Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

3 minutes ago, Cashman said:

Don't you think it would be more productive to decline the interviews until you made another move? In the last 24yrs, we have had Jerry laughing that the Sox were connected to Ozuna and now Hahn gibber jabbering.

Hahn didn't say anything different than what he told Bruce on Saturday. There is no way they aren't going to add a few more players this offseason. It just might not happen this week. Besides, you don't ever want to sound desperate to get something done. 

He has a talent for speaking for a while, making people think he gave them a lot of information, and in the end, didn't tell them much. One of the best at it I have ever heard. I know it's coming and I still fall for it  and think he gave out some great info, for a few minutes almost every time. 

Edited by Dick Allen

4 minutes ago, Cashman said:

Don't you think it would be more productive to decline the interviews until you made another move? In the last 24yrs, we have had Jerry laughing that the Sox were connected to Ozuna and now Hahn gibber jabbering.

The media has to do their job.

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Hahn didn't say anything different than what he told Bruce on Saturday. There is no way they aren't going to add a few more players this offseason. It just might not happen this week. Besides, you don't ever want to sound desperate to get something done. 

He has a talent for speaking for a while, making people think he gave them a lot of information, and in the end, didn't tell them much. One of the best at it I have ever heard. I know it's coming and I still fall for it  and think he gave out some great info, for a few minutes almost every time. 

It frustrates people so much to the point where they think it's a negative trait. It's not. 

I wonder if Didi could be a RF?  Middle infielders are the most versatile and he hits LH.. I wonder if that could be a wild option, his market appears to be slow/small? Obviously he is better defensively at SS than Anderson I just don't think they'd move him for Didi

Edited by cjgalloway

13 minutes ago, Cashman said:

That's not really how it works.

Media time is a part of the game. 

2 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

I wonder if Didi could be a RF?  Middle infielders are the most versatile and he hits LH.. I wonder if that could be a wild option, his market appears to be slow/small? Obviously he is better defensively at SS than Anderson I just don't think they'd move him for Didi

I'd rather have Didi at SS and try Anderson in RF.

Just now, Orlando said:

Someone on MLB network predicted Castellanos to the Sox for 6 years. I think that LONG but I don't buy the Giants being front runners. If he was complaining about Comerica taking some of his home runs away....

I'm not putting much, if any, stock in what a TV anchor thinks. 

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Someone on MLB network predicted Castellanos to the Sox for 6 years. I think that LONG but I don't buy the Giants being front runners. If he was complaining about Comerica taking some of his home runs away....

6 years would be bad for a DH that doesn't really put up studly DH numbers.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Castellanos made a noticeable change last year that appeared to allow him to tap into his raw tools more - that and the change from Comerica. Hes an interesting case as, similar to wheeler, his best years may be ahead of him which isnt typical for a FA.

I'm no scout, but it did feel like something was unlocked when he went to the Cubs

I did completely warm up to the Castellanos idea but after that Abreu extension there really isn't a fit... UNLESS, the Sox just decide to punt on the pitching market and try to create a juggernaut offense and try to outscore everyone... Otherwise it doesn't really make sense 

22 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

No shot. We don't think he is a catcher, hence why we signed a real catcher to a 4 year deal. 

I don't think the Grandal signing is any sort of indictment of Collins.  If anything, it has more to do with the Sox understanding that McCann isn't a long term answer.  If Collins isn't traded, the plan is probably for him to be the back up catcher to Grandal starting in 2021.

The league values good offense/questionable defense catchers much higher than good defense/questionable offense catchers.  Collins only has to be adequate behind the plate to be a really attractive trade chip and I think he's trending in that direction.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I don't think the Grandal signing is any sort of indictment of Collins.  If anything, it has more to do with the Sox understanding that McCann isn't a long term answer.  If Collins isn't traded, the plan is probably for him to be the back up catcher to Grandal starting in 2021.

The league values good offense/questionable defense catchers much higher than good defense/questionable offense catchers.  Collins only has to be adequate behind the plate to be a really attractive trade chip and I think he's trending in that direction.

Is Jeff Mathis a joke to you?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

Okay so if our plan is for Collins to be a backup to a real catcher for three years when McCann leaves, that probably means we don't think he is a worthy catcher right now. So why would Pitt want a guy who they can't DH, have no need for at 1st, and sucks as a catcher right now?

10 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

I did completely warm up to the Castellanos idea but after that Abreu extension there really isn't a fit... UNLESS, the Sox just decide to punt on the pitching market and try to create a juggernaut offense and try to outscore everyone... Otherwise it doesn't really make sense 

I know hes not a great defender but Castellanos is only 27. Do you expect him to be a DH before hes 30? 

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

Okay so if our plan is for Collins to be a backup to a real catcher for three years when McCann leaves, that probably means we don't think he is a worthy catcher right now. So why would Pitt want a guy who they can't DH, have no need for at 1st, and sucks as a catcher right now?

Maybe they view him as a catcher.  Every scouting department sees different things and things they can tweak. Or they simply don't and will have no interest in him.