Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

Just now, asindc said:

Are you saying paying Prince Fielder that much worked out well for Detroit and then Texas?

I'm saying detroit signed one of the worst deals of the decade and easily escaped it, and it doesn't really matter nearly as much as the pearl-clutching here indicates.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

So people are stupid for trusting the report on why Wheeler made the decision, and you're a genius for drawing your own conclusions that insinuate the White Sox are cheap failures again. Got it.

Never wrote that. But it is an odd excuse, however, even if the White Sox offer was technically higher, it was not a significant sum given the contracts total value. RH said the south side was now a destination.  

He obviously prefers Philadelphia, and I just mentioned it is possible that finances family might not be the real reason or only reason, but if it was. there are ways around it, especially if you are a destination like the team claims.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Never wrote that. But it is an odd excuse, however, even if the White Sox offer was technically higher, it was not a significant sum given the contracts total value. RH said the south side was now a destination.  

He obviously prefers Philadelphia, and I just mentioned it is possible that finances family might not be the real reason or only reason, but if it was. there are ways around it, especially if you are a destination like the team claims.

Why are you so obsessed with Rick Hahn selling his team as a destination? 

Is he supposed to get up and say, "we hope we can sign some guys, but we're nervous that people don't want to play here."

A high ranking executive officer thinks highly of his organization; what lunacy! 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why?

Again with this E-Bay, buy-it-now, auction stuff.

The Sox came out with a big offer, yet people are still critical and said it should have been bigger?

No one presents their absolute top offer in any negotiation at the start; that would be terrible negotiating. 

You realize the sox didn't get their main target right? 

The thing about poor negotiating is it should actually be determined by the results, not the fucking game aorund it. The sox are at a poor position because they aren't known for spending what it takes and dick around every negotiation. 

They came in "big" and what...it scared everyone away? No. So it wasn't big enough otherwise wheeler would be a white sox.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Remember last season everyone was so upset we didnt spend 300 mil on a .256 hitter..... Wheeler is good, but his ERA was at 3.96 last season, there may be better options.

Just stop with the era argument, please.

Just now, bmags said:

You realize the sox didn't get their main target right? 

The thing about poor negotiating is it should actually be determined by the results, not the fucking game aorund it. The sox are at a poor position because they aren't known for spending what it takes and dick around every negotiation. 

They came in "big" and what...it scared everyone away? No. So it wasn't big enough otherwise wheeler would be a white sox.

So they need to offer a Rangers to A-Rod contract to make you happy? 

People blaming the organization for this have lost their mind.

To scare everyone away? No, to make sure Wheeler knew they were serious. 

This place is comical sometimes; "OFFER THE MOST MONEY." They do... "WHY DIDN'T YOU OFFER MORE?!!"

It's a joke.

• Like 1

Why are you so obsessed with Rick Hahn selling his team as a destination? 

Is he supposed to get up and say, "we hope we can sign some guys, but we're nervous that people don't want to play here."

A high ranking executive officer thinks highly of his organization; what lunacy! 

Because the destination teams know how to close deals. Even if you offer the most money, if the player won't sign , you need to offer more if you want to sign him. The Cubs never offered the most money and got snubbed so the player could be by his future mother in law. If that is so important,  it makes you wonder why Wheeler is living in Georgia.

41 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I was referring solely to his Sox tenure sans 2007. 

Vazquez is a player that should be evaluated by bWAR rather than fWAR

You should evaluate almost everyone's (pitchers) career based on bWAR; fWAR is better for projections, bWAR is better for evaluating actual results. All that matters for a career is actual results, not projectable outcomes.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

So they need to offer a Rangers to A-Rod contract to make you happy? 

People blaming the organization for this have lost their mind.

To scare everyone away? No, to make sure Wheeler knew they were serious. 

This place is comical sometimes; "OFFER THE MOST MONEY." They do... "WHY DIDN'T YOU OFFER MORE?!!"

It's a joke.

If they offered 130 over 5 am I unhappier than potentially watching dallas keuchel and alex wood just because it's 3 million more per year than I want? No. I'm not unhappy. 

They failed and you think that is inspiring because they tried and I guess I just have higher standards for professionals in a competitive sports league.

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

oh wow a forum post from 2010 before they even had stras and harper and were about to make their first wild card, before he had signed some of the best free agent deals of the decade and then stole trea turner. 

For those who might read the post above and think it is accurate, the link is actually to the entire thread, entitled "Fire Rizzo", in which constant posts were made from the beginning in 2010 and throughout every season since then, including this past season.  Some Nats fans were livid and wanted Rizzo fired for failing to sign Prince Fielder.  Some Nats fans were livid and wanted Rizzo fired for failing to re-sign Harper.  Some Nats fans were livid and wanted Rizzo fired for failing to sign Greinke (who helped Arizona get back to the playo... oh wait, what?).  Some Nats fans were livid and wanted Rizzo fired for failing to re-sign Jordan Zimmermann (who helped Detroit get back... no, wait, that's not it...).  It will come as no surprise to some fans of all teams that many of those livid Nats fans were mostly the same people each time.  Good thing for the majority of Nats fans that none of those livid Nats fans had anything to do with putting together the 2019 Nats team, or with deciding who the GM should be, for that matter.

Edited by asindc
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Because the destination teams know how to close deals. Even if you offer the most money, if the player won't sign , you need to offer more if you want to sign him. The Cubs never offered the most money and got snubbed so the player could be by his future mother in law. If that is so important,  it makes you wonder why Wheeler is living in Georgia.

So you think that the agent came back and said, you have the highest offer but for you to get Wheeler you need to actually spend even more?

How do you think an organization would view that phone call? 

Just now, bmags said:

If they offered 130 over 5 am I unhappier than potentially watching dallas keuchel and alex wood just because it's 3 million more per year than I want? No. I'm not unhappy. 

They failed and you think that is inspiring because they tried and I guess I just have higher standards for professionals in a competitive sports league.

Yeah, I am inspired that for the first time in my 32 years on this planet the White Sox said they would not be outbid for a high end target, and they weren't. 

You can get angry that the White Sox couldn't convince Wheeler's wife/fiancee to pick Chicago, I'll be happy that the organization finally fucking put up when they said they would. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

As others have pointed out, he has very similar fly ball numbers to Gio. I think there's value in having a left handed vet on this staff, but if the rumors about his price tag are true, I'm a no. 

According to the graphic we saw Bum would have allowed about 40 HR. 

Yeah, I am inspired that for the first time in my 32 years on this planet the White Sox said they would not be outbid for a high end target, and they weren't. 

You can get angry that the White Sox couldn't convince Wheeler's wife/fiancee to pick Chicago, I'll be happy that the organization finally fucking put up when they said they would. 

They didn't put up, because it wasn't enough to sign him. Not sure why this is so hard for you.

OK - good end point to this argument.