Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

1 minute ago, bmags said:

The thing that sucks about wheeler compared to machado is his money will get redistributed elsewhere, and those options are not as inspiring.

Next years class is middling, maybe there is Ray, but ideally they could have made a run at the OF with a much more favorable class. But the top level pitchers next year are the exact same level you’d just expect Sox to bow out of (syndegaard, etc)

Well hopefully out of Gio, Kopech and Cease and we can find 2 legit aces.  Then filling in the middle of the rotation pieces is OK.  But I understand and share your frustration, man.  Shitty day for the die hards.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I hear ya.  I am frustrated as well.  Wheeler was the best (realistic) fit.  But he sounded a fuck load better at 4/$80M as we all hoped in early October, or even 5/$100M than 5/$130M or whatever it would have required to pry him to the midwest.    

Wheeler isn't necessarily an organizational changing player.  He's a good not great pitcher getting paid like he's ELITE, with limited track record to back it up.  I would have been happy to get him a 5/$120M, but also am OK acknowledging that anything over that would have been crazy.  

Life goes on.  This hurts for 2020 for sure, but I think that there is better than a coin flip's chance that deal turns into a nightmare.  And to be clear, I said that multiple times before today.  

5/$120 is not being paid like an elite pitcher. An elite pitcher will probably make 2x that this offseason.

Youve got to recalibrate your contract expectations. Elite pitchers were getting $120 million 15 years ago, comparable contracts today would push $300 million.

Just now, bmags said:

Well, they kinda need things to work out. Because they aren't good at drafting, or developing, or scouting. It's not my fault the white sox rebuild requires so much additional help from FA, but since it does I expect them to execute. 

Doubt we are preferred destination in most cases. Just the way it is until it is not. 

36 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

by definition they didn't have the best offer because he didn't sign with them.  It's like 99% of the way pregnant.  "meeting the offer" is meaningless imo.  

Wait, they didnt have the best offer? 

Last year everyone said endlessly that the best offer was the most guaranteed money. Now this year, they do that and people still say they didnt make the best offer. Some mental gymnastics taking place here.

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

5/$120 is not being paid like an elite pitcher. An elite pitcher will probably make 2x that this offseason.

Youve got to recalibrate your contract expectations. Elite pitchers were getting $120 million 15 years ago, comparable contracts today would push $300 million.

That's 17 million less than Jacob DeGrom was given 9 months ago, with all kinds of crazy deferments. 

Yes, I know it bought out a year of arb. 

Wheeler might not be getting ELITE dollars, but he's getting more than he's proven to be worth. 

Edited by mqr
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, shago said:

Zach Wheeler is no elite pitcher, you watch .......

Maybe not be he was who the White Sox determined to be the best fit and the best signing to lead to sustained success. So whoever they now get was not their first choice. They don’t appear to be even attempting the top 2. Maybe that changes, but Cole/Boras, I will believe JR dances with Boras when he actually does. Hopefully their 2nd or 3rd or 4th or whatever choice they actually sign turns out to be the best choice.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MeanJoeCrede said:

If what Nightengale is reporting is true and Wheeler turned down 5/$125 from the Sox, couldn't he have just used the $7 million to buy her a jet to go to NJ whenever she wanted? I honestly cant think of a single time in any sport where an athlete left $7 million dollars on the table.

I think Paulie left $5-$7M on the table from Baltimore to resign with us instead of Baltimore. Could be wrong 

Edited by Soxnfins

20 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

Actually not all that upset by this... Wheeler didn’t want to be here due to family, can respect that. Now just go get a lefty instead. I have a queezy feeling that it’s Keuchel... meh

Good for him but I'd be single if my fiancee asked me to turn down 7 million dollars to be closer to HER family. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Not sure if she's implying something about the Sox, or if this is just worded poorly and reads that way.

Fucking Drake LaRoche strikes again!

Hasn't she "implied" shit on Twitter about the Sox before? I mean this is pretty obvious what she is saying. 

9 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Not sure if she's implying something about the Sox, or if this is just worded poorly and reads that way.

Fucking Drake LaRoche strikes again!

Wow, that does sound like she's taking a shot at the Sox. I guess we know Rodon won't be re-signing here.