McCann inks 1 year, 5.4M deal with Sox

soxfan49

Looks like we are set at catcher. What's Collins' role gonna be now? Split time at 1B with Jose and both play 1B and DH? I respect McCann but was hoping it was Collins time. We might as well trade Collins for a reliever instead of making him wait many years to catch like we did Karko.

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Looks like we are set at catcher. What's Collins' role gonna be now? Split time at 1B with Jose and both play 1B and DH? I respect McCann but was hoping it was Collins time. We might as well trade Collins for a reliever instead of making him wait many years to catch like we did Karko.

As it stands right now, Grandal is your starting catcher and McCann your starting DH, though it's interchangeable. That effectively makes Collins the primary backup 1B, DH, and catcher. He'll get at-bats.

4 hours ago, Quin said:

As it stands right now, Grandal is your starting catcher and McCann your starting DH, though it's interchangeable. That effectively makes Collins the primary backup 1B, DH, and catcher. He'll get at-bats.

I think it makes Collins the primary DH against righties since McCann doesn't hit them as well as lefties at least eary in the season. I think before Robert and Madrigal arrive we see Collins at DH a lot as the Sox try to generate some offense early in the season when they aren't at full strength to see if Collins can get it going with his OBP and power. If he can once Robert and Madrigal arrive and a productive Collins they look very strong in the lineup.

The only obstacle is Renteria if the last few weeks of the season regarding Collins playing time is any indication of future use. I think the FO realizes how significant a productive Collins can be and should be telling Renteria to play him early and often.

If the Sox sign a DH that changes. I'm guessing they roll with Collins.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think it makes Collins the primary DH against righties since McCann doesn't hit them as well as lefties at least eary in the season. I think before Robert and Madrigal arrive we see Collins at DH a lot as the Sox try to generate some offense early in the season when they aren't at full strength to see if Collins can get it going with his OBP and power. If he can once Robert and Madrigal arrive and a productive Collins they look very strong in the lineup.

The only obstacle is Renteria if the last few weeks of the season regarding Collins playing time is any indication of future use. I think the FO realizes how significant a productive Collins can be and should be telling Renteria to play him early and often.

If the Sox sign a DH that changes. I'm guessing they roll with Collins.

I don't think a new DH is in our future.  The rotation of catchers provide the DH position.

• Like 1