Sox have checked in on Pineda, but he signs with Twins

Sockin

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The first year is pro-rated for his suspension, so its really a 2 year ~$17.5M deal.  

Really surprised no one beat that in this market.  

That was my expect sentiment when I saw the deal on twitter. Surprised Pineda could not get a larger commitment elsewhere given how pricy pitching has become. He's not a world beater, but is a solid #3/4 guy. 

52 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

That was my expect sentiment when I saw the deal on twitter. Surprised Pineda could not get a larger commitment elsewhere given how pricy pitching has become. He's not a world beater, but is a solid #3/4 guy. 

How many all-in teams can afford to punt on the first 40 games of the season...?  The Twins don’t consider the White Sox or Indians threats, yet, especially if CLE trades Lindor, Kluber and Jose Ramirez (likely 2/3.)

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

How many all-in teams can afford to punt on the first 40 games of the season...?  The Twins don’t consider the White Sox or Indians threats, yet, especially if CLE trades Lindor, Kluber and Jose Ramirez (likely 2/3.)

I am not even sure I consider the Twins that much of threat.  They still have 2 gigantic holes in the rotation (3 for the first 40 games), a hole at 1B or 3B, horrific IF defense, and their best OF can't stay on the field for more than week.  

The chances the Twins repeat their miracle 2019 is extremely low.  They look like a slightly above .500 team right now.  I suspect they'll sign some more pitching, and be the ALC favorite, but they have a lot of work to do as well, and have shown little ability to add impact FA.

If you guy's think the Sox are cheap, the largest FA contract in franchise history to a position player is 3/$24M to Jason fuckin' Castro.  Imagine that.  

Edited by ChiSox59

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am not even sure I consider the Twins that much of threat.  They still have 2 gigantic holes in the rotation (3 for the first 40 games), a hole at 1B or 3B, horrific IF defense, and their best OF can't stay on the field for more than week.  

The chances the Twins repeat their miracle 2019 is extremely low.  They look like a slightly above .500 team right now.  I suspect they'll sign some more pitching, and be the ALC favorite, but they have a lot of work to do as well, and have shown little ability to add impact FA.

If you guy's think the Sox are cheap, the largest FA contract in franchise history to a position player is 3/$24M to Jason fuckin' Castro.  Imagine that.  

This, I assume, is ignoring Mauer?

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

They just offered 5 and $100 to Wheeler.   The Mauer extension blows away anything the White Sox have done.   They don’t sign external free agents because their farm system (see Tampa) used to produce a bucketload of them until the early 2010’s.  One year, they went out and signed Santana, Hughes and Nicasio the same offseason for the rotation.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They just offered 5 and $100 to Wheeler.   The Mauer extension blows away anything the White Sox have done.   They don’t sign external free agents because their farm system (see Tampa) used to produce a bucketload of them until the early 2010’s.  One year, they went out and signed Santana, Hughes and Nicasio the same offseason for the rotation.

I am aware of all of this.  How'd those Santana, Hughes and Nolasko (not Nicasio) contracts work out?  

The Twins are a super cheap org.  Unfortunately they are now run by two dudes who absolutely know what they're doing, but they're going to have serious financial restraints, and their window is now.  

Edited by ChiSox59

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am aware of all of this.  How'd those Santana, Hughes and Nolasko (not Nicasio) contracts work out?  

The Twins are a super cheap org.  Unfortunately they are now run by two dudes who absolutely know what they're doing, but they're going to have serious financial restraints, and their window is now.  

Twins absolutely should go all in to win in 2020 because the White Sox will only be much stronger by 2021 onward. Sox are rising at a time the well coincides with the Royals, Tigers and especially Indians' decline.