Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

1 hour ago, GradMc said:

On to Plan B...

We can roll this out around this time every friggin year.

With the buzz of last off-season, as much as I loathed Reinsdorf, I was getting ready to heap tons on praise on him for finally bringing the White Sox back to national prominence.

I believed they had plenty of money. Lord knows he doesn't spend any of it.

100-120 million dollar payrolls was not getting it done.

I thought a Renaissance was coming.

Man I truly got played.

It wasn"t happening to me again.

Walk the Walk.

They did walk.

18 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

For one year?? Sure.. But Abreu's next 2 years will be full time DH.. Castellanos can not be a full time RF with Eloy in LF. Recipe for disaster

Yep. This is the primary reason for no Castellanos. It would be a horrendous OF defense even with Robert in the middle.

13 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Yep. This is the primary reason for no Castellanos. It would be a horrendous OF defense even with Robert in the middle.

Castellanos wasn't that bad defensively at Wrigley, he actually benefited from the shortened field according to fangraphs.  All about mitigation... his defense is slightly below average once you put him in a shortened field, I believe it was -0.8 in LF (small sample).... -5.2 overall between DET/CHC... Not nearly as bad as his -12.9 2018.  His bat translates the best to the Cell.... Doubles hitter than turned into HR's with a shortened field.... which showed at Wrigley.

2 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

Castellanos wasn't that bad defensively at Wrigley, he actually benefited from the shortened field according to fangraphs.  All about mitigation... his defense is slightly below average once you put him in a shortened field, I believe it was -0.8 in LF (small sample).... -5.2 overall between DET/CHC... Not nearly as bad as his -12.9 2018.  His bat translates the best to the Cell.... Doubles hitter than turned into HR's with a shortened field.... which showed at Wrigley.

This is how I feel.  He doesn't need to be great out there just serviceable.  That bat LOOKS like it will play high at GRF and he's familiar with the pitchers/parks.

Edited by BackDoorBreach

3 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

This is how I feel.  He doesn't need to be great out there just serviceable.  That bat LOOKS like it will play high at GRF and he's familiar with the pitchers/parks.

That's what I'm saying.  Potentially a 280/330/650 guy at the Cell... 35HR/100 RBI guy.... Could approach 40, but I think that's a stretch.  Dude just looked like a bonafide alpha at Wrigley. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the White Sox young pitching staff is going to be in much better shape if we have a RF that we don't need to wish/hope improves to merely "serviceable".  Eloy is our LF, and he isn't going to be a good one.  We really need at worst a slightly above average defensive RF, or this team isn't going to be very good.  As Hawk always said, rule #1 in baseball is to catch the ball.  And the man is right.    

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

That's what I'm saying.  Potentially a 280/330/650 guy at the Cell... 35HR/100 RBI guy.... Could approach 40, but I think that's a stretch.  Dude just looked like a bonafide alpha at Wrigley. 

I don't think anyone in MLB is projected with a 650 SLG. That is an insane number. If you want to say 330/500, that seems reasonable, and decent for a guy who can't field.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think the White Sox young pitching staff is going to be in much better shape if we have a RF that we don't need to wish/hope improves to merely "serviceable".  Eloy is our LF, and he isn't going to be a good one.  We really need at worst a slightly above average defensive RF, or this team isn't going to be very good.  As Hawk always said, rule #1 in baseball is to catch the ball.  And the man is right.    

That's why I love DRS so much. It takes into account a players range. I mean let's just be plain. Most defensive stats hate this guy. Probably because he's a bad defensive player. Why why why do the White Sox need another bad defensive outfielder? Can we have one really good one for once? 

14 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

If Castellanos OPS's .980 next year I'll never post here again

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

All I know is I'm super-glad I'm not in Hahn & Co's shoes right now. Even as a fan I have no answers (and we fans have the benefit of making illogical conclusions). 

We need a SP1/SP2 type, but the options sucks. 

We only think the options suck. Somebody in this group is going to shine. Some  teams are going to get excess value from some players no one ever mentions. We just need to search under all the rocks . I wish some of the minor league gurus around here would make more suggestions of players not ranked who had really good seasons at AAA who aren't already in their late 20's who might be blocked but might not have the pedigree to be taken that seriously by the parent club, kinda like Mercedes is with us only an OF who can actually field and hit.

9 minutes ago, whitesoxbrad said:

I hope you are correct, but I think there is zero chance that he comes here.

12 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

For better or worse, I feel like the Sox are going to get Bumgarner.

I was reading on Rotoworld earlier today that he is expected to get a $100 mil contract. Really?

Seems like things moved faster and got richer than teams intended. Washington owner coming out tonight, Minnesota giving that deal to Pineda and Atlanta giving an aggressive deal to Hamels. Think these deals and rumored deals shell shocked some teams. 

Edited by Pal