McCann inks 1 year, 5.4M deal with Sox

soxfan49

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I don't think a new DH is in our future.  The rotation of catchers provide the DH position.

This would be a big mistake. McCann is very likely to be an offensive liability, and Grandal is most valuable if you get him catching more often than not. As for Collins, I just don’t believe the organization is willing to count on him as primary DH.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

Looks like we are set at catcher. What's Collins' role gonna be now? Split time at 1B with Jose and both play 1B and DH? I respect McCann but was hoping it was Collins time. We might as well trade Collins for a reliever instead of making him wait many years to catch like we did Karko.

Trade bait.

• Haha 1

I really don't see the Sox just punting Collins in a trade.  He isn't going to have a ton of trade value, he is dirt cheap, and he provides two of the things our lineup needs most (high OBP/left handed).  Worst case scenario, IMO, is he starts the year in AAA as insurance.  I still think the Sox are going to do a C/DH/1B rotation something like this:

Grandal: Catcher 90 games, DH 30 games, 1B 30 games

McCann: Catcher: 60 games, DH 20 games, 1B 10 games (primarily plays against LHP)

Collins: Catcher: 10 games, DH 50 games, 1B 30 games (primarily plays against RHP)

Abreu: 1B 90 games, DH 60 games 

Not exact numbers, but something like the above should work.  I also think Eloy will be sprinkled in at DH a little more often than he was in 2019.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I really don't see the Sox just punting Collins in a trade.  He isn't going to have a ton of trade value, he is dirt cheap, and he provides two of the things our lineup needs most (high OBP/left handed).  Worst case scenario, IMO, is he starts the year in AAA as insurance.  I still think the Sox are going to do a C/DH/1B rotation something like this:

McCann: Catcher: 60 games, DH 20 games, 1B 10 games (primarily plays against LHP)

Collins: Catcher: 10 games, DH 50 games, 1B 30 games (primarily plays against RHP)

Not exact numbers, but something like the above should work.  I also think Eloy will be sprinkled in at DH a little more often than he was in 2019.  

A 4-headed monster to occupy C/DH/1B is the most likely outcome. Assuming Collins will become "trade bait" is just lazy. 

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I posted a similar breakdown last month. Your numbers look pretty good, and that's about what I'm expecting. In fact, I hope you are right on Abreu having only 90 games at 1B. Here are the quick numbers I threw together a couple weeks ago:

Catcher:  Grandal (90), McCann (50), Collins (22)

DH:  Collins (60), Abreu (38), Grandal (32), McCann (32)

1B:  Abreu (120), Grandal (30), Collins (12)

3 hours ago, fathom said:

This would be a big mistake. McCann is very likely to be an offensive liability, and Grandal is most valuable if you get him catching more often than not. As for Collins, I just don’t believe the organization is willing to count on him as primary DH.

OTOH, I think you can afford to give Collins some time to show off in april and may and then acquire a DH via trade. It will be minimal cost, as seen by multiple trades recently. I know I am someone who thinks this year matters, but you either trade him this offseason or you gotta let him get some PT.

18 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think it makes Collins the primary DH against righties since McCann doesn't hit them as well as lefties at least eary in the season. I think before Robert and Madrigal arrive we see Collins at DH a lot as the Sox try to generate some offense early in the season when they aren't at full strength to see if Collins can get it going with his OBP and power. If he can once Robert and Madrigal arrive and a productive Collins they look very strong in the lineup.

The only obstacle is Renteria if the last few weeks of the season regarding Collins playing time is any indication of future use. I think the FO realizes how significant a productive Collins can be and should be telling Renteria to play him early and often.

If the Sox sign a DH that changes. I'm guessing they roll with Collins.

14 hours ago, bmags said:

OTOH, I think you can afford to give Collins some time to show off in april and may and then acquire a DH via trade. It will be minimal cost, as seen by multiple trades recently. I know I am someone who thinks this year matters, but you either trade him this offseason or you gotta let him get some PT.

Very similar to what I said 4 hours before you did.