Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

I think Bumgarner is going to be a productive pitcher. I think mapping HR stats isn't how things work (you don't play all games in one stadium and he may very well pitch to San Frans stadium, and he's smart as hell)

That said...this is not the level of pitcher I wanted. We will still need to grind to find a TOR starter or get lucky. 

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think Bumgarner is going to be a productive pitcher. I think mapping HR stats isn't how things work (you don't play all games in one stadium and he may very well pitch to San Frans stadium, and he's smart as hell)

That said...this is not the level of pitcher I wanted. We will still need to grind to find a TOR starter or get lucky. 

If you sign Bumgarner and Manfred decides to unjuice the ball, then you'll get lucky. 

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yep. The productiveness of Kopech and Cease are going to play a HUGE part in our success over the next few years. That obviously would have still been true if we signed Wheeler, but we really need one of those two guys to be a #1 or #2 type pitcher.

I really am at a loss about who they pivot to now.  They signed Grandal showing that they were serious this offseason.  They obviously really targeted and thought they were going to get Wheeler with the reported offer.  I do not think this is the time yet to trade away significant assets to get starting pitching, but they really need starting pitching. 

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’m not totally against Bumgarner, but he clearly lacks the TOR upside of Wheeler and his $100M rumored price is scary.  But honestly, not sure what else we can do.  Ryu is interesting, but if people thought Wheeler was an injury risk I don’t know what they see in this guy.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not totally against Bumgarner, but he clearly lacks the TOR upside of Wheeler and his $100M rumored price is scary.  But honestly, not sure what else we can do.  Ryu is interesting, but if people thought Wheeler was an injury risk I don’t know what they see in this guy.

Bum is one guy who I think is not going to get his asking price. I still think he's more 85-88 range, so marginal but still I don't think he is a big escalating bidding war guy. I do wonder if he goes back to san fran if he doesn't get what he wants.

28 minutes ago, bmags said:

Bum is one guy who I think is not going to get his asking price. I still think he's more 85-88 range, so marginal but still I don't think he is a big escalating bidding war guy. I do wonder if he goes back to san fran if he doesn't get what he wants.

His best case scenario is the Sox and Twins vying for his services.  Divisional opponents going after the same FA always helps to pump up the price tag a bit.