Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

11 minutes ago, The Beast said:

How bad would Bumgarner and Keuchel be?

It would be a deeper pitching staff which would add quite a bit of value to the Sox (especially next year), but it would be bloated and hard to improve upon.

Just now, BamaDoc said:

Offer 6/180 for Strasburg.  7/225 for Cole.  Make it have a time limit if you want.  If nothing else you tried and cause others to up offers and hurt their flexibility

based on this current market that’s probably 10-20% lower than numbers Boras is already getting for those guys. Stras met with Yankees yesterday.

6 minutes ago,  BamaDoc said: 

Offer 6/180 for Strasburg.  7/225 for Cole.  Make it have a time limit if you want.  If nothing else you tried and cause others to up offers and hurt their flexibility.  

Those offers are way too light based on what Wheeler just landed.

Oh, I am in no way implying those would be winning bids but it might cause other teams to up offers knowing you are in the ballpark.  Make them spend more than they want.  Make it hurt.  Maybe just maybe it takes one of them out on someone like a RF next year.  I'll put something in my "Realistic Offseason Thread" later.  This really shouldn't be that unexpected.  What is a positive is we showed we would spend 25 million on a pitcher.  The Nationals won a world series by reallocating Harpers money into multiple players.  

5 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

What would they have to give up to get someone like Musgrove from the Pirates?  Something that doesn't involve young pitching.

I don't know if you could get a starting pitcher without giving up a pitcher in return. So many of the Sox minor league hitters had mediocre seasons, not much value to work with right now. I fear Stiever may be used as trade bait, and I'm not all that sold on selling him. 

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I don't know if you could get a starting pitcher without giving up a pitcher in return. So many of the Sox minor league hitters had mediocre seasons, not much value to work with right now. I fear Stiever may be used as trade bait, and I'm not all that sold on selling him. 

He's the guy I absolutely don't want to sell.  He's got "top 100" written all over him soon.

Yes you're right  teams want pitching back and the Sox 2nd tier hitting prospects had poor years overall.  That leaves 3 veterans to trade:

McCann
Colome
Bummer

And then they'll need a completely new pen.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I really think we are fucked in terms of plan B’s unless we can pull off Ryu and right now there is absolutely nothing linking us to him.

I agree, but I don't even think Ryu is a great option given his age and terrible record of staying on the field. I don't see 32 yr. old + pitchers being much help to the contention "window" that is supposed to be starting 2021-22. When the time comes you'll actually rely on these guys they are going to be broken or starting to have regression hit their performance.

23 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Stopgaps for a year and 2021 here we come.

Don't see how they can contend next year now.

Last year, it was the Padres; this year the Phillies.  Next year it will be the Rangers or Giants.
It's not happening with this outfit until they show tangible results.

• Like 1