Joc Pederson - Is it goin down?

bmags

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean if the price is a guy like Sheets or Gonzalez..who cares? 

Apparently ChicagoWhiteSox the poster likes Sheets so he might. If you think the Dodgers will take Sheets and /or Gonzales for Pederson apparently you don't think highly of them but the Dodgers should. Round and round we go.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Thank you ! My point exactly. No one knows who will reach full potential and trading Rutherford or whoever for 1 year of Joc in a season where Joc is useless if we don't make the playoffs is just a poor choice rather than giving your so called fringe OF prospects another year.

We are going for it next year and Joc would be a big part of that.  Saying he would useless if we miss the playoffs is straight up ridiculous.  If the price is a fringe prospect like Rutherford, I’m 100% for it.  I’d much rather risk the 1/1000 chance Blake develops into a star than go with a questionable stop-gap in RF who may potentially cost us a year of Moncada, Giolito, Eloy, etc.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

We are going for it next year and Joc would be a big part of that.  Saying he would useless if we miss the playoffs is straight up ridiculous.  If the price is a fringe prospect like Rutherford, I’m 100% for it.  I’d much rather risk the 1/1000 chance Blake develops into a star than go with a questionable stop-gap in RF who may potentially cost us a year of Moncada, Giolito, Eloy, etc.

Better get Wheeler then before Joc wouldn't you agree ? And 1 or 2 of Lopez, Kopech or Cease have the kind of year Gio had. Otherwise you still have a 2 good starters in Wheeler and Gio if neither regress of course. Not enough to make the playoffs or go very far in them.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Better get Wheeler then before Joc wouldn't you agree ? And 1 or 2 of Lopez, Kopech or Cease have the kind of year Gio had. Otherwise you still have a 2 good starters in Wheeler and Gio if neither regress of course. Not enough to make the playoffs or go very far in them.

I think we sign a second starter and I have faith that Cease & Kopech can be useful rotation pieces next year.  As for the timing of a potential Joc trade, it all depends on the price.  That being said, I would definitely be more aggressive with Wheeler already in the fold.

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

In one universe, we sign Wheeler, Hamels, a bullpen arm, and trade for Joc.

In another universe, we sign Wheeler, Hamels, a bullpen arm, and Calhoun. 

What is the difference in wins between the two teams?

By WAR, probably around 1.5 since the only thing that changed was Joc and Calhoun.  

But adding a 2 or 3 WAR RF we are adding 5 or 6 wins based off last year lol.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think we sign a second starter and I have faith that Cease & Kopech can be useful rotation pieces next year.  As for the timing of a potential Joc trade, it all depends on the price.  That being said, I would definitely be more aggressive with Wheeler already in the fold.

Look I get it. Everyone wants to make the playoffs . It's just my personal belief that even with Wheeler and whoever the 2nd starter we acquire turns out to be we are still too far from making the playoffs. So much has to go right starting with getting Wheeler and another pitcher which is a big obstacle right there.It's premature to spend assets on Joc and it isn't ridiculous saying unless we make the playoffs he's useless no more so than me saying your notions about making the playoffs is ridiculous or your faith in Kopech and Cease next year.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Yep, if you get Wheeler, you need to sign a one-year guy for the back-end at $8-12 million (Hamels will be way too expensive).

You have to add one more solid RH reliever...although somehow I have a feeling it will be the likes of Hunter Strickland or Treinen, the rebound names everyone's kicking the tires on.

With the pen, unless you're paying elite talent (and I'm not convinced that Betances is worth that money coming off an injury, and Hudson's had two TJ's already)....maybe two veterans at $4-6 million is a better approach.  Herrera was just a terrible miscalculation, who never should have been necessary in the first place had our farm system been more productive with all the collegiate relievers or converted starters we were targeting over two draft cycles.

That basically leaves DH and the lingering questions about Collins' ability to get 60-70% of the total at-bats there against RHP.

Or how much you want to rely on Leury, vs. Calhoun/Pederson, et al.

4 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Get Joc first.  If it turns out they can make a deal with Boras for Castellanos later, they can always DH him and use him in RF against LHP.

You don't/can't trade any significant assets for Pederson unless you at LEAST have one of the front-line (top 7 FA's signed and in the fold.)   You PROBABLY need to get one of Wheeler/Ryu/Bumgarner to justify pushing even more cash/trade chips into the all-in for 2020 ante.

The Dodgers have no reason to be desperate to offload him THIS week or next, the deal will still be there for the White Sox to circle back around on.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Yep, if you get Wheeler, you need to sign a one-year guy for the back-end at $8-12 million (Hamels will be way too expensive).

You have to add one more solid RH reliever...although somehow I have a feeling it will be the likes of Hunter Strickland or Treinen, the rebound names everyone's kicking the tires on.

With the pen, unless you're paying elite talent (and I'm not convinced that Betances is worth that money coming off an injury, and Hudson's had two TJ's already)....maybe two veterans at $4-6 million is a better approach.  Herrera was just a terrible miscalculation, who never should have been necessary in the first place had our farm system been more productive with all the collegiate relievers or converted starters we were targeting over two draft cycles.

That basically leaves DH and the lingering questions about Collins' ability to get 60-70% of the total at-bats there against RHP.

Or how much you want to rely on Leury, vs. Calhoun/Pederson, et al.

You can absolutely still sign Hamels and should. If you sign a second starter, might well get a decent one who can get hot for a few months. 

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

You can absolutely still sign Hamels and should. If you sign a second starter, might well get a decent one who can get hot for a few months. 

At $15 million?

What about for a two year commitment?  I saw someone forecasting 2/$25, that seems really light coming off the season he had last year...with Gibson at 3/$30 already.

If we put too much money into starting pitching, what do we do if the back end of the bullpen falls apart?  There's already $20 million invested in Colome and Herrera...

Hamels seems like he would sign that deal only to go back to Philly, if he really enjoyed his time there.

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

I'm sure Nick knows he is an awful fielder and can make a lot of money being a good DH. 

The Sox’ need for Nick’s services severely decreases with a Joc acquisition, which means the team wouldn’t win any $$$$ bidding war, because they wouldn’t need to.  

The Sox will get one or the other, if anything, but they won’t get both. The reason they trade for Joc would be to save money after spending a ton on pitching. Not to just then add Castellano’s as well. I don’t see that happening.