Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Supply and demand.  Wheeler’s price didn’t impact MadBum’s price?  Almost every MLB reporter would disagree and I’m sure you can find numerous tweets about it.

If this was San Francisco and the three most expensive houses in Mountain View were off the market at record-setting prices...you wouldn't expect houses #4/5/6 to also increase in value, comparatively?

As long as there are bidders who see value in buying those assets (which obviously don't appreciate like houses, they're more like automobiles)...why wouldn't they also be pulled up by 15-25% as well?

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If anyone impacted Bumgarners price it was Wheeler, not Strasburg or Cole. 

Wheeler is in the same price range as Bumgarner.

I think they are all related, but Wheeler moreso, and I already mentioned Wheeler’s contract impacting MadBum’s price in my initial post.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The universally expected rate for wheeler was 4/80. What does any of that matter? I thought all of them would get more than the "expected rate." It doesn't mean Strasburg effects the market of a guy tiers below him.

You're not taking into consideration that it's pretty obvious most of the deep-pocked owners decided that opening up the treasure chests right now is their best protection against union charges of salary suppression in the next set of negotiations.  They're awash in money (always were/always have been), it's just that they were allocating it a lot more carefully the last 2 years than at any time in recent history.

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why would a house in the million dollar range impact the price of a house in the 1/2 million dollar range? 

The price of Stras and Cole have no impact on the price of mid-tier players, imo. Those two are independent of each other. Cole is being paid a premium because of how rare he is. 

Apparently you aren’t a home owner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I guess the no urgency thing is the thing that annoys me. So it Kuechel; ozuna , Ryu, Castellanos all fall off the board that no urgency quote will bite Hahn in the butt

I think you’re reading into it too much. He’s just saying that they aren’t going to make a move just for the sake of making a move at the winter meetings. If the move makes sense, they will make it, just like they would have if it were last week or next week. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, you're probably correct on second thought. 

I think you are right that similar tier players impact each other’s contracts the most but I could see teams also scaling salaries for lower tier starters based on what the big boys receive.  I could see teams seeing what Cole and Strasburg receive and thinking, hey, Ryu and Keuchel aren’t aces but after seeing the top dogs get $250 to $300 million, I’ll pay these two guys a bit more since we need a starter badly and don’t want to miss out on the next best options.

I now think Wheeler messed up by not waiting for both Strasburg and Cole to sign.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he would’ve received $10 to $20 more million.

4 hours ago, tray said:

If the reports are true that the Sox and Cubs are in competition to sign Keuchel and Castellanos, do the White Sox lose on both guys unless they substantially beat the Cubs Offers ?   If so, that  seems like a terrible no-win situation  for Rick,Kenny and Jerry. ...either over pay substantially or lose out on the players.

Lol dude...the Cubs have no money and are not a threat no matter how much you refuse to accept that.

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

For premium talent at least. He isn't ruling out a trade for Betts, just not with top tier guys. I don't know how much they value ReyLo if they want 2 SP's. 

Right now, the rotation consists of Giolito, Cease, and Lopez. We need two starting pitchers even if they are extremely high on Lopez. 

• Thanks 1