Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ve given him a free pass on this for a while, but now it’s time he gets ripped for it.  He definitely credit because they were the high bid with Wheeler despite losing out on him.

He’s says everything is binary, and then he makes excuses for why it’s a no. He just seems so shell-shocked from the Manny debacle.  I truly don’t think he could have handled this week worse in the media.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

This. 

He brings this on himself, but to be fair it doesn't matter - he's been with the orginization for 20 years and isn't held accountable. Neither is KW, neither will anybody else JR brings in. It's amazing JR is as rich as he is, because he sure doesn't know how to run a company or business. 

He does know how to run a business, that is the problem. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

But he doesn't know for sure if we will win the title this year. We won't know for sure until 2023. After that, we still won't know because do to market reasons, we will have to trade Gio and Moncada. 

My biggest fear is they don’t get serious about competing until 2021 and then are unable to extend Moncada / Giolito, resulting in a three year window.

• Like 1

There is no excuse for Hahn not to come away with one second tier free agent starter and at least a cheaper lesser starter/swingman this offseason.  None whatsoever.

Hahn should be absolutely shredded at SoxFest if he hasn’t landed these two players by then.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

He’s says everything is binary, and then he makes excuses for why it’s a no. He just seems so shell-shocked from the Manny debacle.  I truly don’t think he could have handled this week worse in the media.

If he was smart, he just wouldn’t talk to the media until his offseason is complete.  He constantly says something and then quickly has to backtrack.  He hyped up wanting to add two starters including one of the TOR variety and now it seems like we’ll be pursuing lesser options.  I don’t know if he’s part meatball or something, but for a guy who constantly does lawyer speak he sure says some does shit at times.

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

There is no excuse for Hahn not to come away with one second tier free agent starter and at least a cheaper lesser starter/swingman this offseason.  None whatsoever.

Hahn should be absolutely shredded at SoxFest if he hasn’t landed these two players by then.

What’s frustrating is that I get it if then don’t like the pitching options. I don’t either. But that means you upgrade the offense and make some of the prospects more available in trades for controllable starters.  It would be swell if our drafting and development had been better to create a prospect surplus, but that’s an issue for another time.

Edited by fathom

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

My biggest fear is they don’t get serious about competing until 2021 and then are unable to extend Moncada / Giolito, resulting in a three year window.

After watching them this offseason, I cannot fathom them putting anything near the kind of offers DeGrom and Arenado got on the table to extend those 2.

6 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

He clearly doesn’t like them and/or does not want to commit the years to them.  That’s totally fine, but then maybe his offseason plan should have gone in a different direction or they should have been more aggressive last year.  Basing your entire offseason around one target and not having a backup plan should be a firable offense.

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

What’s frustrating is that I get it if then don’t like the pitching options. I don’t either. But that means you upgrade the offense and make some of the prospects more available in trades for controllable starters.  It would be swell if our drafting and development had been better to create a prospect surplus, but that’s an issue for another time.

100% agree.  The lack of vision / creative thinking is what upsets me the most about this offseason.  I LOVE they went after Grandal & Wheeler, but they clearly had no contingency plan and that may prevent us from contending this year.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% agree.  The lack of vision / creative thinking is what upsets me the most about this offseason.  I LOVE they went after Grandal & Wheeler, but they clearly had no contingency plan and that may prevent us from contending this year.

Zero excuse for NOT BEING MORE AGGRESSIVE with Cleveland and Minnesota retrenching or holding back resources.

The Twins at least kept Odorizzi and Pineda...they lost Gibson and Perez wasn't even on their post-season roster, but they have three legit starters, Graterol, and 3 guys who would have fit in well with the the 2019 White Sox 5th starter's parade (granted, Dobnak put up amazing numbers in SSS, but repeating it will be a near impossibility.)

(Cleveland at least developed Clevinger and Bieber to go with their front-line starters, which is why they were able to trade Bauer and potentially Kluber and still remain competitive until they also have to shed Lindor and/or Jose Ramirez.)

But the Twins have a major advantage here.  They at least have a SURPLUS of position player talent to TRADE for a starter (not to mention better minor league depth.)   For example, Eddie Rosario.   Our best trade chips are players we simply cannot afford to trade.  At a certain point, they will have to move on from Berrios and Buxton if they won't sign extensions, but they still have enough core offensive players to remain competitive. 

We might have the higher rated system for the moment, but that all goes out the window with the 3 anticipated graduations this year.   At best, we're in the low 20's as an organization.  We just traded away our 6th best prospect and he's already ranked 12th in the Rangers' system.   We're way too top heavy.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hahn has to have a move or two up his sleeve for SP, right?  What would be the point of signing Grandal and going into the season with three healthy starters?

Edited by Moan4Yoan

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How can you know they “clearly have no contingency plan”?  Cuz they didn’t spend $300M on Cole?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

How can you know they “clearly have no contingency plan”?  Cuz they didn’t spend $300M on Cole?

Because they haven’t signed a single starter, they are messaging they don’t want to sign the tier two starters, and they don’t really have the expendable assets to trade for a quality starter.  Sure, they may go out and trade for Price, but I seriously doubt that was their original plan B.

Just now, bmags said:

I have zero clue what this means.

If we're punting on 2020, and anything at all goes wrong - after 2021 both of those guys are in the same position as Lindor right now. Getting expensive and having their trade value drop precipitously if they aren't dealt. 

55 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The Sox keep emailing and calling me about renewing ticket plan, and even offering me side deals. The clown even ensured me that next season was gonna be special. 

Lol I was offered free Sox fest tickets and box seats at the Hawks game. Said no

• Haha 1

Disappointing stretch to be sure after the excitement of the Grandal “perfect for THEIR roster” signing. 

Don’t mind not chasing and following a plan over an offseason, but I’m increasingly strained to see a plan other than “let’s make the value play and see who drops to us.” That’s so weak. 

Because of the Grandal Dodgers connection, I’d be shocked if Alex Woods isn’t a FA acquisition (assuming his back is okay). We sure need a lefty. Problem is we all know he’ll be spun as FA-SP #1 when he should be the #2. Get ready for Woods-Nova. Don’t hate the idea of Nova as the #2, but Ryu and Keuchel are there for the taking. 

As for trading away Vaughn and Madrigal — I understand that Hahn and company’s performance isn’t great, but both those guys are sure fire major leaguers, good floors with a shot of strong and valuable ceilings. This organization understands the value of THAT. The Tatis trade — giving away a high ceiling (revisionist history to say that ANYONE knew it was THAT high) kid with a low floor too has little to do with how they are likely to treasure the organizational value of Vaughn, Madrigal, and the two high school righties!

Remaining optimistic by choice, but these guys don’t make it easy on us. 

• Like 2