Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

LOL everyone laughs at the Sox left and right when they put effort into their presentations and signing friends and family... everyone says, JUST OFFER THE MOST MONEY! Now they do that, and people are mad at the Sox for not selling themselves well enough and not being creative enough.

Enough. They offered the most. They lost out. It's not the teams fault and blaming them is just being angry to be angry. Good on the Sox for FINALLY offering the most money when they said they would. That should be the takeaway here.

The Sox shouldn't pay 10 million extra just because of some guys wife; jfc.

They didn't do what it took to convert. That's a fail. Unfortunately to convert this one it would have taken a bit more than more money. To think the White Sox didn't know that would be claiming his agent was negligent. Maybe how much more didn't make sense. This may all work out for the best. But still, if you can't convert when you don't offer the most money, and now can't convert when you do, what is there to hang your hat on? Hahn went on and on how the White Sox were now a destination. Reality says, not so much.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

LOL everyone laughs at the Sox left and right when they put effort into their presentations and signing friends and family... everyone says, JUST OFFER THE MOST MONEY! Now they do that, and people are mad at the Sox for not selling themselves well enough and not being creative enough.

Enough. They offered the most. They lost out. It's not the teams fault and blaming them is just being angry to be angry. Good on the Sox for FINALLY offering the most money when they said they would. That should be the takeaway here.

The Sox shouldn't pay 10 million extra just because of some guys wife; jfc.

I'm not willing to accept all of these things as fact so easily There's always reasons, but in the end they aren't getting their targets. They are bad at this. I don't know how much more evidence people need.

1 minute ago, soxfan3530 said:

Don’t think that gets it done for Straus. With this market and big market teams involved he’s getting 225+

Agreed. Yanks are going to be on a mission after Cole goes West. 

This is just spitballing, but I'd take the $24mm we offered Wheeler and put it on Rendon and shift Moncada to RF. That's knee jerk right now. (Yes it would take more years and more than $24mm) I may retract this thought in the next 24 hours. haha. 

If the Sox would have offered what it would have taken (probably 130ish mil), the contract starts to look bad. I’m glad they bid the highest and I’m glad they didn’t offer 15 mil more just to get the guy away from his wife’s fam. You guys all just want to find the negative in everything 

17 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Everyone can shape this however we want but the Sox lost...again.   They're not going to be in on the top 2 because they're the White Sox and MadBum just isn't as good right now as Wheeler.  Who knows if the Rosenthal report is true but even if it is, it's going to be another huge L of an offseason but hey we tried again or something.

Serious question:  What would you have had the Sox do in this case?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soxfan3530 said:

Don’t think that gets it done for Straus. With this market and big market teams involved he’s getting 225+

Same thing...8 mil more a year fro Straus is better than Wheeler.  And again we can always look to move him after a few years if Kopech, Lopez, Cease, Gio, Dunning all turn out to be good.  Add in Stiever, Thomson and Dahlquist I'm sure some become decent.  Even 7/245 wouldn't be that bad or crippling vs. what we were going to pay for Wheeler (assuming we offered 5/120 to Wheeler).

Just now, Baron said:

I just got back and was reading through the comments. My initial thoughts are is that Rick and company are bad at reading the intentions of the players they are trying to sign. Really bad at it. 

Reminds me of a college coach that fails at recruiting 

17 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

No - that's you being a sarcastic poster.

My point is 80% of this board would likely take Giolito over Wheeler all things equal and a year ago Giolito was considered a bust by 80% of this board. 

Step off the ledge, this isn't a huge miss.

I’m not being sarcastic. You said the fact that Giolito would be the best starter on the White Sox means Wheeler isn’t a TOR starter lol.

My point, which you haven’t addressed, is that there is no alternative within the White Sox means. THAT is why it’s a huge miss. Not because there aren’t better pitchers in the MLB, but because there’s no one else they can get. Thus, missing him means dealing with a significantly worse replacement. 

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They didn't do what it took to convert. That's a fail. Unfortunately to convert this one it would have taken a bit more than more money. To think the White Sox didn't know that would be claiming his agent was negligent. Maybe how much more didn't make sense. This may all work out for the best. But still, if you can't convert when you don't offer the most money, and now can't convert when you do, what is there to hang your hat on? Hahn went on and on how the White Sox were now a destination. Reality says, not so much.

So what should they have done Dick? Offer 20 million more than everyone else because the guys wife wants you to?

The White Sox offered the most money in FA; that is the ONLY thing a team can control that truly matters. Period, end of story. The Sox were rightfully laughed at for how they managed Machado - you can't laugh at them here too Dick.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Yes. And he didn't get that. Which proves exactly my point - he's not a TOR starter. He's a nice piece, but by no means is a TOR. Markets dictate worth. If he was a TOR he'd get $6 and $180mm ... he's not. 

Not sure how you define TOR stater, but he’s a top 2 starter in 90% of rotations and has untapped potential.  He put up 9 fWAR over the past two seasons and can actually get better.  He’s not an ace but either was Cole before he went to Houston.  We aren’t getting an arm like his for under $200M.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So what should they have done Dick? Offer 20 million more than everyone else because the guys wife wants you to?

The White Sox offered the most money in FA; that is the ONLY thing a team can control that truly matters. Period, end of story. The Sox were rightfully laughed at for how they managed Machado - you can't laugh at them here too Dick.

I was def thinking he might want to stay in the NL. Switching leagues to our park is a challenge plus we do not have a history of winning.