Brewers/Padres Trade: Urias/Lauer for Zach Davies/Trent Grisham

bmags

1 minute ago, TheTruth05 said:

Hope Luis Urias becomes a stud that a lot of people thought he could become, would be funny if he haunts the Cubs in that division for years to come.

The interesting thing on Urias was he started showing huge power in AAA but it wasn't translating in a SSS in majors. I think it could have huge upside if brewers tap into that.

• Like 1

Urias is a very strong defender but he struggled all season just to get to .200.

Lauer is just mehhh.

Padres trying to ump the ante in the rotation with Richards back from TJ with expiring deal next year...Lucchesi and especially Lauer expendable.

Rotation looks like Paddack, Davies, Lucchesi, G.Richards, Lamet/Quantrill...with Gore pushing to be the second ace, and quickly.

Grisham has as good an opportunity as anyone to break through as an impact player...Braun/Cain/Yelich and Huira ensconced there for MIL in 2020 and Urias needed a scenery change.

Moustakas would be another possibility at 2B.  Schoop or Gennett?

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Lauer is basically Jim Parque with slighty better stuff...or a really poor man’s Q.

Fox the Sox, he would be the perfect swingman and he’s LH.   Obviously Milwaukee just needs affordable bodies for the rotation, and Davies was going to become increasingly expensive.

Miley and Gio are similar possibilities.

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Urias is a very strong defender but he struggled all season just to get to .200.

Lauer is just mehhh.

Padres trying to ump the ante in the rotation with Richards back from TJ with expiring deal next year...Lucchesi and especially Lauer expendable.

Rotation looks like Paddack, Davies, Lucchesi, G.Richards, Lamet/Quantrill...with Gore pushing to be the second ace, and quickly.

Grisham has as good an opportunity as anyone at second...Huira ensconced there for MIL and Urias needed a scenery change.

Moustakas would be another possibility at 2B.  Schoop or Gennett?

I would love to get Lucchesi as a lefty option in the rotation

1 minute ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I would love to get Lucchesi as a lefty option in the rotation

I think they hold onto him for at least 2020...he’s more expendable when Gore arrives, but they desperately need to up the ante for 2020 in terms of fighting for a WC spot at least.   Lucchesi gives you innings and usually keeps his team in the game.  Strong competitor.  Very calm and poised demeanor.

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I think they hold onto him for at least 2020...he’s more expendable when Gore arrives, but they desperately need to up the ante for 2020 in terms of fighting for a WC spot at least.   Lucchesi gives you innings and usually keeps his team in the game.  Strong competitor.  Very calm and poised demeanor.

I went to college with him, watched him pitched a lot and have seen most of his starts since coming up. Like you said he is a very strong competitor and is always working to get better but his stuff is a bit limited. I think he would do well his first season in the AL but after that I am not sure. I think he is the perfect guy to be an "Opener" and throw 3-4 innings. He usually struggles in the 5th/6th.

54 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I like it better for the Padres.  Grisham is the best player in the deal and I don't like Lauer.

Whew, I had not really followed him last year. I loved him out of high school (because he would always end up drafted by me in OOTP) but seemed like he wasn't doing much his first few years. His AAA numbers are insane.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Whew, I had not really followed him last year. I loved him out of high school (because he would always end up drafted by me in OOTP) but seemed like he wasn't doing much his first few years. His AAA numbers are insane.

He made a big jump but damn does Preller love his OF's.  Manuel Margot, Trent  Grisham, Hunter Renfroe, Wil Myers, Franchy Cordero, Josh Naylor and he traded for Taylor Trammell earlier this year.  Preller would field an entire team of OF's if he could.

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He made a big jump but damn does Preller love his OF's.  Manuel Margot, Trent  Grisham, Hunter Renfroe, Wil Myers, Franchy Cordero, Josh Naylor and he traded for Taylor Trammell earlier this year.  Preller would field an entire team of OF's if he could.

Naylor belongs at 1B/DH.  And that’s not even counting Franmil Reyes, Travis Jankowski, Akex Dickerson, etc.

Margot is toast.  Cordero is likely a victim of numbers game as well.  Their version of Adolfo.  Naylor is likely trade bait in the same value range as Collins.  Trammell and Grisham are the two guys they now have to hope break out, along with a huge Myers rebound.  Renfroe had a great first half and cooled down considerably the last two months.

Plus they’re now waiting on Edwards and Abrams at 2B...so that’s a stopgap signing.  Kinsler is also toast.

Edited by caulfield12

interesting article about this trade on Fangraphs.  It seems Urias made a swing change to add some power that didn't work.  His swing and miss went up but his exit velocity did not.  Too much soft contact.  Longenhagen is a fan so he's still holding out hope for some physical projection at 22 yrs old. SS is the place to play a low impact bat but there's a question if he can be league average there.  The Brewers are light up the middle but this looks to be a very risky move.

17 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

interesting article about this trade on Fangraphs.  It seems Urias made a swing change to add some power that didn't work.  His swing and miss went up but his exit velocity did not.  Too much soft contact.  Longenhagen is a fan so he's still holding out hope for some physical projection at 22 yrs old. SS is the place to play a low impact bat but there's a question if he can be league average there.  The Brewers are light up the middle but this looks to be a very risky move.

Urias change came years ago - it's not as if he changed it in the middle of last year.

Urias certainly has a higher ceiling Grisham, and I think the brewers did really well here. Grisham is a safe bet to be an average regular but I think urias could become a star. Guys with his build tend to take longer to grow into their power. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

Nothing prospect Austin Allen and a player to be named later.

Profar becomes the assumed starter at 2B.  If Garrett Richards can recapture his form with Gore getting closer and closer...they’re not that far off.

One more pitcher and deciding if they can rely on Hedges/Mejia at catcher.

Edited by caulfield12