Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

10 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Yeah, as this offseason goes on it looks more and more like the organization is content on making a run at it in 2021 instead of 2020. At least, that's the optimistic way of looking at it. The pessimistic way of looking at it is that this organization is incompetent. 

I think you mean "logical."

Add this point my ideal plan B would be the following:

• Ryu - 3/$66M
  • Walker - 1/$9M
  • Encarnacion - 1/$10M
  • Harris - 2/$18M
  • Holt - 2/$9M
  • Maybin - 1/$4M
  • McCann traded for prospect depth

Here would be the lineup on OD and come June 1st respectively:

• 1B: Abreu
  • 2B: Holt* / Madrigal
  • SS: Anderson
  • 3B: Moncada#
  • LF: Jimenez
  • CF: Maybin / Robert
  • RF: Mazara*
  • DH: Encarnacion
  • CA: Grandal#
  •  
  • IF: Mendick / Holt*
  • OF: Engel / Maybin
  • UT: Garcia#
  • BC: Collins*
  •  
  • #1: Giolito
  • #2: Ryu*
  • #3: Cease
  • #4: Lopez
  • #5: Walker / Kopech
  •  
  • CL: Colome
  • SU: Bummer*
  • SU: Harris
  • MR: Herrera
  • MR: Fry*
  • MR: Cordero
  • MR: Marshall / Rodon*
  • LR: Fulmer / Walker

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm with Fegan; encarnacion doesnt make a lot of sense. They have in house pieces for that spot.

I'm not sure the Sox are interested in Keuchel or Ryu. Language seems to be shifting towards the White Sox passing. Things don't sound good; hope I'm wrong. 

Yep. They can not open the year with Covey and Fulmer both in the rotation.

5 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yep. They can not open the year with Covey and Fulmer both in the rotation.

How would they? Giolito, Cease, Kopech, Lopez, someone else. And we know they wouldn't go with Covey or Fulmer for the 5th spot even if they don't bring in a legit FA starter.

Just now, Jake said:

How would they? Giolito, Cease, Kopech, Lopez, someone else. And we know they wouldn't go with Covey or Fulmer for the 5th spot even if they don't bring in a legit FA starter.

Yeah the Covey stuff is ridiculous.  Even after they miss on Ryu and Keuchel, I’m sure they will get two starters to try and get by with this year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

Because Hahn has basically come out and said Kopech will start in the minors. I'm talking about as of right now with the current roster, those guys are your 4 and 5.

Edit: in another thread, someone painted a scenario of adding no more pitching and adding another bat or two.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Because Hahn has basically come out and said Kopech will start in the minors. I'm talking about as of right now with the current roster, those guys are your 4 and 5.

Edit: in another thread, someone painted a scenario of adding no more pitching and adding another bat or two.

Can you point me to a link to Hahn's comments about Kopech? I've never seen anything like that.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I think people need to stop listening to anything Hahn says. The plan might have been him being in the minors, but that was before they lost out on Wheeler.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm with Fegan; encarnacion doesnt make a lot of sense. They have in house pieces for that spot.

I'm not sure the Sox are interested in Keuchel or Ryu. Language seems to be shifting towards the White Sox passing. Things don't sound good; hope I'm wrong. 

Passing to what though?  What are the alternatives?  If Bumgarner only got 5/$85M with sizable deferrals, I can’t imagine Keuchel would anything that ridiculous.  Hell, even at 3/$52M he’d likely be movable after the 2020 season if something better came along.  I get there’s a non-zero chance he falls off a cliff, but we’ve got to be prepared to take small, calculated risks or we’ll likely throw away the 2020 season.

Just now, Jake said:

One potentially important difference between MadBum and Keuchel/Ryu is the draft pick compensation.

The Sox do not seem enamored with any of the available FA starting pitching right now. Reading between the lines I have my doubts we seriously pursue Keuchel or Ryu, and either look to made a trade or ink inexpensive stopgaps. 

49 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Can you elaborate on the bolded part?  What language are you referring to?

Seems to me it's been very quiet on the Ryu/Keuchel front for all teams, not just the White Sox.

44 minutes ago, Jake said:

Can you point me to a link to Hahn's comments about Kopech? I've never seen anything like that.

This is what Hahn said about Kopech. He obviously never directly said that he would start in AAA, but I think that's what he was getting at here...

“I just don’t know when he’s going to be on the major league active roster. His rehab has gone wonderfully. He’s perfectly on pace. He’s going to be in spring training without restriction, and he’s going to be over 18 months removed from throwing a pitch in anger to a hitter. So, let’s let the kid develop, and when he’s ready, he’s going to be back.”

16 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Can you elaborate on the bolded part?  What language are you referring to?

Seems to me it's been very quiet on the Ryu/Keuchel front for all teams, not just the White Sox.

Beat writers seem to be pushing back against the narrative that the White Sox are involved in either; from Fegan's last two pieces, he has implied that the Sox don't see value in these post 30 starters without power stuff and find them to be too risky, and a "forced signing" and not one they would make normally.

• Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Beat writers seem to be pushing back against the narrative that the White Sox are involved in either; from Fegan's last two pieces, he has implied that the Sox don't see value in these post 30 starters without power stuff and find them to be too risky, and a "forced signing" and not one they would make normally.

Yep while implying 2021 is when the window starts. It’s amazing how much missing on Wheeler has messed things up.