Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

29 minutes ago, almagest said:

About what? We haven't heard anything else credible besides random Twitter morons and Marcell Ozuna.

1. The plan was to add just those two guys.

2. There was zero contingency plan should they miss on one.

3. That they aren't involved with any of the people you named. 

Edited by mqr
  • Haha 2

Just now, mqr said:

1. The plan was to add just those too guys.

2. There was zero contingency plan should they miss on one.

3. That they aren't involved with any of the people you named. 

1. That'd be $200 million in salary added during one offseason. That seems pretty high for a team with a previous high contract in the $60 million range.

2. Obviously this one's hard to say since we won't ever hear anything about it, but what about past White Sox behavior indicates they have a plan now, especially if it's adding a player at the level of Wheeler (but not adding Cole or Rendon)? I'm not trying to be negative, it just doesn't happen with them. I'd hope they learned their lesson from Machado last year but who knows?

3. They might be and I sure hope they are. We haven't heard them connected with either Cole or Rendon this year, though, and in fact we've heard they're NOT in on Cole.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don’t think the Sox are targeting any Boras guys. 

1 minute ago, almagest said:

It could be, but Castellanos is a Boras client. I assume his timeline will drag out a bit since he's not Cole or Strasburg.

Going by past history, it's extremely unlikely, but maybe they will surprise us and figure out a way to get something done. It would be extremely moronic of them to not check in with his clients. It just seems like the classic guy the Sox covet because they've seen so much of him over the years. I think there is some potential, though like you said - very slim chance.

29 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

They've been crying poor since last offseason. Rumors on twitter is that they are telling FA they need to clear payroll before adding anyone. Kind of crazy just how far they are going to say they can't afford anything. Supposedly they went over 100% on the projected budget for Wrigley renovations? Almost seems ridiculous.

Wasn't TD Ameritrade a family owned business that was just sold to Charles Schwab in a $26 billion all stock deal. Is it legal or not to use some of the profits for the baseball team?

3 minutes ago, Saufley said:

Wasn't TD Ameritrade a family owned business that was just sold to Charles Schwab in a $26 billion all stock deal. Is it legal or not to use some of the profits for the baseball team?

If they were personal assets of the owner, sure.

How is it any different from Ilitch or Monaghan owning the Tigers, just the billions versus hundreds of millions...?

Obviously they can’t issue bonds or B shares and plug Little Caesar’s or TD Ameritrade derived assets into baseball ops.

The closest you get in sports is the Hicks and Glazers servicing personal debt with revenues from their sports franchises...or the McCourt divorce fight over future broadcasting and parking rights dollars.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, Saufley said:

I'm not following this... is this connected to the Ricketts? I honestly have no clue on their business dealings. I think the major issue is that they are currently over the projected luxury tax and want to figure out a way to get under it.

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I'm not following this... is this connected to the Ricketts? I honestly have no clue on their business dealings. I think the major issue is that they are currently over the projected luxury tax and want to figure out a way to get under it.

TD Ameritrade is how they made their money. It's irrelevant though.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Ricketts owned TDA

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Saufley said:

I think they sold off a lot of shares to buy the Cubs, like 400+ million worth.

Also, they dont own 100% of the company. They have like 9% left, so the old man will net about 2-2.5 billion. They retain that stock with the sale, and would have to sell their remaining 9% to get that full amount.

Either way, it was a good day for the ricketts as Schwab is trading higher and they earned about 20% by doing nothing.

I know this would never happen because real life does not work this way but just for fun. What would you say we do this: 

Sign Rendon 6-240 ( 40 Per Season) 

3 Team Trade ( Dodgers, White Sox, Ray)

White Sox in the process are adding about 57 million from this. 

Dodgers Receive: 

Yoan Moncada

Rays Receive: 

Dustin May 

Nick Madrigal

White Sox Receive: 

Gavin Lux

Blake Snell

Joc Pederson

I think all three teams would benefit. The rays actually could make out the best in the deal. 

White Sox:

LF-Jimenez

CF: Robert

RF: Pederson

C Grandal

1B Abreu

2B Lux

SS Anderson

3B Rendon

Rotation:

Giolito

Snell

Cease

Lopez

FA/Kopech/Rodon

Again, Don't hate me, just being creative. 

21 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I think trading Madrigal would be a colossal mistake. I don’t really want to trade Vaughn either, but I’d already rather deal him than Madrigal. Nick is going to be special.

I think this is 100% correct.  Madrigal, Robert, Vaughn, Gio and Kopech are untouchable IMO.