Ken Rosenthal, Jon Heyman say White Sox have better roster than Cubs for next five years

whitesoxjr27

It doesn’t take much to get White Sox and Cubs fans to start arguing about their teams.

For the last few years, it’s been a one-sided argument. The Cubs won a World Series and made four straight playoff appearances before collapsing late in 2019. The White Sox opted for a rebuild and haven’t made the postseason since 2008.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/ken-rosenthal-jon-heyman-say-white-sox-have-better-roster-cubs-next-five-years

11 minutes ago, whitesoxjr27 said:

It doesn’t take much to get White Sox and Cubs fans to start arguing about their teams.

For the last few years, it’s been a one-sided argument. The Cubs won a World Series and made four straight playoff appearances before collapsing late in 2019. The White Sox opted for a rebuild and haven’t made the postseason since 2008.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/ken-rosenthal-jon-heyman-say-white-sox-have-better-roster-cubs-next-five-years

I agree with Ken & Jon.

Three big decisions cost Theo.

1. Trading Eloy and Cease for Quintana. 

2. Not trading Schwarber when his value was peak - instead convincing himself he could be a nice NL player.

3. Trading Torres for Chapman. 

If he didn't trade Eloy, moving Schwarber becomes easier. 

He could have gotten an arm for Schwarber.

Not evaluating and moving on from Russell was also a mistake but a more difficult decision to make. 

Amazing to think that the one prospect theo didnt love and almost made expendable turned out to be his 2nd best player - Baez.

Imagine Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Torres and Eloy. Jaysus.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

The next one’s likely to be not auctioning off Contreras at peak value...and Happ/Almora falling backwards (in addition to Russell) when they really needed someone to step up for Zobrist.  None of their youngsters took the next step behind the Core 4 as they call them.

The bad FA $deals are always the headliners for Theo, but Lester was eventually going to get older and they haven’t been able to replenish the pitching pipeline internally.

In the end, having too many aging/injured AND expensive players catches up with you every time. Just ask Boston.

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

2. Not trading Schwarber when his value was peak - instead convincing himself he could be a nice NL player.

Not evaluating and moving on from Russell was also a mistake but a more difficult decision to make. 

Amazing to think that the one prospect theo didnt love and almost made expendable turned out to be his 2nd best player - Baez.

Those are some serious miscues for a boy genius.  Should make RH feel a little better.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Those are some serious miscues for a boy genius.  Should make RH feel a little better.

Sometimes the best moves are not making moves. I know you like Joc but I'm always against trading for a 1 yr . players . I hated the Samardzija trade and I hated all the talk about extending/resigning him despite every single sign and quote from him pointed to him becoming a free agent. Terrible trade in the 1st place but at least the Sox didn't compound it . Glad he chose free agency.

Sit on our talent . I rather see if they could succeed here than with another team. Cubs unloaded some serious talent.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sometimes the best moves are not making moves. I know you like Joc but I'm always against trading for a 1 yr . players . I hated the Samardzija trade and I hated all the talk about extending/resigning him despite every single sign and quote from him pointed to him becoming a free agent. Terrible trade in the 1st place but at least the Sox didn't compound it . Glad he chose free agency.

Sit on our talent . I rather see if they could succeed here than with another team. Cubs unloaded some serious talent.

I wasn't suggesting we make that trade.   Just gave a name in answer to a question.

I'm never going to fault Theo for getting Chapman.   He was a pretty big part of their final run into the playoffs and up until the World Series he was pretty good.  Theo knew Torres was gonna be good and paid the price that was required.

• Like 1

If it wasn't for a miracle rain delay that team would be the most underwhelming 5 year run of any contender in recent history. They had prospects, the GM and spent the money...and in short order they will be back to the lovable losers while the White Sox make all the headlines. I'm happy their die-hard fans got to see a championship, but talk about an ideal scenario for beaten down Southside fans. The cockiness and annoyance of Cubs fans hit such an obnoxious level that it's just desserts to see them fall apart just as quickly. Dynasty Broken.

7 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

If it wasn't for a miracle rain delay that team would be the most underwhelming 5 year run of any contender in recent history. They had prospects, the GM and spent the money...and in short order they will be back to the lovable losers while the White Sox make all the headlines. I'm happy their die-hard fans got to see a championship, but talk about an ideal scenario for beaten down Southside fans. The cockiness and annoyance of Cubs fans hit such an obnoxious level that it's just desserts to see them fall apart just as quickly. Dynasty Broken.

If you really want to drive them crazy...beat them in the World Series.

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

That's how you KEEP winning, hopefully our guys remember this when the time comes

Keep building the farm and the necessary help to win will be built in house

In all sports, often time going all in will cost a team long term (Blackhawks, Yankees, etc.)

16 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I'm never going to fault Theo for getting Chapman.   He was a pretty big part of their final run into the playoffs and up until the World Series he was pretty good.  Theo knew Torres was gonna be good and paid the price that was required.

True and as a final piece that worked out to win a World Series I am OK with it too. But we aren't that close yet so I'd rather not trade minor league talent just yet.

• Like 1

I agree that Schwarber should have been traded to the AL long ago but trades haven't hurt the Cubs as much poor free agent signings/bad contracts have.  Heyward, Darvish, and Chatwood are 3 mistakes Theo wishes he could have back. Without the Chapman trade the Cubs don't have a WS ring.  

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

True and as a final piece that worked out to win a World Series I am OK with it too. But we aren't that close yet so I'd rather not trade minor league talent just yet.

My comment in no way means I advocate trading prospects right now.   I am just talking about in respect to Theo's faults and mistakes.

14 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

My comment in no way means I advocate trading prospects right now.   I am just talking about in respect to Theo's faults and mistakes.

Oh i know what you were saying I was just arguing previously about hating trading for 1 year guys like Pederson and previously Samardzija. It never makes much sense to me especially now still looking to get in a position to compete rather than needing a final piece to win a World Series .

55 minutes ago, Good Guys said:

I agree that Schwarber should have been traded to the AL long ago but trades haven't hurt the Cubs as much poor free agent signings/bad contracts have.  Heyward, Darvish, and Chatwood are 3 mistakes Theo wishes he could have back. Without the Chapman trade the Cubs don't have a WS ring.  

Schwarber is the poster boy for the old axiom that it is better to trade a player a year to early rather than a year to late.

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

They played in three straight NLCS'. I wouldn't call that underwhelming. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Good Guys said:

And Morrow.  Soler/W.Davis didn't exactly work out, either.

All those Royals' pen arms were burned out in 2014-15.

13 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Disagree.  Chapman was so readily available, I didn't believe at the time that Cubs had to give up that much.  Still don't.  Theo had other ways to help his bullpen without giving up Torres.  Theo got played by Yank GM.

15 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Disagree.  Chapman was so readily available, I didn't believe at the time that Cubs had to give up that much.  Still don't.  Theo had other ways to help his bullpen without giving up Torres.  Theo got played by Yank GM.

Cool.   So what would he have to give up for one of the best closers in baseball in August and not be played?