Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

1 minute ago, Bad Hombre said:

Because Reinsdorf refuses to do business with Scott Boras. The last time the Sox signed a Boras free agent was an over-the-hill Andruw Jones literally TEN YEARS AGO!!

Boras seemed to imply last night that the Sox weren’t being aggressive enough with his clients 

My favorite ticket office lady called me again just now since I WAS mulling over plans based on the moves made.

I obviously voiced my displeasure in a very nice way and said they needed to spend money for me to consider again. She said she'll be calling me back after they make a "big move".

I'm not Heroposting or anything like that, but I KNOW that feedback goes to someone higher up than her.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

My favorite ticket office lady called me again just now since I WAS mulling over plans based on the moves made.

I obviously voiced my displeasure in a very nice way and said they needed to spend money for me to consider again. She said she'll be calling me back after they make a "big move".

I'm not Heroposting or anything like that, but I KNOW that feedback goes to someone higher up than her.  

tenor.gif

4 minutes ago, Bad Hombre said:

Because Reinsdorf refuses to do business with Scott Boras. The last time the Sox signed a Boras free agent was an over-the-hill Andruw Jones literally TEN YEARS AGO!!

yeah that is probably the truth but how many BIG time Boras clients wind up with the lower level teams when they are free agents?  very little.  

This off-season, if we walk away with Grandal + Mazara & then add a few 1-2 year deals on guys like an Alex Wood and Scooter Gennett, Justin Smoak would be okay with me. I'm in the minority here, but I think those two bats can be had at a very reasonable price + are good StatCast types. Gennett can be your Leury 2.0 bouncing around the whole field. Smoak can spell DH/1B as well. I'm fine with this - it's not dropping $$, but I actually think we shouldn't be spending money yet. 

Then I think the Sox add 2 starters that are in the Alex Wood type mold. Not world beaters, but serviceable guys. I'd take him and I'd even take Nova back. 

Now, that's the minority view and that just gets this team to like 81 wins. And I'm fine with that. HOWEVER, the problem is I don't trust Jerry to spend the money ever, so it doesn't really matter, because the reason i'm okay with the above plan is that I expect and need the Sox to go out in 1.5-2 years and be the team that signs Wheeler and Didi or Rendon and Ryu or trades for Lindor and signs Gerrit Cole. 

If I'm playing arm chair GM, this is how I'm doing it. In 2020 I'm adding serviceable vets on 1-2 year deals. Give these young players a chance to learn and grow at the MLB level, learn to win, come together, assess deficiencies. Next offseason I'm out there signing Mookie Betts and creating MLB's best OF  for the next 5 years with Eloy, Robert and Mookie. Then I'm trading some nice prospects to pick up a Blake Snell type controllable pitcher. I'd add a Quintana type  too dependent on how Dunning, Rodon, Lopez, Cease all turn out too. The following offseason I'd be on the last year of a Abreu deal and I'd know all i need to know about Vaughn and Madrigal at that point (as well as Robert, Moncada, etc.) and be looking to extend in house talent and adding a top end SP in Kluber/Syndergaard, Verlander, etc. type + a top bat where a deficiency arises in Freddie Freeman, Lindor, Story, Bryant, Arenado, etc. 

So you're basically adding Betts on a major, major deal, a controllable pitcher on a reasonable deal via minor league talent, extending one in-house guy, signing an aging proven TOR guy in a Verlander, Scherzer, Kluber type in hopes they have something left, and then taking a stab at the 2021-22 FA class for a bat where one of your in house guys didn't do the job you expected. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bad Hombre said:

Normally I’d say take whatever an agent says with a grain of salt, but I believe this 100%

yes its easy to think that.. However Boras waits to drag the big boys into the conversation. Thats why it took Harper so long not to sign. He didnt have the big boy suitors.  he will draw the Dodgers, Cardinals, Angels. Phillies in on Kuechel and Ryu.  The Sox, Twins, or Toronto would have to really pay big to land one

1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

This off-season, if we walk away with Grandal + Mazara & then add a few 1-2 year deals on guys like an Alex Wood and Scooter Gennett, Justin Smoak would be okay with me. I'm in the minority here, but I think those two bats can be had at a very reasonable price + are good StatCast types. Gennett can be your Leury 2.0 bouncing around the whole field. Smoak can spell DH/1B as well. I'm fine with this - it's not dropping $$, but I actually think we shouldn't be spending money yet. 

Then I think the Sox add 2 starters that are in the Alex Wood type mold. Not world beaters, but serviceable guys. I'd take him and I'd even take Nova back. 

Now, that's the minority view and that just gets this team to like 81 wins. And I'm fine with that. HOWEVER, the problem is I don't trust Jerry to spend the money ever, so it doesn't really matter, because the reason i'm okay with the above plan is that I expect and need the Sox to go out in 1.5-2 years and be the team that signs Wheeler and Didi or Rendon and Ryu or trades for Lindor and signs Gerrit Cole. 

If I'm playing arm chair GM, this is how I'm doing it. In 2020 I'm adding serviceable vets on 1-2 year deals. Give these young players a chance to learn and grow at the MLB level, learn to win, come together, assess deficiencies. Next offseason I'm out there signing Mookie Betts and creating MLB's best OF  for the next 5 years with Eloy, Robert and Mookie. Then I'm trading some nice prospects to pick up a Blake Snell type controllable pitcher. I'd add a Quintana type  too dependent on how Dunning, Rodon, Lopez, Cease all turn out too. The following offseason I'd be on the last year of a Abreu deal and I'd know all i need to know about Vaughn and Madrigal at that point (as well as Robert, Moncada, etc.) and be looking to extend in house talent and adding a top end SP in Kluber/Syndergaard, Verlander, etc. type + a top bat where a deficiency arises in Freddie Freeman, Lindor, Story, Bryant, Arenado, etc. 

So you're basically adding Betts on a major, major deal, a controllable pitcher on a reasonable deal via minor league talent, extending one in-house guy, signing an aging proven TOR guy in a Verlander, Scherzer, Kluber type in hopes they have something left, and then taking a stab at the 2021-22 FA class for a bat where one of your in house guys didn't do the job you expected. 

As a whole the job is not done yet.  Patience but i understand fan frustration.  You look at the current lineup in 2023 and if the projections are true they have alot of players under control before and during the prime. Chances are Ill be dead but I believe in the plan.

1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

Why do you do this to yourself? We are not going to add Betts or a top end player in 2021.

4 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Yeah, I find any offseason that involves Grandal can't be a failure. But it hasn't been satisfying. 

37 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Service time at the expense of paying some scrub like Porcelo/Nova $10 million?    I highly doubt they would do that or it being a smart business decision.  But I wouldn't put it past the Sox.  

More to it than service time, that is a just a benfit to handling this the proper way.  

10 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Rather than sign Gennett or another 2B, I hope that Hahn approaches Madrigal about signing a deal like he did with Eloy last year, so Madrigal can be on the opening day roster and you avoid the need to sign a veteran to a short term contract.  They can just roll with Mendick and Leury as the backups. 

33 minutes ago, fathom said:

Boras seemed to imply last night that the Sox weren’t being aggressive enough with his clients 

Boras literally said the opposite in his media scrum on Tuesday.  Something like - "I've spent a lot of time on the phone with the White Sox last several days.  They're being very aggressive."