Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ve been since before 2005, just under a different handle.

As for the trade, I truly believe it’s one of the worst trade proposals I have ever seen.  I’m excluding trades where we overvalue our own prospects, because those happen frequently.  It’s an all-in trade that doesn’t even fill any holes for us, as we’d still need two starters and a bat, but would now have ~$40M less to do so with.  Look, valuation is subjective, but that’s a move so bad that I would have to question whether Hahn was looking for a future job with the Cubs.

The 15 year authority sounds more like a 5 year old child throwing a tantrum because a someone proposed trading for Cubs players.  

The trade isn’t that bad, even when you tried your hardest to make it look completely one sided. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

The 15 year authority sounds more like a 5 year old child throwing a tantrum because a someone proposed trading for Cubs players.  

The trade isn’t that bad, even when you tried your hardest to make it look completely one sided. 

Rizzo is only under contract for 2 more seasons at $29 million.  Darvish is under contract for 4 more years and is owed $81 million.  It seems like a lot of talent to give up to also take on $110 million dollars.  I’d sooner take on that kind of money for 3 years of Price and Benintendi, which I believe would also cost less than your proposed combination of Madrigal, Cease, and Basabe/Collins.  Darvish (33) is only a year younger than Price (34) and Rizzo is 30 while Benintendi is 25.  Benintendi also can play the outfield while Rizzo is purely a 1B/DH where we have far too many types of these players.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

19 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Rizzo is only under contract for 2 more seasons at $29 million.  Darvish is under contract for 4 more years and is owed $81 million.  It seems like a lot of talent to give up to also take on $110 million dollars.  I’d sooner take on that kind of money for 3 years of Price and Benintendi, which I believe would also cost less than your proposed combination of Madrigal, Cease, and Basabe/Collins.  Darvish (33) is only a year younger than Price (34) and Rizzo is 30 while Benintendi is 25.  Benintendi also can play the outfield while Rizzo is purely a 1B/DH where we have far too many types of these players.

Would much prefer Darvish/Rizzo to Price/Beni. Rizzo is arguably the best def. 1B in MLB and if both Darvish and Price are right, I'd want Darvish all day. You certainly wouldn't have to part with Madrigal and Cease for the Boston pieces, who are infinitely more available, whereas very little incentive for Cubs to move two of their key 2020 pieces. 

1 hour ago, Sambuca said:

There is a lot of angst and debate over a trade that is never going to happen. I appreciate many here who have used their imaginations to come up with trade proposals that would improve the club. However, it is also frustrating to think about them because the Sox have done so little. 

As it has been pointed out, there is still time in this off-season to do something. But so much of the prime talent is now gone. I am not waiting for or anticipating any big moves to be made by this franchise. If they do something to improve the roster, I will be happily surprised. But I will not believe it until it actually happens. and I won't speculate about it.

• Like 2

Offer MadBum 3x30. Overpay but shorten the length. If not this, would anyone want Price 3x34? Probably get him for free if we agreed to

take the whole contract. Sox need pitching, and the only way to get it seems to be accepting risk. Ryu might be cheaper than either option,

but his arm will fall off inevitably.

8 minutes ago, zisk said:

Offer MadBum 3x30. Overpay but shorten the length. If not this, would anyone want Price 3x34? Probably get him for free if we agreed to

take the whole contract. Sox need pitching, and the only way to get it seems to be accepting risk. Ryu might be cheaper than either option,

but his arm will fall off inevitably.

Fantastic timing.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, The Beast said:

What’s likely now, Ryu and Keuchel, Keuchel and a rental and Price and Keuchel? I don’t see many more options has to bring in two pitchers.

I don’t think there’s many of us that want them trotting out Covey every fifth day.

It’s very likely the most probable answer is none of the above

To me, what’s likely now is a full year of Kopech.  If you are trying to claw back a year of service time, it is way easier to justify that in a “competitive” year when you have a Wheeler than when you have Dylan Covey or whatever.  With Rodon coming back, if Kopech reaches his innings limit, you can just shut him down.  Hard to imagine that, breaking camp, the Sox will have 5 better starters than Michael Kopech.

8 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

To me, what’s likely now is a full year of Kopech.  If you are trying to claw back a year of service time, it is way easier to justify that in a “competitive” year when you have a Wheeler than when you have Dylan Covey or whatever.  With Rodon coming back, if Kopech reaches his innings limit, you can just shut him down.  Hard to imagine that, breaking camp, the Sox will have 5 better starters than Michael Kopech.

They'll sign 2 SP I'm sure, even if one isn't a front of the rotation 1 or 2 type. As of now (assuming Kopech starts in minors), you're looking at a 4 and 5 of Covey and Fulmer. Give me 2 of Wood, Walker and Teheran if we have to over those 2 lol

Edited by soxfan2014

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

They'll sign 2 SP I'm sure, even if one isn't a front of the rotation 1 or 2 type. As of now (assuming Kopech starts in minors), you're looking at a 4 and 5 of Covey and Fulmer. Give me 2 of Wood, Walker and Teheran if we have to over those 2 lol

Here’s my thought:  you have to spend money one way or the other.  Either spend it on the front side on somebody way better than Julio Teheran or spend it on the back end by giving it to Kopech.  Remember, clawing back his service time has him down until June.  I can’t imagine watching any 2 of the guys you mention for two months when I know I have Kopech.  At a certain point, you do have to pretend you are being competitive for the sake of the other players.

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

I was confident our FO would do some big things, but I'm almost at the point of giving up. They are gonna give us the BS line that now is not the time to make acquisitions as our window hasn't opened yet. It's amazing that missing out on Wheeler ruined their entire gameplan. 

We’ll find out soon enough whether they are just waiting out Boras or if they truly didn’t have a plan B.  Honestly, the rational side of me thinks the former, but each time a free agent pitcher get picked off I think the latter.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

We’ll find out soon enough whether they are just waiting out Boras or if they truly didn’t have a plan B.  Honestly, the rational side of me thinks the former, but each time a free agent pitcher get picked off I think the latter.

I think they are after the trade market for guys other teams don't want due to cost. 

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I was confident our FO would do some big things, but I'm almost at the point of giving up. They are gonna give us the BS line that now is not the time to make acquisitions as our window hasn't opened yet. It's amazing that missing out on Wheeler ruined their entire gameplan. 

Considering the fact that they tried to sign Wheeler, I don’t see how Hahn can use this ridiculous excuse unless the Sox really think their fans are gullible morons.

I hate bringing up Cubs trades because they’re mentioned wayyyyyyyyy too often here. But Quintana still makes a ton of sense. Just have to wonder if Cubs would expect more from Sox than from anyone else considering circumstances. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I hate bringOmg up Cubs trades because they’re mentioned wayyyyyyyyy too much here. But Quintana still makes a ton of sense. Just have to wonder if Cubs would expect more from Sox than from anyone else considering circumstances. 

Agree on the fit