Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

Just now, Balta1701 said:

How exactly did that contract dispel any narratives? I guess them not leaking it in advance dispels the narrative that they leak everything, but they've signed position players and even specifically DHs to contracts that are, inflation adjusted, comparable. 

And yes, after watching the last 3 teams to win the world series be the teams with Lester, Verlander, Price, and Scherzer, I think it is entirely reasonable to say that a team that wants to win the world series should be trying to attain the best pitcher on the market.

The one thing I am worried about, just like when they signed Robert, it "checked off" one of Rick's boxes. Once that got checked off, they got back to where they always were internationally. Now they get Grandal and apparently checked off another of his infamous boxes. I hope that doesn't mean back to comfortable second place finishes for good free agents. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, its so easy to say who cares about years 5-6.  But the people who say that will definitely care when years 5 and 6 come around.  

But here is a thought..... If you don't get that one or two, and still have to suck in year 5 and 6. Winning a championship is still worth it. The only reason Sox fandom still exists is because of 2005. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Not yet, but maybe in a few years. I remember in 2005 I said to myself, just let them win the WS, I won't care if they suck for a decade. I cared.

this is true, but the reasons for that fade had very little to do with bad contracts and more to do with their (still) achilles heel - bad pd and drafting.

Considering that, you may as well push for the highest peak you can get. There are few re-enforcements coming, and I maintain its easier to shed salary when all you need to do is shed salary then people believe. If you need to shed salary and gain cheap assets, then you are in trouble.

But I sure wish Rizzo was the one handing out our FA contracts. This board did not think the scherzer one would go well either. Nor the Greinke one. Sox fans have accepted the CW that big contracts are bad.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The one thing I am worried about, just like when they signed Robert, it "checked off" one of Rick's boxes. Once that got checked off, they got back to where they always were internationally. Now they get Grandal and apparently checked off another of his infamous boxes. I hope that doesn't mean back to comfortable second place finishes for good free agents. 

This is good, the check boxes bit needs to be explored more. It's used in a way to shut down conversations instead of open up why they operated the way they did and plan to do.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

How exactly did that contract dispel any narratives? I guess them not leaking it in advance dispels the narrative that they leak everything, but they've signed position players and even specifically DHs to contracts that are, inflation adjusted, comparable. 

When is the last time the Sox went out and signed a top 5 free agent - who was arguably the best position player fit on the market for the org - to a record breaking contract by outbidding their competition before Thanksgiving?  

2 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

You're leaving out a crucial percentage of non-guaranteed money on your pie chart on the left.

Nah, the most crucial percentage is easily obtainable incentives, like playing 200 games in a season, or playing at least 100 games at Guaranteed Rate each season. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, OmarComing25 said:

I know I'm probably in the minority on this but since we got our title I'd honestly much rather have 10 playoff years than 1 title and 9 crappy years, We've already seen the latter play out, the former would be much more fun IMO. Pre 2005 that's a different story of course.

this is a false choice, honestly. How many WS teams aside from the white sox had playoff islands surrounding that year? 

I know I'm probably in the minority on this but since we got our title I'd honestly much rather have 10 playoff years than 1 title and 9 crappy years, We've already seen the latter play out, the former would be much more fun IMO. Pre 2005 that's a different story of course.

So you think being a Twins fans all those years with Mauer and Morneou would be more fun than actually winning a world series... 

If you give me 1 world series vs 10 playoff years, where there's still a chance, I'm taking the risk 100%

Most people would take that but it is not an option. Usually, that go all out for a title means your team had a short time to win anyway. Obviously, making the playoffs 9 times in 10 years means you have more chances at a title. 

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

I'm also wondering if the Sox miss out on Wheeler, do they pivot hard to RF? All in on Castellanos?

The thing that I don't like about Castellanos is he is a player we'd be committed to but all also one that you'd ideally like an upgrade from. He's an upgrade to our current situation but not a fixture.

I do think I'm more pessimistic on him than most, I liked him a lot last offseason but always wanted to move him to 1b. Vaughn and abreu situations changed it.

• Like 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer