Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

6 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I’ve never expected Cole or Stras. I would have liked a run at Rendon but I knew they wouldn’t. I would have liked them to add literally any of the B or C tier starters. I would like to see them make an effort for a better right fielder but all indication is that they are good with Mazara. I would have like to see them grab Treinen. Didi would have been nice for 2nd. Literally anything that makes the team better. Mazara is a rebuilding move that I would have loved last year. They have been talking competing with a division wide open but their actions speak louder

You’re entitled to your opinions and I’m not going to tell you you’re wrong, but sounds like you want to spend $ just for the sake of spending $. Id rather spend $ to build a WS contender than just to try and build a team that wins 80 games next year. That does nothing for me personally.

Yes it sucks that we will never be in on the top of the top free agents, but that’s something you’re just going to have to accept.   We are in the same boat as probably 22-24 other teams in that regard though.

Just now, TheFutureIsNear said:

You’re entitled to your opinions and I’m not going to tell you you’re wrong, but sounds like you want to spend $ just for the sake of spending $. Id rather spend $ to build a WS contender than just to try and build a team that wins 80 games next year. That does nothing for me personally.

Yes it sucks that we will never be in on the top of the top free agents, but that’s something you’re just going to have to accept.   We are in the same boat as probably 22-24 other teams in that regard though.

In my opinion this is a bad take. If you are not going to go after the top tier, you have to pivot to improving where you can. You can’t build a contender without spending somewhere. Sox aren’t going to field a WS contender standing pat

5 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

That is literally what they just did by trading for a depth piece to start at RF.

The only reason "he makes us better" over last year is because they were historically bad in RF.

Edited by BackDoorBreach
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

I'll take on another Yo if they throw Thor back.... Only stomaching a year for $29.5M, and if he's still hurt, insurance will cover it anyways.   And if he's not, at least he's got a competent bat and has a cannon.

Maybe we could make a deal where we don’t try to void his deal with MLb if he agrees not to try and come back.

24 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I’ve never expected Cole or Stras. I would have liked a run at Rendon but I knew they wouldn’t. I would have liked them to add literally any of the B or C tier starters. I would like to see them make an effort for a better right fielder but all indication is that they are good with Mazara. I would have like to see them grab Treinen. Didi would have been nice for 2nd. Literally anything that makes the team better. Mazara is a rebuilding move that I would have loved last year. They have been talking competing with a division wide open but their actions speak louder

This is pretty much spot on!

Guys, you've all said it ... It comes down to money. Jerry won't spend it. End of story. We will not work with Scott Boras because we know he will squeeze every penny out of us. Jerry doesn't like that. The Mazara move is another example. I don't "hate" the trade, but it is another move that was made, simply to say we "made a move". As opposed to simply going out and paying for one of the two players (Ozuna/Castellanos) who are established MLB professional players (I don't give a sh*t about the defensive metrics, that can be debated another time because all the options were bad), we chose to give away prospect capital for a player we hope breaks out with a change of scenery. In reality, it's because 5.7 million this season, is less than 14-16 million.

It's the same with the Bulls. There is a reason we end up with the Carlos Boozer's and Pau Gasol's of the world and not the Dewayne Wade's, Carmelo Anthony's, etc.

If I had to guess ... "Plan B" will be Ivan Nova and Brett Anderson. That way the money that "will be spent" will still be around for one more year closer to sale/death for Jerry.

Edited by QBBrian13

Just now, Orlando said:

In my opinion this is a bad take. If you are not going to go after the top tier, you have to pivot to improving where you can. You can’t build a contender without spending somewhere. Sox aren’t going to field a WS contender standing pat

Of course they aren’t...but throwing $ at the Porcello’s and other mediocre players of the world isn’t going to win them a WS either. There has to be some situational awareness here. We aren’t anywhere close to adding a few mediocre role player to winning anything. 

Criticize them for not being able to close the deal on Wheeler all you want. That’s fair. But being upset about missing out on lesser talent makes no sense to me. 

3 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

That is literally what they just did by trading for a depth piece to start at RF.

The only reason "he makes us better" over last year is because they were historically bad in RF.

A guy who had an .844 OPS against RHP doesn't really make us better? 

5 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I agree with this. Actually, I am one for not spending over $300 million on one player. That is the idea behind a rebuild. The team develops players from within without getting bogged down to long term contracts that might just hinder the club later. But free agent money still needs to be spent eventually. At least the team made a good effort on Wheeler but more needs to be done. Either that or the Sox have another non-contending season. 

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Where are we now. Have they beaten me into submission where I’d be excited for Keuchel and Miley, and join all the other fans attached to Hahns underbelly.

Yes, I think that is where we are at now.  The sad thing is that I even question them signing Keuchel at this point, which I still think would be a decent, not great, signing.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Guys, I hope you know that last night posting was a comedy routine. I was trying to cheer people up by being ridiculous. Ever heard of dark humor? 

It was all intentional hyperbole. 

I :

A) didn't want Rendon 

B) never expected them to be in on him because it makes no sense. 

The Rendon thread started to go off the rails and I was trying to cheer people up. There are not so subtle hints in the threads that I was 100% not serious. 

A lot of those comments were meant to be so ridiculous that they're funny. 

I thought people can tell which posts were serious and which ones weren't, but I guess not. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I agree with this. Actually, I am one for not spending over $300 million on one player. That is the idea behind a rebuild. The team develops players from within without getting bogged down to long term contracts that might just hinder the club later. But free agent money still needs to be spent eventually. At least the team made a good effort on Wheeler but more needs to be done. Either that or the Sox have another non-contending season. 

This is taking the point I was making way out of context. I never said anything close to being against spending $. I just don’t see why people are upset about not signing mediocre players that aren’t going to help us win a WS. We should 100% still be going hard after Ryu, Bum, Keuchel (the latter 2 to a lesser extent). Nor should we be out on Castellanos or Ozuna. If in a month + they made no real efforts to sign any of these guys I’ll be right on board b****ing with you guys. But in the mean time I don’t care if other teams are signing the middle of the road free agents that aren’t going to do crap but make us win another 10 meaningless games. 

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

No.  You also didn't read what I said.  And you're making my point.

Not only did they trade for a replacement level RF to be a starter, he is also a platoon bat.

No, I read what you said, and my point remains.

We don't know that the plan is for him to start. 

Assuming he continues to improve, he helps against RHP in a RH heavy division. 

23 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Porcello on a one year, $10 million dollar deal would have been fine as our second SP target.  He would cover for the return of Kopech and Rodon and then be gone after the season to make room for them in the rotation in 2020.

If he covers the return of Kopech and Rodon, doesn't that mean neither Kopech and Rondon make an appearance this season?  

Or are we looking for a 6 man rotation, something no one ever does? 

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

If he covers the return of Kopech and Rodon, doesn't that mean neither Kopech and Rondon make an appearance this season?  

Or are we looking for a 6 man rotation, something no one ever does? 

You also have to factor in that Lopez might pitch himself into the bullpen if he continues his 2019 season.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

2 minutes ago, scs787 said:

No, I read what you said, and my point remains.

We don't know that the plan is for him to start. 

Assuming he continues to improve, he helps against RHP in a RH heavy division. 

But he hasn't improved.  The one remarkable thing about Mazara is he is consistently the same bad player every year.