Extend Yoan Moncada

Jnooch

He has no reason to do it. He's already made his millions. It would shock me. He's going to be a FA at 28. Think of what Rendon gets this winter. You think he's going to pass up that kind of payday? 

If he was up for it, sure but I think it's a nonstarter. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

17 minutes ago, Jnooch said:

I would pay 100 mill right now even if we only secured an extra year. 5 yrs/100 mill. That what Houston gave Bergman.

I could see him doing this, as his free agency would be delayed by only a year and all his arbitration years would be bought out. I hope the Sox offer him something like this.

2 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I could see him doing this, as his free agency would be delayed by only a year and all his arbitration years would be bought out. I hope the Sox offer him something like this.

Hahn is the best in the business at this sort of thing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Ummm...the Indians probably had double the number of early extensions over the last two decades (when Hahn was already in charge of this for the Sox).  The Rays are way more proficient, for example.  

I mean, I think its pretty fair to give Hahn props for his extensions.  The only reason we have Moncada, Giolito, Eloy, Kopech Lopez and Cease are due to Hahn's extensions of key players.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean, I think its pretty fair to give Hahn props for his extensions.  The only reason we have Moncada, Giolito, Eloy, Kopech Lopez and Cease are due to Hahn's extensions of key players.  

But to say he’s the best in the business...when it’s standard operating procedure the last fifteen years?    

The Indians were even doing this in the mid 90’s.

And the only reason we have a rebuild is due to the fact we couldn’t successfully build a core, either through FA or the draft or player development, yes?   The difference is those other teams extended contention windows rather than being forced to auction off their best pieces.

In the end, signing extensions with Robert, Giolito and Moncada will all be considerably more difficult...despite the “friends and family” approach of keeping Abreu around much longer than anticipated.

• Love 1

16 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

But to say he’s the best in the business...when it’s standard operating procedure the last fifteen years?    

The Indians were even doing this in the mid 90’s.

And the only reason we have a rebuild is due to the fact we couldn’t successfully build a core, either through FA or the draft or player development, yes?   The difference is those other teams extended contention windows rather than being forced to auction off their best pieces.

In the end, signing extensions with Robert, Giolito and Moncada will all be considerably more difficult...despite the “friends and family” approach of keeping Abreu around much longer than anticipated.

Best in the business is obviously subjective.  I tend to be pro White Sox.

Edited by poppysox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Kyle Seager ended up passing Moncada after this tweet, but Yoan still finished 4th and this definitely would factor into a potential extension. Once he figured out the early throwing errors, he was automatic over there.

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes. I don't see any other way that it makes sense to him to give up any of his prime-earning years unless you're buying out his whole career.

Completely agree, and I would also be more than willing to do that if I'm the Sox. The nagging injuries may be a concern, but he's our first young superstar position player since Maggs and it's probably worth the risk. 

9 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Kyle Seager ended up passing Moncada after this tweet, but Yoan still finished 4th and this definitely would factor into a potential extension. Once he figured out the early throwing errors, he was automatic over there.

Completely agree, and I would also be more than willing to do that if I'm the Sox. The nagging injuries may be a concern, but he's our first young superstar position player since Maggs and it's probably worth the risk. 

If it's going to take that, I'm going to want to see him do it again, maybe even twice more. Then you're going to pay more, but you have the certainty that it wasn't just one awesome year. 

• Thanks 1