Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

13 hours ago, Soxnfins said:

I honestly don’t think we will end up with anything more in FA. It will most likely come via trade. We fall short on Castellanos, and lowball Keuchel.... the only one that we could completely execute on (and possibly screw ourselves by doing) is Bumgarner. 

There is 0% chance the Sox are done in FA this offseason.  They're not just going to pack up and go home after offering a good not great pitcher $25M AAV and he signed elsewhere.  C'mon, such a silly take.  

13 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I will guarantee we either sign one of Ryu, Bumgarner, or Keuchel or we trade for a starter and then sign Castellanos.  We will definitely sign at least one back end guy like Wood or Gonzalez too.

Have zero clue why others are laughing at this - it is entirely plausible.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

There is 0% chance the Sox are done in FA this offseason.  They're not just going to pack up and go home after offering a good not great pitcher $25M AAV and he signed elsewhere.  C'mon, such a silly take.  

I really should start tealing things. :lol:

2 hours ago, hi8is said:

Have zero clue why others are laughing at this - it is entirely plausible.

Don't try to figure that out. Laugh emoji's on plausible posts happen over and over from our vast array of disgruntled and troll members.

Edit: Someone give me a laugh emoji !

Edit 2: Thank You

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
Edit:
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Hoping the Sox are under the radar now seeking Alex Wood.

Yeah I'm with you. 

I have serious doubts that the Sox and Boras can come to an agreement on Keuchel or Ryu. 

That leaves Bumgarner and Wood as the next best options. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

Sign second baseman César Hernández to a 1-year, $5 million contract.Hernández would fit as a placeholder until prospect Nick Madrigal is ready to take over later in the 2020 season. Hernández, 29, slashed .279/.333/.408 with 31 doubles, 14 home runs, 71 runs batted in and 9 stolen bases in 11 attempts for the Philadelphia Phillies last year. He’s also had an OBP greater than 35 percent in three of the last four years. Hernández was a 2.5 WAR player last season and would be an undervalued short-term move for Chicago.

Bowden has Bumgarner at 4/$84 to the Twins (bigger outfield), Keuchel at 3/$42 and Ryu at 3/$55.5 million, fwiw.   And the proposed trade value on Starling Marte way higher, as well as Joc as part of a package including Lux from LAD to CLE for Lindor.  Castellanos at 4/$64 and Ozuna somehow at $92.5 million.

https://theathletic.com/1429263/2019/12/05/bowden-picking-a-winter-meetings-move-for-all-30-teams/?source=dailyemail

22 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

What would everyone say are the current odds of the Sox still getting one of Ryu, Bumgarner or Keuchel?

We know the Twins (who already bid 5/$100 for Wheeler), Reds, Dodgers, Angels, Yankees, Rangers, Nationals, Astros, Cardinals, etc., are all looking for pitching.

Unfortunately, it's the consensus of everyone but Steve Stone that Bumgarner will be a bad contract.  Have seen a few arguing for Keuchel as well, but I can't see them paying him $18-20 million for 3-4 years.

Ryu seems like the biggest upside play, certainly with risk...but it will at least be in the $50-75 million range over 3-4 years instead of $120+.

That said, there's got to be 2-3 teams that are going to miss out on Cole/Strasburg all thinking the same exact thing.

I think the odds of getting Ryu and/or Keuchel are quite good.  We have both the money and the need.  Their appeal for me comes in the fact that 3 year deals are possible.

12 hours ago, poppysox said:

I think the odds of getting Ryu and/or Keuchel are quite good.  We have both the money and the need.  Their appeal for me comes in the fact that 3 year deals are possible.

I don't see how Dallas Keuchel helps the White Sox's chances of winning a World Series. All I see is a guy who will be overpaid and tie up precious dollars (which are limited due to our current owner).

19 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Sign second baseman César Hernández to a 1-year, $5 million contract.Hernández would fit as a placeholder until prospect Nick Madrigal is ready to take over later in the 2020 season. Hernández, 29, slashed .279/.333/.408 with 31 doubles, 14 home runs, 71 runs batted in and 9 stolen bases in 11 attempts for the Philadelphia Phillies last year. He’s also had an OBP greater than 35 percent in three of the last four years. Hernández was a 2.5 WAR player last season and would be an undervalued short-term move for Chicago.

Bowden has Bumgarner at 4/$84 to the Twins (bigger outfield), Keuchel at 3/$42 and Ryu at 3/$55.5 million, fwiw.   And the proposed trade value on Starling Marte way higher, as well as Joc as part of a package including Lux from LAD to CLE for Lindor.  Castellanos at 4/$64 and Ozuna somehow at $92.5 million.

https://theathletic.com/1429263/2019/12/05/bowden-picking-a-winter-meetings-move-for-all-30-teams/?source=dailyemail

Bowden’s trade packages have been so idiotic.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I don't see how Dallas Keuchel helps the White Sox's chances of winning a World Series. All I see is a guy who will be overpaid and tie up precious dollars (which are limited due to our current owner).

I think he can definitely help us become a bigger playoff threat given what he’d be replacing; but he’s also not a huge postseason factor IMO and it wouldn’t take much fall off for him to become an Ivan Nova type pitcher.  At least Ryu is a high impact pitcher when he does pitch.  To be honest, I’d rather have either guy than MadBum assuming he’s getting $100M.  At least Keuchel is suited for the park pretty well and should command a far more reasonable price.  None of these guys are perfect options which suck.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

22 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Hoping the Sox are under the radar now seeking Alex Wood.

Wood, Wacha, Miley, Roark, McHugh...anyone short term

19 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Madrigal will be ready OD if extended...pass

56 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Keuchel helps by putting a competent #4-5 on the mound until Kopech, Rodon and Dunning are back at full strength.  Gio, Kopech, Cease, Lopez & Dunning all have the ability to be very good pitchers.  Need someone like Keuchel and Ryu to weather the storm until everyone is back at full strength.

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

If you are talking about winning a World Series, outside of Cole or Stras, I don't think any of the remaining FA starters get you there. Wheeler was the only one who could have the type of ascension and growth to turn into one of those guys, Keuchel gets you a veteran who can help get you to the playoffs and provide leadership and innings. And he's shown he can do it in a pennant race and won't have a contract that will kill you in case an opportunity to sign a TOR starter comes up in the next couple of years.

Other than that the hope now is for Gio, Cease, and Kopech to grow into the dominant starters you need instead of getting them through FA. 

28 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Wood, Wacha, Miley, Roark, McHugh...anyone short term

Madrigal will be ready OD if extended...pass

I would love a Madrigal extension to get him on the big club day one. It would be exciting to get all the youth playing together and pushing each other starting opening day.

25 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Keuchel helps by putting a competent #4-5 on the mound until Kopech, Rodon and Dunning are back at full strength.  Gio, Kopech, Cease, Lopez & Dunning all have the ability to be very good pitchers.  Need someone like Keuchel and Ryu to weather the storm until everyone is back at full strength.

I don't think we should ever expect anything from Rodon. He will be coming up on free agency by the time he is nearing 100%.

Personally I don't look at this as something to hold us over. I look at it that the Sox need to augment their really nice young pitching with a  stud to go near the top of the rotation. Obviously that's not looking good via this year's free agency, because they probably won't pay for Cole or Strasburg (boo!), they lost out on Wheeler, and the rest of the guys seem to have more questions than answers.

So do you punt on this year, so to speak, or go to 'Plan B' (hey the thread title!) and try to find a #1 or #2 some other way? I think punting on this year would be stupid. The window is opening and the clock is ticking, whether the Sox do something big this winter or not. Moncada and Gio are down to 4 years of control. We need to move on this thing.

If the Sox can find a #1 or #2 for the longterm SP (4+ years), I'd dangle Andrew Vaughn for him. I know everyone around here views him as untouchable. I just don't agree with that. It doesn't mean I don't think he has star potential or potential awesomeness.

I just view a #1 or #2 SP in the Sox rotation as more important than anything he would likely ever bring...given the Sox payroll constraints, their roster and prospect makeup at this time and needs moving forward to becoming a World Series contender. Andrew Vaughn would be enticing to a lot of teams. You could call up the Mets and inquire about Thor or DeGrom? Obviously you dont move Vaughn unless an extension is worked out in Thor's case. But there's a lot of ways to skin a cat.

So we probably can't go the route of not giving up assets for a TOR starter...that sucks, but that's where we're at now.

Since we are on the lower impact guys I’m jealous of Texas’ moves so far. Lyles and Gibson were guys I can see improving.

Wacha is a guy I could still get behind. He had a horrendous May, then got better from there on. He doesn’t have sexy peripherals but his velo also improved.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sarava said:

I just view a #1 or #2 SP in the Sox rotation as more important than anything he would likely ever bring...given the Sox payroll constraints, their roster and prospect makeup at this time and needs moving forward to becoming a World Series contender. Andrew Vaughn would be enticing to a lot of teams. You could call up the Mets and inquire about Thor or DeGrom? Obviously you dont move Vaughn unless an extension is worked out in Thor's case. But there's a lot of ways to skin a cat.

So we probably can't go the route of not giving up assets for a TOR starter...that sucks, but that's where we're at now.

Vaughn is going to get you nothing anywhere close to Syndergaard or DeGrom. 

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

Busiest days of the month for me at work are Monday and Tuesday. Gotta get out ahead and maybe work a full day tomorrow lol

I got to work from home the two years before I moved to Nashville and let’s just say that during the Winter Meetings those were unproductive days.  This year is really going to suck with real action likely to take place and a ton of work to do before actual time off.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I got to work from home the two years before I moved to Nashville and let’s just say that during the Winter Meetings those were unproductive days.  This year is really going to suck with real action likely to take place and a ton of work to do before actual time off.

Yeah its usually not a big deal for me but we have due dates on the 10th and 20th of every month at my current job. If I don't get anything done this weekend, its going to be a long couple days for me.