Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

As all of this bargain shopping and waiting goes on in hopes the market cools, I know we are setting up for Abreu/Vaughn to be DH 2021, but what about now?  McCann as DH meh.  Still could do your "big" spend on Castellanos and still trade for Joc.  You have big bats every day and outslug people.....for now.

As far as pitching goes, unless you pull one of the deals many have listed like Price on salary dump, etc., you go out and sign some guys to 1-2 year deals that have had prior success like Roark, Porcello, Teheran, Miley and hope 2 of your young guys are ready my the All Star break.  If not, you explore teams looking to dump at that point. I just don't think Grandal can be your only significant signing of the winter and call it a success.  I know they have tried to spend, but something else needs to be closed.

It'll never happen, but it would be awesome and hilarious if the White Sox traded for Kris Bryant to be their RF of the future. Most agree that he won't be at 3rd base long term, with his size.

Sox could offer a Madrigal, Vaughn, Stiever, and wild card like Hansen/Adolfo etc and might be able to even get it done. Sox would obviously have to be committed to signing him, but that would be great lol.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It'll never happen, but it would be awesome and hilarious if the White Sox traded for Kris Bryant to be their RF of the future. Most agree that he won't be at 3rd base long term, with his size.

Sox could offer a Madrigal, Vaughn, Stiever, and wild card like Hansen/Adolfo etc and might be able to even get it done. Sox would obviously have to be committed to signing him, but that would be great lol.

Quite a package for 2 years of an expensive player.  

Just now, Balta1701 said:

That's the kind of package it would take.

That's also the kind of package the White Sox can't offer because of the lack of depth in their system. 

HARD PASS.  Dude is going to make close to $50M in his final 2 years of arb.  Just sign Rendon and give up no assets if thats your plan.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

HARD PASS.  Dude is going to make close to $50M in his final 2 years of arb.  Just sign Rendon and give up no assets if thats your plan.  

I'm far more concerned about giving up Vaughn and Madrigal than the money. We've got money to spend, but we don't have money to spend on Bryant + replacing Vaughn and Madrigal and finding pitching.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm far more concerned about giving up Vaughn and Madrigal than the money. We've got money to spend, but we don't have money to spend on Bryant + replacing Vaughn and Madrigal and finding pitching.

We're on the same page. 

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

We're on the same page. 

I hear you, but at the same time they would fill the RF gap that they are considering spending 15-18 million a year on anyway. So the upgrade to Bryant is about another 12 million. 

You'd have to replace Madrigal, but the other pieces aren't really locked into the future with the way the team is constructed. Vaughn is, but at the same time maybe Collins pans out and saves you from having to invest in that position heavily. 

I'd be happy as a clam if they got Bryant - assuming they were set on signing him obviously. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I hear you, but at the same time they would fill the RF gap that they are considering spending 15-18 million a year on anyway. So the upgrade to Bryant is about another 12 million. 

You'd have to replace Madrigal, but the other pieces aren't really locked into the future with the way the team is constructed. Vaughn is, but at the same time maybe Collins pans out and saves you from having to invest in that position heavily. 

I'd be happy as a clam if they got Bryant - assuming they were set on signing him obviously. 

I don't even think its worth the brainpower to analyze.  

Just thinking about where we'd be right now (as a fanbase) if they hadn't signed Grandal. You can already see the team/media reminding everyone about that, which, was a very good signing, but only one step in making this a successful offseason in what is the most important offseason in recent memory. Without Grandal, the reality is we're likely going into the season with a nearly identical roster as to last year. 

58 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

For two years of Bryant totalling roughly $50 million? We would be getting absolutely hosed on that trade, punting tons of future value. 

That trade package could get you an extremely good player under long term control