Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

6 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Anything over $20 million a year for that guy  or most SPs is absurd.  

It's not smart business. 

Neither is never winning because you refuse to pay market price just on a matter of principal. 

• Like 6

Just now, Cashman said:

You saved $6mill with releasing Yolmer, and you couldn't come up with $4M more per year!?!

Well the Abreu extension was inexcusable, but I think this is less about what they had available in the budget and more how they valued Wheeler.

• Like 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 120)
3 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Not me. Wheeler would be a fine addition, but no need to get in a bidding war over a guy like him. There are other fish in the sea. I actually think we are getting too aggressive a year early. I mean look at the Cubs and Heyward - most people were ecstatic with the signing on the North side, but fast forward a few years & the Cubs were cash strapped in 2019. That money could have been used to shore up a few other positions and been very beneficial. While I'm not against signing a Wheeler I do think we should be patient for another year and figure out what we have in house and the deficiencies that may arise (or be filled) internally. I'd like to see if Moncada, Giolito and Anderson can repeat their successes. I'd like to see if Kopech can come back and be effective and throw strikes. I'd like to see if Cease can round his game out. I'd like to know how Vaughn, Madrigal, Robert and various other prospects can handle MLB level. If Eloy can truly become a star. Is Collins just a backup DH/C or is there something there? There are just so many questions and so many outcomes that I think plugging holes with expensive multi year free agents at this time is pressing the gas pedal too quickly. it's one thing if you're the yankees or bosox or dodgers, but we're not. We don't have a whole ton of room for error under JR's budget. My opinion is that I'd rather let some of this shake out in 2019 and just add veterans on 1-2 year contracts right now that help us be competitive and fun. There's a <1% chance of us winning a World Series this year ... it's murderer's row getting through the Yankees and Astros and Dodgers and all the other tier 1 teams & I just don't see Kopech/Cease and other younger arms holding up through any playoff run. So definitely strike on guys like Grandal and Wheeler if you are SURE those are holes you'll have and NEED. But you have to balance that with the fact that you may need that money in 2-4 years when you have a real glaring hole & a better shot at the World Series after you know your young rosters true talent a bit more. I just am worried that we'll be like the Cubs where there are clear issues in 2023 and JR sits on the sidelines due to $$ constraints. 

I will allow the Cubs to undo all of their free agent bad contracts as long as they give back that world series trophy. That's how you do it - if you sign no major free agents, you have no bad free agent contracts, and the Cubs were sorta helped by at least some of their free agent signings. So, trophy for no albatross contracts. Cub fans will take that deal right?

12 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

I am sticking to my original prediction of the sox offering 3 years 60m with a bunch or horseshit tied to the end based on performance and vesting options

But Im gonna wait to see the details before I jump to conclusions. 

I guarantee you they offered at least 5/$100M.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Well the Abreu extension was inexcusable, but I think this is less about what they had available in the budget and more how they valued Wheeler.

Sure, but eventually you're going to have to maybe pay someone slightly more than you value him at; not a significant amount more, but more. Otherwise they're just going to have all this money and never actually spend it properly.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

If true, it says that they have the same problem as last season - they have no idea how much a free agent player is actually worth, their market valuations are stuck in 2012, and they would rather lose ballgames than fix that.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Again, if the White Sox are searching for bargains in modern day free agency, they won't be plucking players from the top of the list.

They aren't smart enough to find the right bargains. The Yankees, Rays, Dodgers etc can dumpster dive and consistently find valuable players. We've seen the results when the Sox try to go that route. It doesn't work.

1 minute ago, cjgalloway said:

Fuck it... Let's just make a monster offense... LOL

Trade for JDM and trade for Joc.  Let's just outscore everyone to get to 81-81.

Hey Coop can get Kopech electric then we are looking good, although we still will need another starter.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118)
12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No, I think they could still have a great off-season, I just worry that if this was really "their main target and guy" that a 10 million dollar difference over 5 years is what cost him that it's really detrimental to the future of this team. 

It's the fact that it was such a small amount of money that cost them that makes it much worse.

It’s sad that White Sox fans care more about spending efficiency than winning actual baseball games.  There isn’t another 4 win starter within our reach, so yeah it’s great we have all this money but it’s value is limited when impact players are no longer available.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer