Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

51 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Vaughn is going to get you nothing anywhere close to Syndergaard or DeGrom. 

Not that it matters, since they have Alonso at 1B, but a top-25 prospect in Vaughn is actually a pretty good headliner for 2 years of a ~4 WAR pitcher in Syndergaard, IMO.

25 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Have seen some projections now of $220-235 with Cole closer to $285 million.

Are those projections for 6 years? $36 to $38 Million AAV sounds about right, given today's environment.

Edited by Lillian

17 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Vaughn is going to get you nothing anywhere close to Syndergaard or DeGrom. 

Eh, I think it's in the ballpark for a headliner. A few years back Sale got 2 stud prospects. But he's better than Thor, had one more year of control and a great contract. 

But either way, Thor or whoever, that's my point ...we need a pitcher in the #1 or #2 slot. I don't care where he comes from. If you dangle out a huge prospect, teams will listen.

Plan B should be the following:

• Ryu - 3/$75M
  • Ozuna - 4/$72M
  • Wood - 1/$8M
  • Treinen - 1/$7M
  • Gennett - 1/$6M

Come June you’re looking at this shit:

1. Robert, CF
  2. Moncada, 3B#
  3. Abreu, 1B
  4. Ozuna, RF
  5. Grandal, C#
  6. Jimenez, LF
  7. Anderson, SS
  8. Collins, DH*
  9. Madrigal
  • IF: Gennett*
  • OF: Engel
  • UT: Garcia#
  • BC: McCann
  1. Giolito
  2. Ryu*
  3. Cease
  4. Kopech
  5. Wood*/Lopez
  • CL: Treinen
  • SU: Colome
  • SU: Bummer*
  • MR: Herrera
  • MR: Fry*
  • MR: Cordero
  • MR: Marshall
  • LR: Lopez/Wood*
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

• Ryu - 3/$75M
  • Ozuna - 4/$72M
  • Wood - 1/$8M
  • Treinen - 1/$7M
  •  Gennett - 1/$6M

1. Robert, CF
  2. Moncada, 3B#
  3. Abreu, 1B
  4. Ozuna, RF
  5. Grandal, C#
  6. Jimenez, LF
  7. Anderson, SS
  8. Collins, DH*
  9. Madrigal
  1. Giolito
  2. Ryu*
  3. Cease
  4. Kopech
  5. Wood*/Lopez

Swap Castellanos in for Ozuna and I'm with you.

3 hours ago, Sarava said:

Eh, I think it's in the ballpark for a headliner. A few years back Sale got 2 stud prospects. But he's better than Thor, had one more year of control and a great contract. 

But either way, Thor or whoever, that's my point ...we need a pitcher in the #1 or #2 slot. I don't care where he comes from. If you dangle out a huge prospect, teams will listen.

They have Pete Alonso who just won NL ROY. The Mets have no use for Vaughn. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

They have Pete Alonso who just won AL ROY. The Mets have no use for Vaughn. 

Come on. The point just flew right over your head. I'm throwing out a random example of how Vaughn might fetch a TOR starter. I don't care who he is, or what team it might be with. It could be an established TOR starter. It could be a young starter on the verge of it. A guy like Vaughn will get teams to listen.

2 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Come on. The point just flew right over your head. I'm throwing out a random example of how Vaughn might fetch a TOR starter. I don't care who he is, or what team it might be with. It could be an established TOR starter. It could be a young starter on the verge of it. A guy like Vaughn will get teams to listen.

I don't disagree with you, but you're not getting Syndergaard for him. 

Counterpoint: Who's even available? 

There really aren't any TOR options available via trade. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't disagree with you, but you're not getting Syndergaard for him. 

If there was a need, I think you could. DeGrom would be the less likely one.

But really, it's just about getting a TOR starter. I don't care how the Sox get one. They need one to make this rebuild work. It doesn't have to be through free agency. The one thing I don't want them doing is wildly throwing 100 mil at some pitcher they have no faith in, only because they're too cheap for Cole/Strasburg and they lost out on Wheeler. That will kill the rebuild faster than anything IMO.

Just now, Sarava said:

If there was a need, I think you could. DeGrom would be the less likely one.

But really, it's just about getting a TOR starter. I don't care how the Sox get one. They need one to make this rebuild work. It doesn't have to be through free agency. The one thing I don't want them doing is wildly throwing 100 mil at some pitcher they have no faith in, only because they're too cheap for Cole/Strasburg and they lost out on Wheeler. That will kill the rebuild faster than anything IMO.

Van Wagenen has said that Syndergaard isn't available anymore.....besides, my point stands on the Mets specifically. Vaughn has no value to that particular team. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

an Wagenen has said that Syndergaard isn't available anymore.....besides, my point stands on the Mets specifically. Vaughn has no value to that particular team. 

Yeah we're not on the same page in this discussion. I'm trying to point out how Vaughn will have a lot of value around the league. Forget about the Mets. There's a lot of teams in rebuilds, or considering entering one since they're so popular these days. Heck, some teams might want to retool on the fly. 

3 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Yeah we're not on the same page in this discussion. I'm trying to point out how Vaughn will have a lot of value around the league. Forget about the Mets. There's a lot of teams in rebuilds, or considering entering one since they're so popular these days. Heck, some teams might want to retool on the fly. 

No we're on the same page, but Vaughn is useless to teams that have a long term answer at 1B. 

It's part of why I was against drafting him. No matter how good he is, his value is diminished just because he is a 1B. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

• Ryu - 3/$75M
  • Ozuna - 4/$72M
  • Wood - 1/$8M
  • Treinen - 1/$7M
  • Gennett - 1/$6M

1. Robert, CF
  2. Moncada, 3B#
  3. Abreu, 1B
  4. Ozuna, RF
  5. Grandal, C#
  6. Jimenez, LF
  7. Anderson, SS
  8. Collins, DH*
  9. Madrigal
  1. Giolito
  2. Ryu*
  3. Cease
  4. Kopech
  5. Wood*/Lopez

That looks pretty realistic and appealing to me, although I question why they would need Gennett.

35 minutes ago, Lillian said:

That looks pretty realistic and appealing to me, although I question why they would need Gennett.

Someone to play 2B until Madrigal arrives.  Backup option thereafter.  Maybe an option to play corner OF if someone needs a day off.  I personally prefer Derek Dietrich for that role on a cheap 1 year deal, but Gennett would be fine too.  It would be nice to have a decent option to fill in for a couple weeks when injuries happen - Yoan specifically has exhibited that he is probably a guy that is going to spend a stint or two on IL each season.  

33 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I still hope Sox find someone better than Leury on the bench.. mostly because I'm tired of watching the idiotic crap he does out there. Gotta be one of the lowest baseball I.Q. players I've seen since De Aza.

If the Sox were going to jettison Leury, he would have been nontendered.  He is going to be on the roster.