Zack Wheeler Thread Two

caulfield12

Since nothing actually happened...

https://sports.yahoo.com/much-might-zack-wheeler-cost-185142660.html

Wheeler won't command the same kind of gargantuan deals that Cole and Strasburg end up signing. But he won't come cheap, either. The White Sox just gave out the richest deal in franchise history when they signed Yasmani Grandal to a four-year contract last week. They might need to break that record in order to land Wheeler.

Would they? Historically, they haven't rushed to hand out lengthy contracts to starting pitchers, and while Rick Hahn has been keen on smashing any and every preconceived notion about his team he can find - the idea the White Sox aren't willing to spend fell by the wayside with the Grandal deal - he acknowledged why any team might be hesitant to sign starting pitchers to such contracts. He also kept with his theme of the offseason, suggesting actions speak louder than words, as well as keeping the door open to every kind of move.

"With all these moves, free-agent moves, specifically with pitching, it's going to come down to pricing and what's accessible and what's the price and what level of risk we're willing to bear," Hahn said during the GM meetings earlier this month in Arizona. "There's a heightened level of risk with free-agent starting-pitching signings. It's just the nature of the category.

"But anything I say right now about ‘we're willing to do X' or ‘you'll see us do this,' it's meaningless until we actually do it. So if we actually go out and convert on a free-agent pitching target, we'll talk about how we wound up with the term and why."

The Nathan Eovaldi deal with Boston was their comp in season. I believe that was four (years) and $68 million. I believe at this point, given where the pitching market is at, Wheeler's bar is going to be raised from that quite a bit," Martino said. "If you're not getting Gerrit Cole, I don't know where you turn for a potentially really high-end guy other than Wheeler. So I think he could get into the $100 million territory at this point, based on the way the market's going.

"I don't think it will eliminate competition overall for him because there's a lot of teams that need pitching and want an upgrade, whether it's the White Sox, the Reds, the Angels, the Padres. And these are teams that sometimes have been having trouble convincing players to take their money. So they've got checks to write, it's just a matter of where's Wheeler going to choose.

"So I do think it will continue to be a robust market, even at a pretty high number for a guy who's really good but doesn't have a super long track record."

https://fansided.com/2019/11/26/twins-whatever-it-takes-sign-zack-wheeler/

https://fansided.com/2019/11/25/five-most-likely-landing-spots-zack-wheeler/5/

Wheeler listed as #1 likelihood to end up signing with White Sox, Reds 5th, Mets 4th, Astros 3rd, Yankees 2nd.

No Angels or Twins.  Padres.

Not sure where the idea about Angels or Padres not being able to land premiere free agents is coming from...since the Angels won the Ohtani sweepstakes, after all.

Edited by caulfield12

27 minutes ago, pcq said:

OFFICIAL JUST ANNOUNCED.    Thanksgiving is tomorrow take the day off for cripes sake. 

Not in China.

Working day like normal in a British/Cambridge/CIE international school.  In fact, students are just getting their notifications about Oxford and Cambridge interviews and booking flights to Heathrow between next week and X-Mas.

Just now, Chisox378 said:

Ok, sorry, I thought they both were free agents.

I do think a player with 2-3 years of arbitration control...either a pitcher or RF, or both...are realistic.  Maybe just not some of the high-profile names we’re currently imagining, at least on the pitching side.

Of course, if we miss out on Wheeler, all bets are off.

9 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

I'm wearing my gray Sox shirt today.  I was wearing it when Yasmani signed so.... WHEELER TODAY!?  🥴

Sweaty Freddy Garcia 2005 AL Central Division champs version?
Still have mine, although the heat transfer press on is quickly losing its luster.

Josh Donaldson is next predicted big-name signing, fwiw.  Wheeler is the next listed.

Zack Wheeler, RHP, age 29
There is a sentiment in the industry that he could sign as early as the Winter Meetings. He’s drawing broad interest, from the Phillies, White Sox, Twins, Padres and Angels, among others. MLB Network insider Ken Rosenthal recently reported that the Reds are also pursuing Wheeler.

Wheeler didn’t pitch in the Majors during the 2015 and ’16 seasons, while undergoing (and recovering from) Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. He also missed time this year due to shoulder fatigue. Because of those factors, it’s unclear whether clubs will be comfortable offering a contract of five guaranteed years.

That said, over the past two years he is 12th in MLB with a total of 377 2/3 innings pitched, which should put some of the concerns about his durability to rest. And his combined 8.9 WAR during that stretch (per FanGraphs) ranks ninth, ahead of former Mets teammate Noah Syndergaard (8.5) and even Strasburg (8.1).

Wheeler will be less expensive to sign than Strasburg or Cole, so he appeals to teams -- like the White Sox, Angels and Padres -- that want to preserve resources to pursue offensive upgrades as well.

https://www.mlb.com/news/next-mlb-free-agent-to-sign?partnerId=zh-20191127-156907-47943&query_id=1026&bt_ee=anG01a33VbOatev%2FEUXlgwRRFvds0mG%2BwzvgATKPsCGnqjeZp1AUTYdcQzWH%2B4oI&bt_ts=1574857937186

So it’s Phillies, Padres, Mets (low probability), Reds on NL side, Twins, Yankees, Astros, Angels, White Sox in AL.
Up to nine total teams mentioned so far.

Edited by caulfield12

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

just a show of hands, does anyone find the bolding and italics formatting helpful in reading caulfields ENTIRE POSTING OF ARTICLES

It wasn’t even half...but I guess ten’s of random Twitter screen shots of supposed “insiders” is also cause of unabated excitement.

Of course, almost everyone now claims to be an insider of some sort.   It’s just that only 5-10% are actually accurate, which in all likelihood is worse than even weather forecasters.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Ah yes. Just what this site needed: another Wheeler thread.

I don't mind much comin' here
And wastin' all my time
'Cause when a deal is' oh so near
I kinda lose my mind

Often an annoying affair
With random tweeting that we share
But I don't mind much comin' here
And wastin' all my time

Soxtalk is just what I needed
(Just what I needed)
F5 puts me in a haze
Soxtalk is just what I needed