miss out...if 3 or 4 or 5 teams were at $100+ million.

2 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Honestly for me best case scenario is that Phillies offered 6 years and Hahn immediately put in an aggressive 5 year offer for Stras. If you overpay, overpay for the guy who had the historic playoffs...

Aggressive as in 5/175?  Figuring you have to save that other $10 million+ per year by forgetting the RF issue or gambling on a bargain?  Even 6/120 for Wheeler gives you that extra $10 million per year toward a RF or another pitcher.  I shouldn't but I'm thinking in Jerry terms that paying up for Strasburg means everything else is bargain basement

53 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, a lot of whining in here today. Relax fellas.

Honestly if Wheeler approaches Corbin territory, give me Ryu. 

Did I miss something?  People are already acting like we lost on Wheeler when all that’s been reported is the Phillies are currently in the lead.  These things are dynamic and can change in a minute.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

Aggressive as in 5/175?  Figuring you have to save that other $10 million+ per year by forgetting the RF issue or gambling on a bargain?  Even 6/120 for Wheeler gives you that extra $10 million per year toward a RF or another pitcher.  I shouldn't but I'm thinking in Jerry terms that paying up for Strasburg means everything else is bargain basement

Signing stras at 5/175 would put sox payroll around 113. That should still leave room for other things for a team trying to be competitive. There is no reason this team needs to cap themselves at $120 mill

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The problem is there is always one team willing to crazy pay the top guys.  The White Sox will need to change their philosophy if they expect to sign these types. 

Yep, that is why the longer this went on the less likely a Wheeler signing seemed to be.  Grandal was signed relatively quickly.  Maybe that is why the Sox should change their target to one of the other SP before everyone else zeroes in on them.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Did I miss something?  People are already acting like we lost on Wheeler when all that’s been reported is the Phillies are currently in the lead.  These things are dynamic and can change in a minute.

Some have already made plans for the burial of their Wheeler dreams

• Like 1

Just now, bmags said:

Signing stras at 5/175 would put sox payroll around 113. That should still leave room for other things for a team trying to be competitive. There is no reason this team needs to cap themselves at $120 mill

Totally agree.  But do we then sign another pitcher at $15 mil per and a reliever?  That sends us closer to $140 million, which still should be fine.  I don't see the Sox doing that though.....

2 minutes ago, HakunaMachado said:

Yes, I don’t get this either. Let’s wait for panic until it’s confirmed he’s not coming. I think the white Sox are very much in this unless the price gets insane. 

Those who have buried their Wheeler plans already believe that the price has become insane. 

Just now, KnightsOnMintSt said:

This Phillies push seems like a last second thing to get the Sox to up their offer in the final hour. I don’t want to be overly confident, but I think we land Wheeler.

Yep and the Padres don't want Manny

• Like 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer