SoxTalk based Fantasy Baseball League (Dynasty/Keeper/Regular)

iWiN4PreP

Hi SoxTalk friends,

Last year I tried gauging interest in setting up a fantasy baseball league, but there wasn't much interest. Figured I'd try to give it a go again here.

We can talk about the details of a potential league once we have enough managers. What I am looking for is at worst 8 managers (in which case we'd likely do an AL only league) or at best 14 managers. 

I don't want anything larger nor anything smaller. 

This would potentially be a dynasty league meaning it would be something we keep going on the site for years to come.

I am aware of a large 30 team fantasy league that also goes on in this site, however, I'm looking for a smaller more intimate league that's more based here on SoxTalk. 

Let me know if there's any interest and then we can talk about the nitty gritty.

Cheers. 

8 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

I'd be interested if there was a decent buy-in. If it's a free league I'd be out.

It would have to be a buy-in to motivate all managers to stay active and so we could have some reward :). 

Ideally this league would stay within SoxTalk also so we can all post here if need be.

4 hours ago, cjgalloway said:

I'd be interested if there was a decent buy-in. If it's a free league I'd be out.

Agreed. I could potentially be interested depending on $ and structure. Already play in several though and married to yahoo so wouldn’t do any other formats. 

• Like 1

1. iWin4Prep
2. Look at Ray Ray Run
3. maxjusttyped
4. cjgalloway
5. Chisox59 (Yahoo)
6. BackDoorBreach

That's a pretty great start for this post considering it was just posted a few hours ago and we only need 8 at minimum.

Let's aim for around 12-14 teams! Any others out there?

Let's Assume a buy in of something around $100-$300 right now. 

Platform is TBD, most likely Fantrax, but possibly Yahoo/ESPN depending on what everyone wants. 

Aim is for a Dynasty league set up, but also TBD. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

For dynasty, they really lag behind imo.

Fair, I just play in 5-6 yahoo leagues For baseball and also use for all other fantasy sports so I am definitely not adding a league in another platform. If it ends up on something else, no biggie, I’ll just pass. 

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Would love to do another like this. I have one league going 15 years. 

Would love to add a second. $500 min would be great as a buy in because the time commit is significant. If we cant get 10-12 at $500, we could try $300. I'm interested.

What the hells.

Change my mind... I'll gladly take all yall's money ;)

Edited by cjgalloway
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Fair, I just play in 5-6 yahoo leagues For baseball and also use for all other fantasy sports so I am definitely not adding a league in another platform. If it ends up on something else, no biggie, I’ll just pass. 

YOU WILL DO THIS LEAGUE, AND YOU WILL LIKE IT!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Moving this to its proper forum

Damn, now no one is going to see this. I don't think anyone ever looks at this sub-forum :(. Could you move it back on that account?

In any case, I will reach out to those interested here shortly with a questionnaire to get more information. 

@BackDoorBreach

@cjgalloway

@ChiSox59

@maxjusttyped

@Look at Ray Ray Run

@MyNamesRod

@Seinfeldologist

+ ME of  course.

The above is the list of people who have expressed some solid interest. We also have @ron883 (who posted here but did not express interest), and @Jack Parkman (with interest, but not realistic as $30 is too little, maybe we can convince you to up it to 50 or 100?).

Anyway, that is REALLY GOOD. The list is 8 people and we have 2 others possible, and I'd guess that other members of the forum might join in on the fun too. At 8 we can have an AL/NL only league and have a great time. We get a few more at 12/14 and we can have some real fun.

So we need to start talking about the info and here's a quick questionnaire to get us started:

1) Buy-In - Some of you guys are high rollers, others are more limited with the buy-in. I can't do anything above $300 for 100% sure. I'd prefer less than $200. I think a sweet spot is $100 for me. 

A) $300
B) $200
C) $100
D) $50

2) Type of League

A) Dynasty
B) Redraft
C) Limited Keeper 

If you are NEW to any of these setups please understand that a dynasty format is a hell of a lot more demanding. A dynasty isn't supposed to be a 'one year league' it's supposed to multiple years down the line. We could be in this for 10 years together! This is a beautiful thing, but also something you have to be ready for. 

I strongly prefer a dynasty league (as I've been trying to get one going for the past 2 years), but I understand that requires a dedicated group. 

3) H2H vs. ROTO

A) H2H
B) Roto

Just a simple preference check here. Roto is IMO more skilled and number based as you don't have the playoff weeks in the end resulting in a lucky 6 seed winning the whole league. H2H has more trash talking, week to week randomity, etc. I prefer Roto, but don't mind H2H. We can talk about the categories/scoring/points later. 

4) Service Provider

People in this thread have expressed conflict with going to different providers. I urge you to be open here as we have a limited base. If we are doing a dynasty league, Yahoo might not be the best provider. If we are doing a redraft league, then who cares what we do. etc. Let's be open to options? But if you absolutely will not be open, please let me know here. 

Anyway, this should get us started with what we really have here. 

Still interested.  Higher the buy-in the better as far as I am concerned.  Anything less than $200, I am probably out - just not worth the time commitment.

As mentioned previously, I am a yahoo fantasy guy.  Don't really care to debate the positives/negatives of the yahoo platform vs. others, but its what I use and I am not going to add a league in a different platform.  If you guys elect to go with a different platform, that is completely fine with me, I will just pass.

@iWiN4PreP, either way, thanks for trying to set this up.