Jonathan Villar traded to the Marlins

ChiSox59

41 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Guys - If GMs thought Villar would put up 4 wins next year, he would have been claimed.  Clearly they don’t project him to be worth that much (my guess due to flukey base-running value) and FWIW Steamer has him at 1.8 fWAR.  That doesn’t mean he can’t be a useful player, I just think people see this big fWAR and unrealistically believe that’s his baseline going forward.

Who said he hasnt been claimed?

Definitely interesting. Especially on a team that may have more of a rotating DH. Could also start at 2B for a month or two until Madrigal is ready (assuming he doesn't fall apart or get hurt at AAA).

Orioles payroll is projected for under $80 mill so kind of a head scratcher move.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

My bad, thought he had already gone unclaimed.  Regardless, my point still stands, someone would have given up a C caliber prospect if they thought he was a 4 win player.

The Sox spent $9 million each on Yonder Alonso and Ivan Nova last winter, and gave up C or D prospects for each. I would imagine if they thought he was a 4 WAR player they would do the same and figure something out position wise or moving him along for something better than what they gave up. 

It is pretty weird he got no play on the trade market even if it was for one year. There's a pretty good chance his play will earn his paycheck even if he does step back a bit.

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

My bad, thought he had already gone unclaimed.  Regardless, my point still stands, someone would have given up a C caliber prospect if they thought he was a 4 win player.

If someone claims him, they’ll have to deal with the arbitration themselves. 

5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He would go straight to the top of my off season list ahead many I have been listing as a solid backup option like Moose or Holt or Kendrick. Just one year for the expected arb price isn't bad at all for a youngish, 4.0 WAR, switch hitting, power hitting base stealer who can play infield and OF. Plus for only a year you can see how he performs and decide if he could be a piece moving forward. It really depends on what some of those other guys are asking for .

A Zobrist type guy is always pretty valuable on a contender. Could always see if you can trade Leury and keep Mendick to soften the salary blow.

I would be firmly in the trade Leury camp if we ended up with Villar.  He's not a defensive whiz but he can play everywhere and has power and speed. It's only a year.

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Guys - If GMs thought Villar would put up 4 wins next year, he would have been claimed.  Clearly they don’t project him to be worth that much (my guess due to flukey base-running value) and FWIW Steamer has him at 1.8 fWAR.  That doesn’t mean he can’t be a useful player, I just think people see this big fWAR and unrealistically believe that’s his baseline going forward.

Of course. But the point is even as a 2 win player he is worth that plus there is some upside albeit also some downside 

Just now, Dominikk85 said:

Of course. But the point is even as a 2 win player he is worth that plus there is some upside albeit also some downside 

Do teams calculate salaries based upon WAR? This sounds like fantasy league theory. 

49 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They don't use bwar or fwar but yes every front office uses their own version of war to evaluate/project players and player salaries.  

I remember O'Dowd on mlb network saying the rockies used to use their own war formula which was similar to bwar and for hitters (he said it was a lot more in depth for arms) they'd equate $6-7 million per win.

12 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

I remember O'Dowd on mlb network saying the rockies used to use their own war formula which was similar to bwar and for hitters (he said it was a lot more in depth for arms) they'd equate $6-7 million per win.

O'Dowd hasn't worked in a FO since 2014 so you can only imagine how far ahead FO's are today than the general public.  

11 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Mike Trout struck out 184 times and won an MVP.  Guess he's a poor hitter.  

That his most strikeouts in any of his years, and yes that was poor. Also, he walks alot to compensate a little on the KS. Trout is not in the top 5 in hitting. Bregman is better. Although Trout can do so much so well.

The thing that's nice about Villar is he's on a one year deal. So a team like the White sox, which should have an insane amount of room financially speaking, could grab him with no problem and have it not effect us later on.

If we do bad this year, maybe we trade him for a nice prospect at the deadline.

11 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Makes sense. Marlins would;ve had 1st shot at him  being the the opposite league and with the worst record right ? Guess they decided not to pass on him and let another team grab him.

I BELIEVE it starts with the same division worst record to best then goes to the other division. So it appears the entire AL passed on Villar. I could be mistaken.