Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES!

Cole Hamels to the Braves, 1 year $18 Million.

Recommended Posts

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

Maybe theres better ways to spend that 18 mill? 

Have you noticed yet how every deal on the FA market seems to look "Bad"? Maybe that says to sign players on the FA market you're going to have to spend more than you want, and that you need to adjust your expectations of contract amounts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Have you noticed yet how every deal on the FA market seems to look "Bad"? Maybe that says to sign players on the FA market you're going to have to spend more than you want, and that you need to adjust your expectations of contract amounts. 

Yeah, and I get that -- but... for Cole Hamels of all people??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

Yeah, and I get that -- but... for Cole Hamels of all people??

The way to phrase it is not "For Cole Hamels of all people", it is "For virtually all people including Cole Hamels".

This is the equivalent of a 1 year, $10 million contract a decade ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Maybe theres better ways to spend that 18 mill? 

If there's any team I trust to sign multiple players to short term contracts for cheap and have them perform, it's the White Sox.

Why spend $18 million on a solid #4 starter when you could have an unplayable DH, an instantly injured OF, and a significantly worse #4 starter for just $3 million more?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Maybe theres better ways to spend that 18 mill? 

Is it going to prevent them from signing anyone? No. They aren't near the lux tax. They have plenty of money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Wow pretty insane deal IMO. 18 million? I'm not a financial expert with contracts but that seems so huge for a pitcher that is in such decline!

Glad he didn't end up on the sox. Guess it means Braves are out on Bumgarner.

 

I think they still have room for MadBum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather have Kyle Gibson for 3 years and 30 than what Hamels got.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chw42 said:

I'd rather have Kyle Gibson for 3 years and 30 than what Hamels got.

This. By a long shot.

I understand that 18 mill isn't as astronomical as I originally thought... but gimmie that Gibson 10 mil a year over declining Hamels at 18 mil everyday. 

This seems like paying for the name value more than the output IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hamels did put up a 2.5 WAR last year missing 4 or 5 starts. It's not really an overpay. It's more than he would have received if the situation was the exact same as the last couple of years, but $18 million for one year isn't that bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in "Braves Country" and they were talking about this on sports blab when I was on my lunch break today.

 

Radio Guy 1: that's a lot of money for a #3 starter

Radio Guy 2: How much money do you think these guys make? That's normal. This isn't 2003.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Hamels did put up a 2.5 WAR last year missing 4 or 5 starts. It's not really an overpay. It's more than he would have received if the situation was the exact same as the last couple of years, but $18 million for one year isn't that bad. 

Only if you are Hamels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×