Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

3 minutes ago, asindc said:

My apology, I quoted you just for context.  The question was meant for chitownsportsfan. 

JR sets up his orgs with "two frontmen" that way the fans can take turns blaming the other guy.   KW should have been shitcanned long ago.  That he's still a mouthpiece and a visible face of the Org is 100% the stagnation of JR as an owner in the last 30 years.  He is old, doesn't want to fire his buddies, and is content to make the guaranteed profit from his cartels.

The Bulls, to a large extent, operate the same way.

If the reports are true that the Sox and Cubs are in competition to sign Keuchel and Castellanos, do the White Sox lose on both guys unless they substantially beat the Cubs Offers ?   If so, that  seems like a terrible no-win situation  for Rick,Kenny and Jerry. ...either over pay substantially or lose out on the players.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, tray said:

If the reports are true that the Sox and Cubs are in competition to sign Keuchel and Castellanos, do the White Sox lose on both guys unless they substantially beat the Cubs Offers ?   If so, that  seems like a terrible no-win situation  for Rick,Kenny and Jerry. ...either over pay substantially or lose out on the players.

Thought the Cubs had no money to sign any free agents? They are right against the cap.

31 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

JR sets up his orgs with "two frontmen" that way the fans can take turns blaming the other guy.   KW should have been shitcanned long ago.  That he's still a mouthpiece and a visible face of the Org is 100% the stagnation of JR as an owner in the last 30 years.  He is old, doesn't want to fire his buddies, and is content to make the guaranteed profit from his cartels.

The Bulls, to a large extent, operate the same way.

Who is Medellin, Cali and Sinaloa?  KW as Pablo Escobar and Hahn as El Chapo?

3 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

For sure.  Where’s that coming from?

They've been crying poor since last offseason. Rumors on twitter is that they are telling FA they need to clear payroll before adding anyone. Kind of crazy just how far they are going to say they can't afford anything. Supposedly they went over 100% on the projected budget for Wrigley renovations? Almost seems ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, Orlando said:

That's been my impression as well. I think they went all-in on Grandal and Wheeler with the intention to make some minor deals or signings to fill out the backend of the rotation plus RF. Unfortunately, Wheeler went to the Phillies and they don't know how to proceed now.

Honestly, if they're not going to try for Rendon and Cole they might as well sign a cheaper backend starter (Keuchel I guess at this point since Bumgarner wants $100 mil and the Sox aren't linked to Ryu) and maybe Calhoun or something and see what happens in the rest of the year with Kopech, Cease, Rodon and any minor league starters of interest. 2020 won't be a competitive year without Cole/Rendon.

I think trading any of their top prospects at this point of the rebuild would be a HUGE mistake.

17 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

For sure.  Where’s that coming from?

Not that hes the greatest source. Also

Cubs' 2020 luxury tax payroll to be $219.8 million — quite a bit over the $208 million luxury tax. And that's not even taking into account any offseason moves via trade or free agency.

• Thanks 1

Just now, almagest said:

That's been my impression as well. I think they went all-in on Grandal and Wheeler with the intention to make some minor deals or signings to fill out the backend of the rotation plus RF. Unfortunately, Wheeler went to the Phillies and they don't know how to proceed now.

Honestly, if they're not going to try for Rendon and Cole they might as well sign a cheaper backend starter (Keuchel I guess at this point since Bumgarner wants $100 mil and the Sox aren't linked to Ryu) and maybe Calhoun or something and see what happens in the rest of the year with Kopech, Cease, Rodon and any minor league starters of interest. 2020 won't be a competitive year without Cole/Rendon.

I think trading any of their top prospects at this point of the rebuild would be a HUGE mistake.

They’re all in to compete for 2020

3 minutes ago, almagest said:

You're making a lot of assumptions here.

Just now, almagest said:

I feel like Castellanos is their "guy" right now. It certainly feels like the Sox had specific players targeted and are 1/2 right now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I feel like Castellanos is their "guy" right now. It certainly feels like the Sox had specific players targeted and are 1/2 right now.

It could be, but Castellanos is a Boras client. I assume his timeline will drag out a bit since he's not Cole or Strasburg.