Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If it wasn't for the gopher ball issue/PTGTRW shit, I'd prefer Bumgarner over Wheeler, mostly because of his left-handedness. Bum struck out 200 guys last year, so it looks like he still has it for the most part. If the ball is de-juiced and the HRs become flyouts, then what happens to Bumgarner's performance? 

He strikes me as the next King Felix debacle.. Signs big contract and due to all of his innings at such a young age compltely implodes.. He would make me insanely nervous.

22 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's been said that Gio and Lopez were hurt near the top of the list by poor pitch framing which is on McCann and Castillo. That's why I see no need for McCann to be Gio's personal catcher unless he strictly prefers it. But I'm sure he knows the numbers on being hurt by pitching framing and will be open to having Grandal catch him.

I think Gio and McCann are on the same wavelength.  McCann puts down the sign and Gio throws the ball.  Gio has confidence in how McCann calls the game.

22 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

No, he doesn't pitch in the most pitcher friendly park and probably division in baseball.  

Bum gave up 30 HRs, evenly split at 15/15.  If you put him here he would have been destroyed.

Guess we're lucky that last year isn't next year. He's a great pitcher and still relatively young and I have always believed his arm would bounce back after all those post season innings and the dirt bike accident and last year it did. I think the 2nd year back from all that will be a lot more productive. You don't .

11 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Gun to head, do you think the Sox will get Wheeler?

They have just as good as chance as anyone. Will the Reds allow themselves to get beat by the White Sox on Grandal AND Wheeler? 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, bmags said:

OTOH sox could use some good intensity in the club house, and I've never heard people didn't like bumgarner on their team.

Yes he is fiercely competitive and would offer a wealth of knowledge to the Sox young pitchers. No pitcher likes HR's being hit off them and he shows it more by getting angry with the hitter if he perceives you watched it too much ,but I'd imagine he's just taking out the anger at himself on the hitter. I highly doubt he would clash with Anderson or Grandal especially when they pimp a HR that wins him and the team some games .

6 minutes ago, raBBit said:

They have just as good as chance as anyone. Will the Reds allow themselves to get beat by the White Sox on Grandal AND Wheeler? 

If the Reds do get desperate, I wonder if Wheeler would still pick the Sox if the Reds had a slightly higher offer (key word being slightly).  If the Sox offer 5 years $105M and the Reds offer 5 years $110M, I still think he might pick the Sox.

8 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Thanks for the response. If the money is equal, I don’t see why Wheeler would pick the Reds over the Sox. The Sox are in a much easier division and I’d have to think that Chicago is a more attractive destination than Cincinnati.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer