Sox Non-Tender Yolmer, Frare, Burr, Release Veiera

hogan873

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean these we’re pre arb guys. It clearly wasn’t to save money (ie: asking the players to take less). Looks like they simply didn’t want either in the org. Far greater chance to retain them via a DFA as opposed to non tendering when all other clubs can get them without committing a 40 man spot. 

Went full blown tard there for a second. Thanks.

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

Shaw was awful last year 

Yeah, I get that.  He was also ~7 WAR the 2 years prior and he plays 3 positions.  They also lost Moose and Grandal.  For a team that's broke they sure have a ton of holes to fill.

What was his arb number?

Edit: Found it, he was going to get around 4.7 in arb.  And he had a wrist injury this year that he missed a chunk of time with.  

Edited by BackDoorBreach

Sox made the right moves today.

Brewers are just clearing out the bottom part of their roster.  Some just too expensive. Like Yolmer- some team will sign him for less than the Sox would have had to tender him.  Shaw was unplayable last season - dropped .300 OPS points.  Hard to see how that could happen in one season.

Some names of the non-tendered could help the Sox. There's a pitcher on the list that some wanted to trade for.  No need now - the world is our oyster.

Edited by GreenSox

12 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I am somewhat shocked they didn’t keep Frare over Medeiros.

I am more shocked they just allowed him to become a FA without first exposing him to waivers and seeing if he'd clear.  The way this was handled, seemed to me the Sox just wanted Frare and Burr gone.  

Almost all of those names would be interesting to add. There's a lot I like there. Franco (RH DH platoon with Collins, when Abreu is at 1B), Treinen RP, Hernandez or Peraza as our stop gap 2B while we wait for Madrigal, Pillar or Santana as a RF cheap option, Taijuan Walker for our SP2. I love this non-tender list more than any year prior that I can remember

39 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

It wouldn't be too crazy to see them signed to minor league deals, right?

No, but there was a FAR higher likelihood of retaining them in the org when another team had to place Burr/Frare on their 40 man roster. Now all 30 clubs can sign them to a minor league deal without a 40 man spot.

I would think if the Sox wanted to retain them, they would have DFAd and not non tendered guys making MLB minimum. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am more shocked they just allowed him to become a FA without first exposing him to waivers and seeing if he'd clear.  The way this was handled, seemed to me the Sox just wanted Frare and Burr gone.  

I think with Burr they might believe they can resign him to a minor league deal due to his injury and that they are better off not exposing him to waivers.  I agree on Frare, it really seems like they want him gone.

Tijuan Walker and Gausman would be interesting 2nd tier adds. 

I refuse to admit I was wrong about Gausman and I refuse to accept that he flat out sucks. I don't care how much evidence tells me I'm wrong. It's amazing how far he's fallen so quickly too - his stuff was always a lot of fun to watch. Maybe he could figure out how to be a reliever consistently.

Walker is still only 27 years old and he's had some successes in his career. Injuries may have destroyed his career and he may never be the same again, but what's the harm in signing him and seeing what you can do?

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

46 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Tijuan Walker and Gausman would be interesting 2nd tier adds. 

I refuse to admit I was wrong about Gausman and I refuse to accept that he flat out sucks. I don't care how much evidence tells me I'm wrong. It's amazing how far he's fallen so quickly too - his stuff was always a lot of fun to watch. Maybe he could figure out how to be a reliever consistently.

Walker is still only 27 years old and he's had some successes in his career. Injuries may have destroyed his career and he may never be the same again, but what's the harm in signing him and seeing what you can do?

wow.  perfect example of TINSTAAPP.  I'd imagine he'll want to go to a club where he has a path to being a rotation guy.  Depending on how the Sox' offseason goes might be a NRI candidate but I bet someone bites on him for 3-5 million and guaranteed roster spot.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

wow.  perfect example of TINSTAAPP.  I'd imagine he'll want to go to a club where he has a path to being a rotation guy.  Depending on how the Sox' offseason goes might be a NRI candidate but I bet someone bites on him for 3-5 million and guaranteed roster spot.

Right. Plenty of rebuilding teams that could look to sign and flip him in July.

59 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

They are still rule 5 eligible.  Would not be surprised to see Burr taken and stashed on 60 day DL to begin with.  Not crazy about possibly losing a cheap arm.

Anyone could have signed them to a minimum contract. They won't be claimed, and even if they were, who cares?

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Anyone could have signed them to a minimum contract. They won't be claimed, and even if they were, who cares?

Burr is 25, threw 95mph , successful in minors and under cheap control until 2025.  Is that worth the 50k you get if you lose him?

On 12/3/2019 at 8:51 AM, ChiSox59 said:

In case anyone missed it:

White Sox re-signed LHP Caleb Frare to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.

Frare was non-tendered on Monday after surrendering three earned runs over just 2 2/3 innings at the major league level in 2019. The 26-year-old left-hander will likely open the 2020 campaign at Triple-A Charlotte.