Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

17 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

All the angst from Sox fans.   Did people really honestly think the Sox were going to come out with a Cole, Strasburg , or Rendon this offseason?   I'm assuming that's where all the negativeness comes from.  

I myself  was shocked we even got Grandal. 

Maybe the Wheeler thing is what ruined the mood.  But let's get real, 5 years $120 million for that guy was a tall reach to begin with.   

Their payroll today is south of 90 million.  No I didn't think we were going to get Cole or Stras or Rendon.   I did however think they were going to spend a little money.   Think of all the money they wasted last year on the friends and family plan.  Its depressing.

5 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Their payroll today is south of 90 million.  No I didn't think we were going to get Cole or Stras or Rendon.   I did however think they were going to spend a little money.   Think of all the money they wasted last year on the friends and family plan.  Its depressing.

They basically wasted around $42 million dollars last offseason on Alonso, Nova, Herrera, Jay, and Santana.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

Why do you do this to yourself? We are not going to add Betts or a top end player in 2021.

I fully expect JR and Hahn not to follow my plan, but that was my arm chair GM plan. I truly in my heart believe trying to go all out on most of these FA this year wasn't worth it... 

I do think Wheeler could've been justified. I think that Rendon DEFINITELY could have been justified. I liked the Grandal signing. But outside of that I really wouldn't want the Cole deal at the price, I wouldn't want the Stras contract at that price. in two years? Yes - I want those deals. But I'm not nearly as upset as most Sox fans.

We likely don't sign a top end player or Betts next year or in 2021, but that would be my dream. I fully expect us to keep dicking around on meh targets and to mess up this beautiful run that we are poised to be on. I expect Hahn to go out and trade for David Price type, spend $32mm on an arm like James Shields and then strap ourselves from really pursuing what we need during a REAL contention window. That's the Bulls and Sox way. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Last offseason was really bad.

This year is arguably much worse and fans are sick of the shitty excuses and back tracking.

I mean, we did sign arguably the best position player fit available on the FA market.  Let's not forget that.  Any offseason that includes Grandal was a huge step in the right direction - obviously the 2-3 weeks since have been shitty - but there is still time to go.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean, we did sign arguably the best position player fit available on the FA market.  Let's not forget that.  Any offseason that includes Grandal was a huge step in the right direction - obviously the 2-3 weeks since have been shitty - but there is still time to go.  

They spent $42 million on Alonso, Nova, Herrera, Jay, and Santana.  I still don’t think the great signing of McCann makes up for all of that.

Grandal was an excellent start this offseason but some of that needlessly spent money from last offseason could’ve been used to convincing Wheeler to sign here than with the Phillies.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

They spent $42 million on Alonso, Nova, Herrera, Jay, and Santana.  I still don’t think the great signing of McCann makes up for all of that.

Grandal was an excellent start this offseason but some of that needlessly spent money from last offseason could’ve been used to convincing Wheeler to sign here than with the Phillies.

Yah, you mentioned that a few minutes ago, and about 5,000 times since last inter.  We get it, its old news. Move on.  

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

The fanbase has suffered without a playoff appearance since 2008. We only get ONE shot at this entire rebuild, so there absolutely has to be more urgency than we have seen. 

Anything less than going all in to win is unacceptable. If not now, when?

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Anything less than going all in to win is unacceptable. If not now, when?

To be fair, the year 2021 had always been pegged as the realistic season for this to come together. 

2020 was a best case scenario.

13 minutes ago, hi8is said:

To be fair, the year 2021 had always been pegged as the realistic season for this to come together. 

2020 was a best case scenario.

I’ll screenshot this when the sentiment in 2021 becomes, “Well guys it’s going to take a few years for everything to come together. 2022 is the time you can start evaluating the rebuild”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

I’ll screenshot this when the sentiment in 2021 becomes, “Well guys it’s going to take a few years for everything to come together. 2022 is the time you can start evaluating the rebuild”

When this first started, there was a bunch of 2019 is when the window will open posts. I remember when even optimistic Hawk was trying to temper expectations and said 2020 is when it was going to be great.

Edited by Dick Allen