Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

McHugh has only started 20 games in the last 3 years combined and did his best work in those years as strictly a reliever in 2018. He hasn't pitched over 75 innings since 2016 .

I would have 0 issues with a guy like that being the 6th starter.

• Like 1

It is very hard to come on this board. It really is used only for venting. We got Grandal and Nomar. Don’t need anymore. Pitchers, need 1 if can otherwise it doesn’t matter who it is. All this talk about how important it is. We have pitchers, our problem is most will be on limits. If anything, the off-season next year is the most important. Doesn’t matter how bad you guys want it. 4 years is not that long. The players we have NEED to pitch. Have to see how they improve.

All this complaining about signing so and so to pitch. I laugh every time I see it. Buckle up. I for 1 am excited to see everyone play. Can’t wait. Hahn, has done as good as possible. No mistakes so far. The window for Gio and Moncada is getting smaller. Nothing you can do about it. If they stay as good as advertised, we’ll be able to adjust. I just want to see what happens when everyone is up and playing plus the additions so far. It’s exciting to be a Sox fan right now

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I would have 0 issues with a guy like that being the 6th starter.

Me neither. just throwing out some stats so people don't have to look them up . Might be a real good righty reliever add. You know me, add as many guys from the junk heap as the roster will allow as quick as you can and still see if you can add one of the big three 3 still left at a reasonable deal.

5 minutes ago, Drwhoo1 said:

It is very hard to come on this board. It really is used only for venting. We got Grandal and Nomar. Don’t need anymore. Pitchers, need 1 if can otherwise it doesn’t matter who it is. All this talk about how important it is. We have pitchers, our problem is most will be on limits. If anything, the off-season next year is the most important. Doesn’t matter how bad you guys want it. 4 years is not that long. The players we have NEED to pitch. Have to see how they improve.

All this complaining about signing so and so to pitch. I laugh every time I see it. Buckle up. I for 1 am excited to see everyone play. Can’t wait. Hahn, has done as good as possible. No mistakes so far. The window for Gio and Moncada is getting smaller. Nothing you can do about it. If they stay as good as advertised, we’ll be able to adjust. I just want to see what happens when everyone is up and playing plus the additions so far. It’s exciting to be a Sox fan right now

This is just not true about venting. When the Sox are in on good players people are happy and excited. The last 7 years and FA letdowns create the negativity and doubt. I'm sure this board would be different had we signed Wheeler and Ozuna/Castellanos. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Drwhoo1 said:

Nice to read a positive post.  Keep it up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Drwhoo1 said:

Thank you Rick Hahn, very cool

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

Spot on.  Spot the eff on. 

6 minutes ago, whitesoxbrad said:

Can someone please tell me and you probably know Orlando why would someone make up lies what do they get from lying do they actually make money somehow, please advise.

People think there is some prestige involved in being an MLB insider.  There isn’t.  There’s no such thing as scooping an MLB FA signing.  None of it matters until a team announces something, which usually happens 9 seconds after these legendary scoops.  

It is very hard to come on this board.  Then don’t come - problem solved.  It really is used only for venting. Presently, yes, but that’s what seven straight years of miserable baseball will garner you.  We got Grandal and Nomar. Don’t need anymore.  Yes, that’s all this 72 win team needed was just those two.  Pitchers, need 1 if can otherwise it doesn’t matter who it is.  Well, yes it does matter.  Are you trying to build a team that can match up with the likes of New York and Houston in the postseason or aren’t you!  All this talk about how important it is. We have pitchers, our problem is most will be on limits. If anything, the off-season next year is the most important. Doesn’t matter how bad you guys want it.  Oh, it doesn’t, does it?  I’m sorry, for a second there I thought “you guys” referred to the fan base, the paying customers, for whom it does matter, and quite a bit.  4 years is not that long.  Actually, 4 years is a long period of time.  High school, undergrad college, presidential terms - all in 4 year increments.  More importantly, though, the real number is 12.  12 years now since the last playoff appearance, and all of the terrible baseball that has been played since then.  The fans’ misery isn’t stated just in the years of the rebuild.  It includes the many years preceding.  The players we have NEED to pitch. Have to see how they improve.

All this complaining about signing so and so to pitch.  Yes, from serious fans who want to vastly improve the team’s ability to compete for a championship over an extended period of time.  I laugh every time I see it.  Then perhaps you’re not as serious or knowledgeable about what it’s going to take to compete with the big boys for those championships.   Buckle up. I for 1 am excited to see everyone play. Can’t wait. Hahn, has done as good as possible.  No mistakes so far.  Did you see how the last offseason unfolded?  The window for Gio and Moncada is getting smaller. Nothing you can do about it.  Except maybe bring in premium talent NOW from the outside to play alongside them while they are still around!  If they stay as good as advertised, we’ll be able to adjust.  Yeah, Hahn & Williams’ strong points - making adjustments.  I just want to see what happens when everyone is up and playing plus the additions so far.  The roster that won 72 games last year plus just Grandal & Mazara, plus one pitcher, as you suggest.  That should send shivers up the spines of the Twins and Indians!  It’s exciting to be a Sox fan right now   True, but it should be a lot more exciting if and when the team is infused with more premium talent they’ll need to add to this core to be able to compete with the big boys.  

• Thanks 6
  • Love 3

8 hours ago, Drwhoo1 said:

The window for Gio and Moncada is getting smaller. Nothing you can do about it. 

Except that statement is flat out false. There's nothing saying that they can't try harder this offseason to add premium talent. They just won't for a multitude of reasons. But to say that it's out of their control is false. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Drwhoo1 said:

giphy.gif

I actually feel bad for you here.  Hahn has done as good as possible?  That's where the post there went from bad to just, wtf man?  Really?  I kinda feel like that post was written by either Jerry Reinsdorf or Jim Boylen.

5 minutes ago, Baron said:

Except that statement is flat out false. There's nothing saying that they can't try harder this offseason to add premium talent. They just won't for a multitude of reasons. But to say that it's out of their control is false. 

Yep next year we will hear they can’t spend a lot because they have to save payroll for possible extensions 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Baron said:

It’s kind of the point of the whole rebuild...we had Eaton, Sale, Q and Abreu, but didn’t have enough nearly budget space to supplement the core from outside the organization.  Couldn’t produce our own players successfully.  If the attitude is that it’s out of their control or unchangeable...then let someone else try who believes in every fiber of their being that they can be relevant again in Chicago, the Midwest and entire country should be allowed to try.

After all, the Astros had some of the worst t.v. ratings in history amid a collapsing RSN and still pulled out of it.  Whatever you say about Hinch and Luhnow, they believed strongly in their vision for the organization.  We still don’t even have have that defined organizational purpose.  To be loyal to employees?  To maybe beat the Twins and Indians and finally get back to the playoffs, I guess.  Hahn can talk about championship or contention windows and getting to the postseason in consecutive years, but it often rings hollow these days when he repeats it.  It’s more like a politician than someone who believes it.  Machado and Wheeler have really knocked him off his game.

Edited by caulfield12

Madrigal, Cease, Basabe (Collins?) for Darvish and Rizzo. 

Anyone think we could get close on something like this?  I’d rather do something like Madrigal, Leury, Reynaldo, Collins but I don’t think the Cubs would trade Darvish with Reynaldo as the best SP coming back.  Although, I do belive this option could fill more holes on their current roster. 

They’d still be able to compete by singing a guy like Keuchel to somehwat replace Darvish while adding the talented young SP from the Sox who would probably be an asset next season.  

Madrigal could give them their 2B and top of the order hitter for the next six years. 

Collins could get time behind the plate and 1B to unrealistically but still possibly come close to replacing Rizzo’s power.  At worst, he will give them power and walks from the left side.  

Leury could also be a very nice piece next season as he can literally play all over the field and their current CF is awful across the board.  

The big thing for Cubs would be clearing 40mil over the next two years by taking on like 3mil in salary while filling holes on the current roster and replenishing the organization with young talent.  

9 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

Madrigal, Cease, Basabe (Collins?) for Darvish and Rizzo. 

Anyone think we could get close on something like this?  I’d rather do something like Madrigal, Leury, Reynaldo, Collins but I don’t think the Cubs would trade Darvish with Reynaldo as the best SP coming back.  Although, I do belive this option could fill more holes on their current roster. 

They’d still be able to compete by singing a guy like Keuchel to somehwat replace Darvish while adding the talented young SP from the Sox who would probably be an asset next season.  

Madrigal could give them their 2B and top of the order hitter for the next six years. 

Collins could get time behind the plate and 1B to unrealistically but still possibly come close to replacing Rizzo’s power.  At worst, he will give them power and walks from the left side.  

Leury could also be a very nice piece next season as he can literally play all over the field and their current CF is awful across the board.  

The big thing for Cubs would be clearing 40mil over the next two years by taking on like 3mil in salary while filling holes on the current roster and replenishing the organization with young talent.  

Cubs aren't trading their darling Rizzo across town.  And that does little to help our contending window.

2 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Cubs aren't trading their darling Rizzo across town.  And that does little to help our contending window.

The Cubs will make any trade they feel helps their organization and/or fits their plan.  

Not sure why you would think that does little to help in our window.  That’s two massive impact players for the next two years and one for the next four years.  

It’s more of an impact than any rumor out there.

6 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

The Cubs will make any trade they feel helps their organization and/or fits their plan.  

Not sure why you would think that does little to help in our window.  That’s two massive impact players for the next two years and one for the next four years.  

It’s more of an impact than any rumor out there.

At that point, might as well trade Robert, Eloy, Vaughn for win now as well and go for broke.  You're closing the window up the contention window.

Didn't know the Florida Marlins plan was on the table.

Edited by bschmaranz