Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

2 hours ago, zisk said:

Hence the inclusion of Porcello. RP has a weird career pattern of being good every other year. Guess which year it is. One thing to like about

Porcello also, is his willingness to pitch inside. He hits 10-12 hitters almost every year even with really good control. He knows his stuff isn't

great so he actually pitches.

Mentioned this a few times but I think Porcello tried to buy into the elevated 4seamer last year and it hurt him. I think if he just goes back to relying on his 2 seamer he is a decent (4.25-4.5 era) pitcher with obviously the ability to eat innings and potentially a plus year if our defense improves.

I say we don't have a chance in hell on Cole. 

Why not Strasburg?  The White Sox were willing to offer 24/mil a year for Wheeler. Strasburg will command a 5 or 6 year deal and realistically a 31-33 mil AAV. How is that out of their realm since his fWAR alone more than makes up that difference in Salary from Wheeler and then some. He is honestly the perfect fit for the team and window of contention. 

Obviously bidding against the Nationals and Yankees will be difficult, but it's time to step up and become elite with one Marquee FA. 

On to Plan B...

We can roll this out around this time every friggin year.

With the buzz of last off-season, as much as I loathed Reinsdorf, I was getting ready to heap tons on praise on him for finally bringing the White Sox back to national prominence.

I believed they had plenty of money. Lord knows he doesn't spend any of it.

100-120 million dollar payrolls was not getting it done.

I thought a Renaissance was coming.

Man I truly got played.

It wasn"t happening to me again.

Walk the Walk.

Edited by GradMc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, bmags said:

Mentioned this a few times but I think Porcello tried to buy into the elevated 4seamer last year and it hurt him. I think if he just goes back to relying on his 2 seamer he is a decent (4.25-4.5 era) pitcher with obviously the ability to eat innings and potentially a plus year if our defense improves.

Guys with 4.5 ERA's are going to win quite a few games with our improved defense and greatly improved lineup.  Grandel is going to help as well.  Our pitchers don't all need to win 1-0 & 2-1.

37 minutes ago, GradMc said:

On to Plan B...

We can roll this out around this time every friggin year.

With the buzz of last off-season, as much as I loathed Reinsdorf, I was getting ready to heap tons on praise on him for finally bringing the White Sox back to national prominence.

I believed they had plenty of money. Lord knows he doesn't spend any of it.

100-120 million dollar payrolls was not getting it done.

I thought a Renaissance was coming.

Man I truly got played.

It wasn"t happening to me again.

Walk the Walk.

December 5 is a little early to throw in the towel.  It ain't over til RH says it's over.

• Haha 1

24 hours later, I'm good with Ryu. Especially with Grandal here. Get a deal done with LA to get Pederson and Maeda here. Sign Castellanos. Hope 1 or 2 of Kopech/Lopez/Cease/Rodon make a leap like Moncada/Gio/TA/Eloy did last year. Dont know a much better way outside of Hahn having a big trade up his sleeve.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Pal said:

24 hours later, I'm good with Ryu. Especially with Grandal here. Get a deal done with LA to get Pederson and Maeda here. Sign Castellanos. Hope 1 or 2 of Kopech/Lopez/Cease/Rodon make a leap like Moncada/Gio/TA/Eloy did last year. Dont know a much better way outside of Hahn having a big trade up his sleeve.

This to me appears to be the best track going forward (barring any major RF or SP tracks)... Minus the Castellanos. He has no role here anymore (Thanks Abreu....)

5 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

All I know is I'm super-glad I'm not in Hahn & Co's shoes right now. Even as a fan I have no answers (and we fans have the benefit of making illogical conclusions). 

We need a SP1/SP2 type, but the options sucks. 

This isn't life or death and he won't get fired regardless so I'd gladly be in his shoes. Also I have plenty of answers and would be an excellent GM.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

This to me appears to be the best track going forward (barring any major RF or SP tracks)... Minus the Castellanos. He has no role here anymore (Thanks Abreu....)

Why can't he play RF against lefties and be a DH/occasional RF the rest of the time? Especially if the primary RF is a guy like Pederson.

1 minute ago, Pal said:

Why can't he play RF against lefties and be a DH/occasional RF the rest of the time? Especially if the primary RF is a guy like Pederson.

For one year?? Sure.. But Abreu's next 2 years will be full time DH.. Castellanos can not be a full time RF with Eloy in LF. Recipe for disaster

• Thanks 1

There’s way too many possibilities left to be upset this early. 

Grandal +

Ryu

Encarnacion

Joc

That would still be a great off season in my opinion. Fills DH + RF without making any crazy long term commitments to questionable free agents. Vaughn will be up next year and giving Castellanos/Ozuna 16+ mil to play RF for the next 4 years is honestly pretty scary. 
Pitching will clearly define this off season tho

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Grandal +

Ryu

Encarnacion

Joc

That would still be a great off season in my opinion. Fills DH + RF without making any crazy long term commitments to questionable free agents. Vaughn will be up next year and giving Castellanos/Ozuna 16+ mil to play RF for the next 4 years is honestly pretty scary. 

Yea and if I win the lottery this month it will be a good year.  Haven't won it yet but this is the year!

3 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Grandal +

Ryu

Encarnacion

Joc

This would be fine.