Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

6 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Wheeler was the guy. He was the only realistic shot at TOR performance that didn’t require a $160M+ contract. The other “fish in the sea” are either substantially worse or substantially more expensive. I don’t think the abject despair some are feeling is overblown if you look at the context of the market. 

The only way to get the pitching they need now is via trade, which would pull from a talented bun already thin system, thus hurting the teams chances, and all, again, for the sake of saving money. 

The team is simply not operating at the same level as the rest of the MLB. If this is how they are going to act, only blind luck will ever bring a championship 

This post wins the interwebs.

Nice Job. 

Keuchel/Ryu/Bumgarner are all more risky and will still be expensive. 

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

How much more? Phillies: "We offer you $118M!" Sox: "We offer you 118M....and one penny!"

I did mention earlier location could mean the Sox need to be a bit higher than Philly. I thought he lived in GA, didn't know the NJ angle, but enough money or first class airline tickets could fix that. One thing is for certain, the White Sox are not quite yet the destination RH claimed in his end of the season address.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

6 of the top 10 highest paid players in baseball were pitchers this year...5 of them made it to at least the playoffs.  4 in the World Series.  Just insanely stupid to pay pitchers a lot of money.

Just because you get paid a lot of money doesn't make you a difference maker. 

I think we should withdraw from conclusions until the whole offseason is complete. Most people on this board thought Wheeler would be more than 100 Million. He got 118. It is a clear overpay and sometimes you have to do that in free agency but lets not act like the ship has sailed on the White Sox competing.

If Phils went out and spent this cash right away for Wheeler and the next day we signed Grandal most fans would be praising the White Sox. 

3 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Sox are willing to spend. This was not a failure. They learned from last year. Wheeler is an idiot for leaving money on the table. That tweet from Rosenthal was enough to make me a believer. 

Yeah, Wheeler is a moron and if it was 5-10 million the union will not be thrilled. 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

When they missed on Manny last year, I felt like someone punched me in the gut. This year with Wheeler, it’s nothing like that.  Hopefully they get creative with this money now.

I would feel this way if I was the rangers or twins fans, but as a sox fan - them executing the most obvious moves was way more comfortable for me than them being "creative".

If they aren't being creative in turning budgetary allowances into real cash, they aren't good at it.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I did mention earlier location could mean the Sox need to be a bit higher than Philly. I thought he lived in GA, didn't know the NJ angle, but enough money or first class airline tickets could fix that. One thing is for certain, the White Sox are not quite yet the destination RH claimed in his end of the season address.

Maybe this was why there was talk of a 6th year being thrown in. 

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer
1 minute ago, kwill said:

I think we should withdraw from conclusions until the whole offseason is complete. Most people on this board thought Wheeler would be more than 100 Million. He got 118. It is a clear overpay and sometimes you have to do that in free agency but lets not act like the ship has sailed on the White Sox competing.

If Phils went out and spent this cash right away for Wheeler and the next day we signed Grandal most fans would be praising the White Sox. 

no because I think most fans just want to get the good players this offseason and not just happy the sox have a healthy cash flow.

14 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Just to put this in perspective this makes him the 9th highest paid SP in the MLB. Soon to be #11 after Cole and Strasburg sign. Do you think he's the 11th best pitcher in the MLB or has the potential to be a Top 25 pitcher? It simply wasn't worth that money. 

In parenthesis yes or no I would want that contract going forward) 

The tops are: Scherzer $36mm (Yes), Greinke $35mm (Yes - it's two years only), Verlander $33mm (Yes), Price $32mm (Hell no), Kershaw $31mm (Nope), Sale $30mm (on fence), DeGromw (Yes), Zimmerman $25mm (No)

There are only a few pitchers in my opinion that are worth that type of coin - arguably Wheeler wasn't even a Top 3 pitcher on the Mets. I'll take a pass on $120mm contract. 

Lol...Wheeler was a top 15 starter last year by fWAR and has untapped potential.  He’s worth every penny he just got paid.

Just a hunch based on nothing, but I think the Sox trade for a pitcher.  Let someone else do the negotiating.  

If not that, how about taking a flyer on Rick Porcello?  As a low risk, high reward type?  I know it's not the "Next Step" signing we are all hoping for, but it could be as a former Cy Young winner?

How is Wheeler not risky as hell?  TJS once and throws incredibly hard.  

Every pitcher is risky, but I'd be shocked if people thought Bum, Keuchel and Ryu were less risky.. Ryu is glass man.  Keuchel has fallen far from the tree and Bumgarner is a ticking time bomb imo.

• Like 1

How is Wheeler not risky as hell?  TJS once and throws incredibly hard.  

eh, if he fails because he can't throw you get insurance on it. I don't think sox will ever be close enough to lux tax for it to be an issue. Worse to get a guy that pitches through everything and just sucks.

• Like 1