Badler Day - our 2020 Intl Review

bmags

He pushed these back after an article on how there was too little info on players since they signed earlier and earlier and the teams typically hid them after verbal agreements.

Highlights:

Yolbert:

Some clubs viewed Sanchez comparable to a minor league free agent, though others thought he would fit into the top three rounds of a draft because of his defensive ability at a premium position.

Tatis:

Tatis has a simple, repeatable swing from the right side and a solid eye for the strike zone, though he doesn't have much strength or power at this point.

Bailey:

At his size, Bailey's swing will probably always have some length, but he's a patient hitter with a good eye for the strike zone, which helped him hit immediately when he got to the DSL and faced better pitching than he was used to seeing in Panama. He's a corner outfielder who moves well for his size, though he will probably down as he gets older.

Veras:

Veras, 17, attracted the White Sox attention for his righthanded power coming from his 6-foot-2, 180-pound frame, driving the ball out of the park to the middle of the field already, with the physical upside for more when he gets stronger. A below-average runner, Veras has a chance to stick at third base, where he has a strong arm and impressed White Sox officials with his hands and footwork.

There is more so this is being nice. Small write-up, several follow-ups to 2018-19 class.

There is good stuff in here. The Benyamin Bailey write-up is really promising. Cristian Mena is a 16-year-old RHP from Dominican Republic as well. Athletic, projectable frame, easy delivery, and feel for 3 pitches. 91 MPH FB with a power breaking ball already. High spin rate curveballs. 

19 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

There is good stuff in here. The Benyamin Bailey write-up is really promising. Cristian Mena is a 16-year-old RHP from Dominican Republic as well. Athletic, projectable frame, easy delivery, and feel for 3 pitches. 91 MPH FB with a power breaking ball already. High spin rate curveballs. 

Mena's are the types of write-ups you want from a 16 year old. I really dislike how the sox keep going for young power/unprojectable body types though. They seem to end up with a lot of 19 year old first baseman out of international.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, bmags said:

Have seen nada.

I should clarify, we have been speculated to be in on colas if he goes next period.

I know we signed Yolbert Sanchez who was touted from the 2018 class, but 2019 seemed fairly disappointing in terms of international signings.

I realize we got a few guys, but hopefully we can nab some top 30 talents in the 2020 class.

On 1/21/2020 at 3:51 PM, bmags said:

Have seen nada.

I should clarify, we have been speculated to be in on colas if he goes next period.

If Colas is the real deal and the Sox decide to pursue him, you'd have to think we're definite frontrunners with our group of Cubans. 

On 1/21/2020 at 4:58 PM, steveno89 said:

I know we signed Yolbert Sanchez who was touted from the 2018 class, but 2019 seemed fairly disappointing in terms of international signings.

I realize we got a few guys, but hopefully we can nab some top 30 talents in the 2020 class.

I think the way this organization is laid out now, and the way Paddy operates in general, it will always be quantity over perceived quality. Paddy would rather have 6 guys near the back end of the top 30 or into the 40-50 range than 2 guys near the top unless that guy is a generational talent like Robert.

21 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think the way this organization is laid out now, and the way Paddy operates in general, it will always be quantity over perceived quality. Paddy would rather have 6 guys near the back end of the top 30 or into the 40-50 range than 2 guys near the top unless that guy is a generational talent like Robert.

That would be fine if he actually did that but he has really only had one class that looked like that.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

That would be fine if he actually did that but he has really only had one class that looked like that.

Yeah, I agree with this - I'm not sure what to think of it, as this is what Paddy clearly excels preaches but the execution hasn't been there. Hopefully that'll change.

I still think the White Sox feel morally uncomfortable in this market, but that is pure skepticism and coming from no actual knowledge.

11 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I agree with this - I'm not sure what to think of it, as this is what Paddy clearly excels preaches but the execution hasn't been there. Hopefully that'll change.

I still think the White Sox feel morally uncomfortable in this market, but that is pure skepticism and coming from no actual knowledge.

This is like the KW-JR thing with Hahn.

Some will say Paddy should quit if he's not receiving the resources or support he needs, but he also has one of the most secure positions in the industry.

If you go by the success or projected success of Abreu, Tatis and Robert, that’s one of the most successful runs for any teams in the majors.  But if you look beyond those topline guys, other than Adolfo...who’s at best a huge question mark, we probably have the worst record in the big leagues in Latin American talent identification, converting on those targets and development, especially on the pitching side.

https://southsideshowdown.com/2015/07/02/chicago-white-sox-add-4-international-free-agents/
None of those other three signed with Tatis have done much.  But it's always a crapshoot, right?

Just looked it up, Paddy wasn’t as involved with Quintana, fwiw.

“The Chicago White Sox scouts Daraka Shaheed and Joe Siers, who watched Quintana pitch in the FSL the previous season, recommended that the team sign him.“ 

Can you really count Abreu and Robert in that though? It's not like the Sox "found" them.  They were both considered can't miss guys, every scout knew that.  The Cuban thing is clearly beyond just perception at this point. 

With that being said the LatAm thing is one of the more frustrating things about this franchise.

25 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Can you really count Abreu and Robert in that though? It's not like the Sox "found" them.  They were both considered can't miss guys, every scout knew that.  The Cuban thing is clearly beyond just perception at this point. 

With that being said the LatAm thing is one of the more frustrating things about this franchise.

Well, Viciedo wasn’t far off from can’t miss, he was the highest under 21 bonus at that time...but we also know about Rusney Castillo, Yasmani Tomas, Hector Olivera and Jorge Soler until last season, etc.  

So they have to get credit for being right 4/5 times, if you include Alexei Ramirez, too.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/arikaplan/2018/12/23/the-value-of-the-mlb-deal-with-cuba/#4f379dd1149c

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, Viciedo wasn’t far off from can’t miss, he was the highest under 21 bonus at that time...but we also know about Rusney Castillo, Yasmani Tomas, Hector Olivera and Jorge Soler until last season, etc.  

So they have to get credit for being right 4/5 times, if you include Alexei Ramirez, too.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/arikaplan/2018/12/23/the-value-of-the-mlb-deal-with-cuba/#4f379dd1149c

I'm not trying to discredit the Sox at all, at the end of the day they were able to lock up 2 cogs for this eventual playoff machine.

There is a difference though signing an under 21 LatAM prospect and signing one that is polished and 26 or 27 or whatever Abreu was.  That kind of talent at that age is noticeably MLB caliber, the same with a guy like Gurriel. And LuBob is/was being heralded as a generational type player.  My point is both of those 2 moves were relatively low risk, in relative terms. 

Wake me up when they start churning out 100k signing bonus guys into MLB starters. 

Edited by BackDoorBreach

3 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I'm not trying to discredit the Sox at all, at the end of the day they were able to lock up 2 cogs for this eventual playoff machine.

There is a difference though signing an under 21 LatAM prospect and signing one that is polished and 26 or 27 or whatever Abreu was.  That kind of talent at that age is noticeably MLB caliber, the same with a guy like Gurriel. And LuBob is/was being heralded as a generational type player.  My point is both of those 2 moves were relatively low risk, in relative terms. 

Wake me up when they start churning out 100k signing bonus guys into MLB starters. 

Benyamin Fooking Bailey. The guy is going to be a god damn stud. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It's not much so far. I'm hoping for something bigger but they have the funds and it's their typical playbook. 

ah, I thought the $2 mill committed may have something good.

Colas would be a relief, though I'm a bit surprised to read how many "7 figure" Cuban prospects there were, seems like they get such pub when they become available.

Very freakin annoyed the Astros could come out and make a splash signing, ridiculous they weren't Braves'd out of international.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is probably bs, but worth a share.

The youngest brother is supposed to be the best of the bunch and the Sox are reportedly signing him too. It's 2022 though international draft could mess up those plans potentially. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2