Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

7 minutes ago, Hatchetman said:

Maeda would be great at the price. A valuable asset. Not sure what we'd have to give up.

His contract is super goofy though. Controlled thru 23 at $3.125M per year, but has a ton of very attainable performance bonuses tied to GS and IP.  

• Maeda will receive $150,000 each year for making the opening day active 25-man roster.
  • He will receive $1 million for each of 15 and 20 starts, and $1.5 million for each of 25, 30 and 32 starts.
  • Maeda each year will earn $250,000 for each of 90, 100, 110, 120, 130, 140, 150, 160, 170, 180 and 190 innings pitched, and $750,000 for 200 innings.
  • In addition, Maeda receives a $1 million bonus each time he is traded.

3 minutes ago, sullythered said:

It would be for him to DH whenever he isn't in the field, no?

So against righties, Joc is in the OF, Castellanos is at DH, Grandal is behind  the plate.

Against lefties, Joc is on the bench, McCann is behind the plate, Grandal to DH, Castellanos to the OF?

I guess, a lot of movement there? 

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I never said you were against the Price Acquisition either, you said you wouldn't do it without a good amount of money attached. Here's the posts. 

This was about including other valuable assets from the White Sox side; like Bummer and Stiever. I said if the Sox added Bummer and Stiever, there would need to be money coming back for Bentendi and Price, because Benetendi and Price together don't have a ton of surplus value. This meant I would take both for middling prospects with no money attached, but the Sox should require money if they have to add a Bummer/Stiever combination to make it happen.

I never thought the Red Sox should have to throw in 30 million in a trade in which they were not getting a viable return. 

Edit; Also, I figured it was just a misunderstanding. No biggie.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So against righties, Joc is in the OF, Castellanos is at DH, Grandal is behind  the plate.

Against lefties, Joc is on the bench, McCann is behind the plate, Grandal to DH, Castellanos to the OF?

I guess, a lot of movement there? 

Lots of moving parts for sure. Joc can absolutely not bat against lefties either way. Casellanos is atleast serviceable against righties.

10 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

Of course they are.  Now let's take what else is out there:  The Sox are working on a trade that can bring them multiple pieces and that they are going for controlled and coveted pitching.   It's the Dodgers or Red Sox.  The Sox have payroll flexibility and can take on a big contract as long as it is a good second piece.   There are some "wow" names being floated. If it comes together, we will be very happy.  

Edited by Mbs1969
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mbs1969 said:

Of course they are.  Now let's take what else is out there:  The Sox are working on a trade that can bring them multiple pieces and that they are going for controlled and coveted pitching.   It's the Dodgers or Red Sox.  The Sox have payroll flexibility and can take on a big contract as long as it is a good second piece.   There are some "wow" names being floated. If it comes together, we will be very happy.  

are you Steve Stone?

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

His contract is super goofy though. Controlled thru 23 at $3.125M per year, but has a ton of very attainable performance bonuses tied to GS and IP.  

• Maeda will receive $150,000 each year for making the opening day active 25-man roster.
  • He will receive $1 million for each of 15 and 20 starts, and $1.5 million for each of 25, 30 and 32 starts.
  • Maeda each year will earn $250,000 for each of 90, 100, 110, 120, 130, 140, 150, 160, 170, 180 and 190 innings pitched, and $750,000 for 200 innings.
  • In addition, Maeda receives a $1 million bonus each time he is traded.

Yeah, this is why the Dodgers dick him around I think. I imagine he's not thrilled about it. These incentives are nuts. 

If Maeda thru 200 innings and made 3 starts he'd be paid: 14.275 million. Still really affordable, but a lot more than the Dodgers pay him by dicking him around between the rotation and bullpen.

Maeda has about as good of a track record with injuries as Ryu when you consider the work load though.

4 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

What would we have to give up for Maeda/Joc?

Any thoughts?

Really tough to know.  Maeda is probably pretty disgruntled being jacked around in the bullpen with his contract.  But then again, he is an awfully nice insurance policy to have.  That contract is pretty nice and I imagine alot of teams would like to have him.  I think the Dodgers would be willing to move him, but they certainly don't have to, and it doing so doesn't exactly save them much money.  

11 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

If I’m wrong, I apologize but is this the “tomorrow is D Day “ guy?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Get back to the war room, ricky. 

Speaking of WAR room, where do they all go to plan? Just sitting on a couple of queen beds in a hotel room? There can’t be 30 meeting rooms in whatever hotel they’re in. 

Edit: yes I just instinctively capitalized war. I need a life. 

Edited by mqr
  • Haha 1