Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

Not sure what  BoSox would ask WSox for in exchange for Price and Benintendi but I would think the WSox  and Chaim could get that done,

Perhaps Stiever and Vaughn, McCann and Dane Dunning, Steele Walker and ReyLo, or some similar combination.  I would not like giving up anybody in that transaction, but the BoSox will want some value back even though we would be taking a huge, burdensome contract off their hands.

Do that and add Keuchel or another legit starter and it would be quite an off-season.

21 minutes ago, fathom said:

Passan reporting on Baseball Tonight that there’s some traction on a Price trade. No potential team mentioned.

Boston would have to eat quite a bit of cash for this to make sense, because no way in hell would a club take on Price for 3/96 million, even with Benintendi.

prospect cost would be essentially nothing, even if the Red Sox kicked in $20 million and Benintendi from a value standpoint. Price wouldn’t get anywhere near 3/76 in free agency right now still. 

3 minutes ago, tray said:

Not sure what  BoSox would ask WSox for in exchange for Price and Benintendi but I would think the WSox  and Chaim could get that done,

Perhaps Stiever and Vaughn, McCann and Dane Dunning, Steele Walker and ReyLo, or some similar combination.  I would not like giving up anybody in that transaction, but the BoSox will want some value back even though we would be taking a huge, burdensome contract off their hands.

Do that and add Keuchel or another legit starter and it would be quite an off-season.

Why the fuck would the WhiteSox need to add Vaughn, McCann, ReyLo or anything of magnitude to take a salary dump from Boston.   The redsox have issues with their salary.  

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Boston would have to eat quite a bit of cash for this to make sense, because no way in hell would a club take on Price for 3/96 million, even with Benintendi.

prospect cost would be essentially nothing, even if the Red Sox kicked in $20 million and Benintendi from a value standpoint. Price wouldn’t get anywhere near 3/76 in free agency right now still. 

You just cleared the decks for them to keep Betts.

No way you're going to be giving up anything bigger than Collins or Stiever, at most.

We would be doing THEM a huge favor in being able to compete against the Yankees again...rather than "retooling" the next 2-3 years before making another extended run.

Without Betts, it becomes unrealistic, as Bogaerts and Devers are your core building blocks on the position side and lots of question marks in the starting rotation.

16 minutes ago, tray said:

Stiever and Vaughn? Hell no.

• Thanks 1

Some RF options that make Benintendi a potentially attractive trade target:

Joc Pederson - I doubt he wants to play here.  He might be one of the better options if he would and a deal could be made.

Castellanos -  Boras might demand something like  5/100 ... Castellanos   can't Defend or throw as well as Bennintendi.

Marcell Ozuna had right shoulder surgery and could not throw very well before or after that.  He is listed as 225 pounds but looks like he has grown from there, The Sox would have to provide Draft compensation to the Cardinals  if they sign him. He already turned down a QO for $17.5 Million for one year.

Tsutsugoh - Probably better as a 1B/DH .

-----

Price would be a costly contract but he could still pitch so it isn't like that money  would be thrown away.

I just looked at Price’s numbers from last year and he was actually much better than I thought. 10.73 k/9 and 3.6 fip. He’s not worthless 

15 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Benintendi lacks the power or the arm for RF. Price is worthless. 

Sale I'd do if they eat a third of the 150m but apparently bridges are completely burned. 

• Like 1

If you can get Benintendi and Price by just taking on salary and giving up minimal prospects, if any, it’s a no brainer.

Price is owed $32 million in each of the next 3 years for a total of $96 million.  The Sox were supposedly going to pay Wheeler over $100 million, albeit for 2 more years.  However, with this move you get a young lefty bat who is still arbitration eligible and making nothing.

Wheeler and Ozuna would have cost a lot more and Price and Benintendi is the more desirable duo, IMO.

What two better players can the Sox realistically acquire that cost around $100 million?

Edited by Moan4Yoan

The money will be spent..... on someone else's salary dump.

That's a yikes from me.

For what its worth, a "verified" twitter user whose bio list some Boston baseball stuff tweeted a bunch of eyeballs about an hour ago. All the comments were the typical entitled Red Sox fans "We're getting Cole?!?!?" that you'd expect.

4 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

The money will be spent..... on someone else's salary dump.

That's a yikes from me.

For what its worth, a "verified" twitter user whose bio list some Boston baseball stuff tweeted a bunch of eyeballs about an hour ago. All the comments were the typical entitled Red Sox fans "We're getting Cole?!?!?" that you'd expect.

That's Jared Carrabis. He's big at Barstool. His tweet was posted in one of the other threads too. He replied to one of the other barstool guys and said "don't go to bed". But that was over 2 hours ago now and he hasn't tweeted since.

• Thanks 1

Just now, bmags said:

You put way too much emphasis on headlines written by like 23 year old editors

All I’m saying is when the Sox want a narrative out there, they use the usual writers to push it. 

I hope I’m wrong.  But seeing these guys beat the same drum gives me that impression. 

14 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Pack it up boys, they won’t be adding. “Too many holes to contend” , “look internally for pitching”, “push might be a year away”

I mean it's probably true that they won't contend this year, but the FA market outside of Joc, Betts, and Springer is pretty barren 2020. They aren't going to give Mookie 300 million and I'd bet Springer resigns with the Astros.

Joc Pederson and 49 year old Michael Brantley really who you want to gamble on over this FA class?  Meh

Edited by BackDoorBreach

8 minutes ago, Orlando said:

All I’m saying is when the Sox want a narrative out there, they use the usual writers to push it. 

I hope I’m wrong.  But seeing these guys beat the same drum gives me that impression. 

I don't think that characterizes what Fegan in particular wrote, and I also think he wrote it with a skepticism of what this FO can accomplish.

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

Pack it up boys, they won’t be adding. “Too many holes to contend” , “look internally for pitching”, “push might be a year away”

I read that Fegan article as they had no plan B for Wheeler and are no longer optimistic that they can complete their offseason goals.  Haven’t read the Duber one yet, but I’ll admit this messaging is a little frustrating coming out the first night of the Winter Meetings.  Hopefully it’s nothing but spin to protect against a worst case outcome.

I have been very optimistic but you can’t read those articles and not say that it seems like they have no idea on how they are going  to pivot after Wheeler. They always temper expectations through the media. The narrative has been “the Sox are trying to spend! They are a team to watch. They want to compete!” And here come the White Sox with their pushback. 

Edited by Orlando

I will also say I think the free agent SP market is at a standstill as Boras & Bumgarner’s agent push for unrealistic deals in the wake of the Wheeler & Strasburg signings.  That should self correct at some point, but until then there probably isn’t much Hahn can do on that front.  Panicking over the Wheeler miss and handing $100M+ to Bumgarner would be a bad reactive measure.