Joc Pederson - Is it goin down?

bmags

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm just amazed that the Sox go through a rebuild and people are so desperate to win that all the scouts on this board are willing to dump years of control for 1 year of a decent player. Didn't we hear the same shit about Semien, Bassitt , Phegley, Ravelo who are all still getting MLB appearances with an MVP candidate in the group ,while Samardzija is long gone and Michael Ynoa hasn't pitched in MLB for 2 years.

This is just cherry-picking one bad deal.  How many prospects actually amount to anything?  I’m still not sure what you’re suggesting with our OF glut.  Another bad season and some of those guys will have zero trade value.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Honestly though, I wouldn’t trade Adolfo for Joc. Adolfo is going to be a dude at some point. We’ve made it this far with him, you can’t move him at his lowest value in years. 

Adolfo has star potential and is worth holding onto IMO even if the odds are low he reaches his ceiling.  But someone like Rutherford should be moved if he still has any value left.  He’s one bad season away from being worthless.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is just cherry-picking one bad deal.  How many prospects actually amount to anything?  I’m still not sure what you’re suggesting with our OF glut.  Another bad season and some of those guys will have zero trade value.

I do agree with you about this. They just better make sure they choose the correct ones to move.KW actually got several major leaguers in the early 2000s for crap.. of course back then, everthing was crap.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If the theory is correct and leaking cost the White Sox a Joc trade last year, why would this leak be different?

Iirc, it wasnt the leak itself. It was the whole trade leaked. Fans and other front offices convinced they could top it made a market correction there that we were giving up a reliever with an era in the 4s for a household name. Now it's a bit funny to think about.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I do agree with you about this. They just better make sure they choose the correct ones to move.KW actually got several major leaguers in the early 2000s for crap.. of course back then, everthing was crap.

KW used to be fantastic at self-scouting, but we’ve definitely struggled quite a bit under Hahn.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

KW used to be fantastic at self-scouting, but we’ve definitely struggled quite a bit under Hahn.

I think he was a better salesman and hype man than self scouter - it was easy to assume all your prospects were shit when you were the White Sox back then. Either way, it worked for him.

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Cherry picking ? Isn't it the last time the Sox traded for a rental ? I'm suggesting that you and the rest of the scouts here have no idea who will be a good player in the future and who won't be. I'd sacrifice most of them flaming out for one of them becoming more than what anyone here thinks they will be.

It's so easy to crap on prospects and be right because most of them do not become what we expect or hope. Do you honestly trust the Sox evaluation of their own minor league players over a a team like the Dodgers ? They aren't going to give up Pederson without someone they really think has a future.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Cherry picking ? Isn't it the last time the Sox traded for a rental ? I'm suggesting that you and the rest of the scouts here have no idea who will be a good player in the future and who won't be. I'd sacrifice most of them flaming out for one of them becoming more than what anyone here thinks they will be.

It's so easy to crap on prospects and be right because most of them do not become what we expect or hope. Do you honestly trust the Sox evaluation of their own minor league players over a a team like the Dodgers ? They aren't going to give up Pederson without someone they really think has a future.

So your plan is to hold onto all of them in hopes that one of them exceeds expectations rather use some of them you don’t really like to fill holes on the major league roster or acquire minor league depth?

13 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Todd Frazier too, was a similar move...albeit he had one additional year of control, if I remember correctly.

But there's a long list of Sox players who weren't much in our system...guys like Jose Martinez (or who were constantly injured) or even Eduardo Escobar, who have gone on to have quite productive major league careers.

Under KW, we were also able to find undervalued assets like de Aza, Humber, Thornton, Jenks, Sergio Santos, and usually get something positive out of them...it seems that we haven't really found one of those guys like the Dodgers/Astros/Cardinals seem to come up with every year, FOR AGES.

We had Palka, I guess, in 2018.   Fry, who defied the odds despite two TJ surgeries and being a failed starter.  Bummer.  Narvaez, although someone was just attempting to trade away Colome for another rental in Joc.   Not much of a track record for the better part of three plus years of rebuilding.  We recycled through a never-ending series of outfielders and 1B/DH types...and still don't have a DH and RF.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So your plan is to hold onto all of them in hopes that one of them exceeds expectations rather use some of them you don’t really like to fill holes on the major league roster or acquire minor league depth?

Choose the top 2, probably Walker and Adolfo...and dump the rest of them at 30 cents on the dollar.

Let Rutherford turn into Ryan Sweeney, Jr., in another organization.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Choose the top 2, probably Walker and Adolfo...and dump the rest of them at 30 cents on the dollar.

I mean, if your fear is we don’t know which guy(s) will be good and who will be bad, there’s no guarantee we ever give the right guy an opportunity.  So instead of operating in fear, self scout as best you can and extract value where possible.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I’d hold onto Adolfo & Basabe.  I do like Walker, but I think I’d explore his trade value while there is still some hope he can play CF.  That being said, I wouldn’t sell him for pennies on the dollar.

• Like 1