Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

The fact that we're  even talking about a Plan B is bullshit when Plan A should have always been and should now still be to SIGN COLE OR STRAS. We are all a bunch of dumbasses for falling for this shit. Every single one of us is smart enough to know that if you can pay $250 million plus for Machado, you can pay the same amount for a franchise altering pitcher, and so is Jerry. I'll take my chances every single time with Cole/ Stras + Moustakas (estimated $50M/ year) over Wheeler+ Machado (roughly $54M/ year). That said, I choose to believe we sign Cole or Stras until they actually sign elsewhere.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, MeanJoeCrede said:

The fact that we're  even talking about a Plan B is bullshit when Plan A should have always been and should now still be to SIGN COLE OR STRAS. We are all a bunch of dumbasses for falling for this shit. Every single one of us is smart enough to know that if you can pay $250 million plus for Machado, you can pay the same amount for a franchise altering pitcher, and so is Jerry. I'll take my chances every single time with Cole/ Stras + Moustakas (estimated $50M/ year) over Wheeler+ Machado (roughly $54M/ year). That said, I choose to believe we sign Cole or Stras until they actually sign elsewhere.

You say we are all dumbasses for falling for it but in the same paragraph still choose to think Cole or stras sign here...... take a deep breath man and realize that simply isn’t going to happen. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

You say we are all dumbasses for falling for it but in the same paragraph still choose to think Cole or stras sign here...... take a deep breath man and realize that simply isn’t going to happen. 

Why not? We've all CHOSEN to believe the narrative. Hahn giving it a shot, probably to appease Jerry, to land the best cheapest option(Wheeler) does not mean they havent discussed the fact that they might not be successful and might just have to spend more to get what we absolutely, positively NEED. No way I believe Hahn or Jerry assumed they would automatically get Wheeler and if not, the rest of the lower tier would be just fine. Love em or hate em, nobody gets to their respective positions by being that clueless and unprepared.

5 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I disagree. They are doing the opposite of what they did last off season. We should all be encouraged 

Agreed. I don’t understand all the handwringing and b****ing. They went out and got a top target in Grandal that almost everyone in this board put as a top target. They were then the top bidder on the pitcher everyone wanted. It sucks they didn’t get him, but to assume it’s the “same old White Sox” and that it’s a complete failure of an offseason seems like an unjustified overreaction. 

If they sit on their hands and do nothing the rest of the way, then by all means, roast appropriately. But IMO they are clearly slowing they are being aggressive, which is not something we have seen in the past. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love the fact that the Sox offered the most for not one but two FA. They converted on one and they didn’t on the other. They have learned their lesson. When it came out that the Phillies got Wheeler everyone said “omg how can they get outbid!” Then it came out that they offered the most and people said “they should have just offered more!” How does anyone know that 130 would have sealed the deal ? Maybe the Sox had to offer an amount that was ridiculous (Corbin) to get Wheeler to sign. I’m glad they didn’t do that. That would turn ugly

Edited by Orlando
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I wonder if he is going to. I mean it's not like last year where they were full of bravado about signing a big fish. It was very subdued this time. What is there to answer to really?

Yeah I would imagine they just move to plan b whatever that might be.

29 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Many fans who are as disappointed as the organization will point to Gerrit Cole or Stephen Strasburg as the next starting options. But the White Sox aren’t necessarily looking for a pitcher for the top of their rotation, or one in their projected financial stratosphere as much as finding a veteran to fit with Lucas Giolito, Reynaldo López, Dylan Cease and the return of a healthy Michael Kopech.

I'm not angry about the wheeler thing, and I am glad they're going to continue their pursuits and shore up the roster. It was an OK piece by merkin but that paragraph above is a joke. The logic for the Sox not looking for the best is just awful.

Just call it what it is; their owner won't spend that kind of money on a pitcher, period. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

I am legitimately curious what the FO's actual Plan B is.  They clearly were all in on Wheeler, and I shudder to say this, but they have to of had a backup plan.  The writing is on the wall from Stone and others they did not have any intention to go after #1 and #2, which I think is extremely short sighted.  I'm going to let myself down for about the 5th time I think in the last year, but how do they not make some offers on those guys now and explain that to the fans?