Joc Pederson - Is it goin down?

bmags

If push comes to shove and Joc is awesome for us but we can't agree on a long term deal, can't we give him a QO for 2021? Yes it would be a big overpayment but it would secure his services for another year during the window and no one is giving up a 2nd rounder for a platoon player. I think we also have alot of space in 2021.

Dodgers could use a starting catcher (better than Will Smith or Austin Barnes) and most definitely a decent back-up catcher, or both.

My guess is that they would want McCann and if they can't get him, then Collins plus Fulmer for one year of Joc.

I am a big fan of Benintendi and Castellanos so personally, I would rather see the Sox exhaust those options before dealing with the Dodgers  for Pederson .

I am just not sold on Pederson as a one year rental.  I don't think Joc would want to stay here in ChiTown unless the Sox overwhelm him with a multi-year deal, and I really doubt they would. 

There are personal decisions by players and their agents  that factor into these trades.

Pederson was born and raised California so maybe he wouldn't like playing in Chicago and commuting across the country to where his family is from.

Or he does it for a year, doesn't like it here,  and decides to go the FA route. 

20 minutes ago, tray said:

Dodgers could use a starting catcher (better than Will Smith or Austin Barnes) and most definitely a decent back-up catcher, or both.

My guess is that they would want McCann and if they can't get him, then Collins plus Fulmer for one year of Joc.

I am a big fan of Benintendi and Castellanos so personally, I would rather see the Sox exhaust those options before dealing with the Dodgers  for Pederson .

I am just not sold on Pederson as a one year rental.  I don't think Joc would want to stay here in ChiTown unless the Sox overwhelm him with a multi-year deal, and I really doubt they would. 

McCann and Fulmer? Sure

They shouldn't trade Collins away. Period. Let alone for a rental. 

• Like 2

nick:

Sox would be selling high on McCann but  low on Collins, so what you say makes sense.

Anyway, I want the Italian kid who was born in the Midwest (Benintendi) in RF for us. 

I just don't see the West coast beach boy (Pederson) fitting in as well  here.

Edited by tray

17 minutes ago, tray said:

nick:

Anyway, I want the Italian kid who was born in the Midwest (Benintendi) in RF for us. 

I just don't see the West coast beach boy (Pederson) fitting in as well  here.

This is a really strange take that ignores all other considerations (such as cost to acquire) in favor of ethnic background & geographic upbringing.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is a really strange take that ignores all other considerations (such as cost to acquire) in favor of ethnic background & geographic upbringing.

Maybe he was listening to Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra while eating  lasagna and drinking  Lambrusco after long hours of practicing on his accordion . Salute !

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Chisox378 said:

Joc should be extended if we get him. If he can play CF he is even more valuable (yes I still think Robert needs a full year in the minors)

Robert will be up after 15 days as long as he doesn’t strike out 45 times in those 45 ABs. I initially said put Robert in RF and acquire a CF, but have since rescinded that statement. You aren’t acquiring Joc to play CF over Robert... he’d play CF for 15 days while Robert is with the Knights, then go to right with Robert in CF. You don’t waste Robert’s speed or defensive abilities in RF, unless you have Mike Trout. Angels will gladly move Jo Adell to RF because of this. 

I'm going to go with the idea that this reported interest in Joc is a ploy to get Boras and Castellanos to agree to terms. He might not have a lot of suitors, and if the Sox trade for Joc, then one of his biggest suitors is out. Basically I'm speculating that the Sox are telling Boras/Castellanos to shit or get off the pot.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I'm going to go with the idea that this reported interest in Joc is a ploy to get Boras and Castellanos to agree to terms. He might not have a lot of suitors, and if the Sox trade for Joc, then one of his biggest suitors is out. Basically I'm speculating that the Sox are telling Boras/Castellanos to shit or get off the pot.

This is a good angle. I’ve been pounding the table for Castellanos since free agency opened. His bat translates so well to the Cell. 

3 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I honestly feel that way as well.

19 minutes ago, Sarava said:

It's not a ploy. The Sox have been watching him everyday of every spring training for the last 5 years. Kenny wants this guy.