SoxTalk based Fantasy Baseball League (Dynasty/Keeper/Regular)

iWiN4PreP

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Still interested.  Higher the buy-in the better as far as I am concerned.  Anything less than $200, I am probably out - just not worth the time commitment.

As mentioned previously, I am a yahoo fantasy guy.  Don't really care to debate the positives/negatives of the yahoo platform vs. others, but its what I use and I am not going to add a league in a different platform.  If you guys elect to go with a different platform, that is completely fine with me, I will just pass.

@iWiN4PreP, either way, thanks for trying to set this up.  

Appreciate the honesty ChiSox59, but yeh its going to be difficult with the different backgrounds/opinions.

If it ends up becoming divided with strong opinions I'll probably just create a league with the settings/type I want, promote it here and if it doesn't fill, oh well! 

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be interested - in two leagues already, so I'd like to keep it to $150-200 to keep my interest enough. Would be in favor of ESPN/Yahoo since I'm already in both of those and sometimes the learning curves of point systems can take a bit, but am okay another. Also would be interested in a modified keeper/dynasty league.. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys....lost a league this year.  Looking to start a new $300-500 buy in league.  Looks like there could be some interest from this group.  If I started it, its going to be yahoo league (just my preference, don't care to debate it).  Any interest @BrianAnderson. @Look at Ray Ray Run, @cjgalloway, @iWiN4PreP, @BackDoorBreach, @maxjusttyped, @ron883, @Chicago White Sox, @MyNamesRod, @Seinfeldologist

Thinking 10-12 team league. Minimum 10.  

6x6 H2H - R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP; W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, K/9

Thoughts?  Happy to set this up if we can get to at least 10 people.  I run a lot of leagues and happy to provide references if you guys want - but its generally tough to fill leauges with higher buy ins, so felt here may be a good place to start to find peeps.  Would try to fill in league as necessary outside of Soxtalk.  

Let me know.

I'm a pretty big fan of weekly points leagues - because there's a lot of strategy around pitching and games played - but I am happy with whatever format is agreed upon. I will say I find points leagues in baseball - on a weekly basis - to be a ton of fun from a competitive and trash talking angle and it also greatly increases the amount of trades as teams trade to win a week by giving up assets for pitchers who may be starting twice and etc.  I'm always up for added another unique league though.

I am good with anything between 300-500. I think we might have more luck towards the lower end of the spectrum.

If this is a good group of guys, and people feel like they could commit, we could consider a partial keeper format (3-5 keeps, based on round drafted with a 3 round reduction each additional year kept). 

I would also have 1 person interested in joining if we come up short.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm a pretty big fan of weekly points leagues - because there's a lot of strategy around pitching and games played - but I am happy with whatever format is agreed upon. I will say I find points leagues in baseball - on a weekly basis - to be a ton of fun from a competitive and trash talking angle and it also greatly increases the amount of trades as teams trade to win a week by giving up assets for pitchers who may be starting twice and etc.  I'm always up for added another unique league though.

I am good with anything between 300-500. I think we might have more luck towards the lower end of the spectrum.

If this is a good group of guys, and people feel like they could commit, we could consider a partial keeper format (3-5 keeps, based on round drafted with a 3 round reduction each additional year kept). 

I would also have 1 person interested in joining if we come up short.

Yah, I am referring to H2H points league. Basically where you match up against 1 other opponent per wekk in the 12 stat categories and can win 12-0, lose 0-12, or anything in between.  When you say "weekly points league" do you basically mean every week is like a separate rotisserie season where each team is ranked 1-10/12 at the end of every week?  I personally haven't played that style, but it does sound interesting.  Just played H2H points, H2H 1 win and rotisserie here.    

I could probably come up with a couple guys as well.  But getting a good base of 5-6 people right away would be immensely helpful.  I lost a $300 league, so I'd be fine on the lower end of the $300-500 spectrum, but not super interested in going lower.  These things are serious time commitments, and I am already in a couple cheaper leagues.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, I am referring to H2H points league. Basically where you match up against 1 other opponent per wekk in the 12 stat categories and can win 12-0, lose 0-12, or anything in between.  When you say "weekly points league" do you basically mean every week is like a separate rotisserie season where each team is ranked 1-10/12 at the end of every week?  I personally haven't played that style, but it does sound interesting.  Just played H2H points, H2H 1 win and rotisserie here.    

I could probably come up with a couple guys as well.  But getting a good base of 5-6 people right away would be immensely helpful.  I lost a $300 league, so I'd be fine on the lower end of the $300-500 spectrum, but not super interested in going lower.  These things are serious time commitments, and I am already in a couple cheaper leagues.  

To describe how points leagues work, everything is assigned a value. Below is an example scoring - I use this in my long-time keeper league. Similar buy-in $500. This league is slanted towards pitching value as you can see below - position players have caught up recently though. This isn't the scoring system I'd say we use, but this is the jist of it. So a good week would be your team scoring 300 points. You only change your roster at the beginning of the week - so decisions like "Should I start Sale with 1 start or Reylo with 2 starts vs bad team" this week always happen. In my opinion, we give far too much for wins and losses and not enough for quality starts and etc in this league, but I've been doing it for 10 years so I have adjusted to that. 

In general the benefit of this system is it has a fantasy football type feel - when you're starter pitches, for example, he can get you 50ish points with a CGSO which can be 1/6 of your weekly total. So you end up watching your players a lot more because their AB's and starts are huge points.

SCORING SYSTEM

BATTING NAME SETTINGS
1B Singles 1 point
2B Doubles 2 points
3B Triples 3 points
BB Walks (Batters) 1 point
CS Caught Stealing -1 point
HP Hit by Pitch 1 point
HR Home Runs 4 points
KO Strikeouts (Batter) -1 point
R Runs 1 point
RBI Runs Batted In 1 point
SB Stolen Bases 2 points
PITCHING NAME SETTINGS
BBI Walks Issued (Pitchers) -1 point
BS Blown Saves -5 points
ER Earned Runs -1 point
HA Hits Allowed -1 point
HB Hit Batsmen -1 point
INN Innings 2.5 points
K Strikeouts (Pitcher) 1 point
L Losses -5 points
S Saves 8 points
SO Shutouts 10 points
W Wins 10 points

The benefit of the above is that rosters tend to be more set - people aren't playing the D2D match-ups as well which I like. Match-ups need to be assessed a week before.

Another benefit is the scoring is up and down. You can go into a Sunday trailing by 100 and a big sunday wins you the week. This makes Sundays kind of like NFL Sunday. It's a really entertaining way of playing, but does take some getting used to. Also, because it's a H2H, you could have the most points and still miss the playoffs. We pay the top points team $1000 and then distribute the rest based on playoffs. 

One of the downsides is if someone gets hurt on Monday, they're in your lineup all week. That's just the luck of the draw to me though.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

To describe how points leagues work, everything is assigned a value. Below is an example scoring - I use this in my long-time keeper league. Similar buy-in $500. This league is slanted towards pitching value as you can see below - position players have caught up recently though. This isn't the scoring system I'd say we use, but this is the jist of it. So a good week would be your team scoring 300 points. You only change your roster at the beginning of the week - so decisions like "Should I start Sale with 1 start or Reylo with 2 starts vs bad team" this week always happen. In my opinion, we give far too much for wins and losses and not enough for quality starts and etc in this league, but I've been doing it for 10 years so I have adjusted to that. 

In general the benefit of this system is it has a fantasy football type feel - when you're starter pitches, for example, he can get you 50ish points with a CGSO which can be 1/6 of your weekly total. So you end up watching your players a lot more because their AB's and starts are huge points.

SCORING SYSTEM

BATTING NAME SETTINGS
1B Singles 1 point
2B Doubles 2 points
3B Triples 3 points
HP Hit by Pitch 1 point
HR Home Runs 4 points
R Runs 1 point
SB Stolen Bases 2 points
PITCHING NAME SETTINGS
BS Blown Saves -5 points
ER Earned Runs -1 point
HA Hits Allowed -1 point
HB Hit Batsmen -1 point
INN Innings 2.5 points
L Losses -5 points
S Saves 8 points
SO Shutouts 10 points
W Wins 10 points

Gotcha.  Interesting scoring method.  So at the end of the week the teams are ranked 1-12, and you get points assigned for that?  Otherwise it just sounds like a points rotisserie league if not broken out weekly somehow.  

Must admit tho, I am much more of a daily lineup moves fantasy guy.  Leagues with weekly lineup changes are great for certain folks, and I get that - I too have have played in them, but just not my thing.  I prefer doing it daily, and it definitely gives an edge to those that follow the sport closely.  

Hey guys....lost a league this year.  Looking to start a new $300-500 buy in league.  Looks like there could be some interest from this group.  If I started it, its going to be yahoo league (just my preference, don't care to debate it).  Any interest @BrianAnderson. @Look at Ray Ray Run, @cjgalloway, @iWiN4PreP, @BackDoorBreach, @maxjusttyped, @ron883, @Chicago White Sox, @MyNamesRod, @Seinfeldologist

Thoughts?  Happy to set this up if we can get to at least 10 people.  I run a lot of leagues and happy to provide references if you guys want - but its generally tough to fill leauges with higher buy ins, so felt here may be a good place to start to find peeps.  Would try to fill in league as necessary outside of Soxtalk.  

Let me know.

I’m in 

Gotcha.  Interesting scoring method.  So at the end of the week the teams are ranked 1-12, and you get points assigned for that?  Otherwise it just sounds like a points rotisserie league if not broken out weekly somehow.  

Must admit tho, I am much more of a daily lineup moves fantasy guy.  Leagues with weekly lineup changes are great for certain folks, and I get that - I too have have played in them, but just not my thing.  I prefer doing it daily, and it definitely gives an edge to those that follow the sport closely.  

It's a weekly head to head matchup. So my team would play yours. My team scores 300 and you score 280 and I'm 1-0 and you're 0-1. Scores reset the next week, you set your rosters on monday before first game, and watch your guys to to work. Given the value of 2 step pitchers (guys throwing twice in a week) you see a lot of matchups coming down to sunday starts. 

As weird as it sounds, in this structure the people who know the league and matchups excel more. A 7 game bat who rakes against lefties and has 3 starter lefties projected against him may be more valuable than a 5 game star with lesser matchups. It makes you look at weeks at a time. Sitting a stud arm who throws a CGSO for a middling arm with 2 starts who flames out is always good fun. 

As I said, I am good with whatever you decide. It was just a concept that I find entertaining from a forum/interaction standpoint and the trading is a big part of the league because you're trading for matchups to outscore your opponents matchups, and you may have to give up more than youd like.

If its daily, I'm good with that. Just want to assure that there are move limits and game/ip limits to limit volume players.

17 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Let me know.

Damn, I would have loved to be in.  But I can't stomach a Yahoo league again

17 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

SCORING SYSTEM

BATTING NAME SETTINGS
1B Singles 1 point
2B Doubles 2 points
3B Triples 3 points
HP Hit by Pitch 1 point
HR Home Runs 4 points
R Runs 1 point
SB Stolen Bases 2 points
PITCHING NAME SETTINGS
BS Blown Saves -5 points
ER Earned Runs -1 point
HA Hits Allowed -1 point
HB Hit Batsmen -1 point
INN Innings 2.5 points
L Losses -5 points
S Saves 8 points
SO Shutouts 10 points
W Wins 10 points

I'd be interested in a league - whether that be H2H points or H2H categories. However if we do points I'd suggest a format that follows this more: (sorry for the formatting)

I've been in a league now for 18 years and we've revised this over and over each year to make it the best possible. Wins and Losses for pitchers have found to be a bad representation - think Quintana with the Sox. Same with losses. You can have a pitchers duel and lose 10 pts. We've also revised saves down and added holds as we've found closers to be almost like kickers in football.

Batting
Runs Scored (R)
Singles (1B)
Doubles (2B)
Triples (3B)
Home Runs (HR)
Runs Batted In (RBI)
Walks (BB)
Strikeouts (K)
Hit by Pitch (HBP)
Stolen Bases (SB)

Pitching
Innings Pitched (IP)
Hits Allowed (H)
Earned Runs (ER)
Walks Issued (BB)
Hit Batsmen (HB)
Strikeouts (K)
Quality Starts (QS)
Shutouts (SO)
Saves (SV)
Holds (HD)

15 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I'd be interested in a league - whether that be H2H points or H2H categories. However if we do points I'd suggest a format that follows this more: (sorry for the formatting)

I've been in a league now for 18 years and we've revised this over and over each year to make it the best possible. Wins and Losses for pitchers have found to be a bad representation - think Quintana with the Sox. Same with losses. You can have a pitchers duel and lose 10 pts. We've also revised saves down and added holds as we've found closers to be almost like kickers in football.

Batting
Runs Scored (R)
Singles (1B)
Doubles (2B)
Triples (3B)
Home Runs (HR)
Runs Batted In (RBI)
Walks (BB)
Strikeouts (K)
Hit by Pitch (HBP)
Stolen Bases (SB)

Pitching
Innings Pitched (IP)
Hits Allowed (H)
Earned Runs (ER)
Walks Issued (BB)
Hit Batsmen (HB)
Strikeouts (K)
Quality Starts (QS)
Shutouts (SO)
Saves (SV)
Holds (HD)

This is pretty cool.

I actually modeled a scoring system for the league I cited above - and the old geezers didn't want to change it - that I thought paired directly with the overall value of a player. Meaning the top players from both the position players and pitchers shared nearly identical points and it paired really well with offensive WAR and pitching WAR based on weighted categories and points. I'll try and dig it up; although I think Chisox prefers categories which is fine with me as well. As I said, the only thing I really love about the points system is the fantasy football type feel to the scoring that makes watching your guys more enjoyable than getting 1 win with a good ERA and some K's. If a pitcher throws a CGSO with 10k's, that should have a huge impact on your week because it's not a common occurrence . I even had perfect game and not hitter bonuses (5 points and 10 points bonus respectively). 3 homer bonuses; cycle bonuses and etc. From that angle, it was fun to root for big time performances from players. It was a bit gimmicky at times, but it's fun. 

I have found that 8 points for a save and -5 for a BS with -5 for a loss helped top of the line closers score with top of the line pitchers.

1 hour ago, cjgalloway said:

Unless you can find a way for Yahoo to not lock the lineups on fucking MONDAY at midnight.. I don't have a computer at home so set my lineups on Monday morning.. I couldn't do that with Yahoo.

Huh?  Are you referring to a league where you set lineups weekly?  This will be a daily lineup league, so I don't think you'd have those issues. 

Alright boys, here is where I landed on league structure:

Buy-in: $350 

Scoring: H2H

# of teams: 12, but can reduce to 10 if need be

Payouts (if 12 team): 1st Place Regular Season: $1000; 2nd Place Regular Season:$600, 3rd Place Regular Season: $350, 1st place Playoffs: $1,500, 2nd Place Playoffs: $750

Payouts (if 10 team): 1st Place Regular Season: $1,000; 2nd Place Regular Season: $600, 1st Place Playoffs: $1,300, 2nd Place Playoffs: $600

Keepers: Each team can (but does not have to) keep 4 players.  Keepers are due by the end of the regular season.  The player will be kept for the next season in the round in which they were drafted in the previous season (ie: you draft Eloy in round 10, you can keep him in round 10 for the next season).  If the player was undrafted, it defaults to round 20.  If your 20th pick is taken by another keeper, it slides up to 19th, etc.   

Decided against draft pick trades and that gets really sticky when someone bails on the league in future years after having traded a bunch of picks.  Basically kills leagues.  

Here are raw settings:

League Name: $350 Keeper League - Year 1

Draft Type: Live Standard Draft
Draft Time: Tue Mar 24 8:00pm CDT [ Add to My Calendar ]
Live Draft Pick Time: 1 Minute, 30 Seconds
Max Teams: 12
Scoring Type: Head-to-Head
Player Universe: All baseball
New Players Become Available: As soon as Yahoo adds them View List of Forced Players
Max Acquisitions for Entire Season: No maximum
Max Trades for Entire Season No maximum
Trade End Date: August 9, 2020
Allow Draft Pick Trades: No
Waiver Time: 2 days
Waiver Type: FAAB w/ Continual rolling list tiebreak
Waiver Mode: Standard
Allow injured players from waivers or free agents to be added directly to injury slot: Yes
Can't Cut List Provider: Yahoo Sports
Trade Review: Commissioner
Trade Reject Time: 1 day
Post Draft Players: Follow Waiver Rules
Max Acquisitions per Week: 8
Min innings pitched per team per week: 30
Weekly Deadline: Daily - Today
Start Scoring on: Week 1
Playoffs: 6 teams - Week 22, 23 and 24 (ends Sunday, Sep 20)
Playoff Tie-Breaker: Higher seed wins
Playoff Reseeding: Yes
Lock Eliminated Teams: Yes
Divisions: No
Make League Publicly Viewable: No
Invite Permissions: Commissioner Only
Send unjoined players email reminders: Yes
Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, Util, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IL, IL, IL, NA, NA, NA
Batters Stat Categories: Runs (R), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Total Bases (TB), Batting Average (AVG), On-base Percentage (OBP)
Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins (W), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Strikeouts per Nine Innings (K/9), Quality Starts (QS)

@Look at Ray Ray Run, @Chicago White Sox, @BrianAnderson and @cjgalloway how does this look?  You guys in?  IF so DM your emails and I will send you invites.  

Any other thoughts?

Anyone else interested??  

Huh?  Are you referring to a league where you set lineups weekly?  This will be a daily lineup league, so I don't think you'd have those issues. 

Yes, I was referring to weekly technically.  But, Let's say I am setting my lineup on a tuesday.. Can I pick up a free agent on tuesday morning and still throw him into my starting lineup for tuesday (obviously before any games start)... That was my issue with weekly.

Edited by cjgalloway

2 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Let's say I am setting my lineup on a tuesday.. Can I pick up a free agent on tuesday morning and still throw him into my starting lineup for tuesday (obviously before any games start)... That was my issue with weekly.

Yes.  Whoever was running that league had the settings on daily (tomorrow) instead of daily (today).  I agree - that setting is truly awful.  But all fantasy providers have that setting - its not yahoo specific.  Its just a poorly designed league.  

You will be able to pick a guy up at 6:04pm and get him in your lineup for a 6:05 first pitch.