Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

41 minutes ago, mqr said:

It's mostly  just an op-ed 

The one thing I was wondering about this morning, is why Fegan retweeted the Robbie Ray is a trade candidate article. That notion doesn't seem to jive with the piece that he just put out.

Edited by DirtySox

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

Do you really believe we just refuse to do business with him?  If there was an over/under bet in Vegas on the White Sox signing 0.5 Boras clients this offeseason, I would bet the over.

Well we certainly don't prefer to, this much is obvious. In fact, this shouldn't even be a discussion. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

Well we certainly don't prefer to, this much is obvious. In fact, this shouldn't even be a discussion. 

I won't argue with that.  But when you say that we are petty enough to not do business with Boras, that is false. I guarantee we have discussed deals with Boras already this offseason, which means we are not too petty to do business with him.  Like you said, we probably just prefer not to.

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

I remember when Kuechel was a "meh" option about a month ago. Now if the Sox sign him, everyone will be pleased. Sox should capitalize on this.

I believe I said if Dallas Keuchel is our big FA SP addition I'll be seething.  He's not very good and his numbers have been getting worse.  He's not going to kill the team like Madbum at 5/100 would if he takes a 3 year deal but he's such a gross signing and does nothing for me, in my humblest of opinions.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

I won't argue with that.  But when you say that we are petty enough to not do business with Boras, that is false. I guarantee we have discussed deals with Boras already this offseason, which means we are not too petty to do business with him.  Like you said, we probably just prefer not to.

Well it is petty to not be all in engaged with the main sports agent of baseball. There is no reason to prefer not doing business with him. Talking to him hoping to get a cheap deal isn't good enough. 

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I believe I said if Dallas Keuchel is our big FA SP addition I'll be seething.  He's not very good and his numbers have been getting worse.  He's not going to kill the team like Madbum at 5/100 would if he takes a 3 year deal but he's such a gross signing and does nothing for me, in my humblest of opinions.

I felt exactly the same way. But now? I hope we sign Kuechel. Times have changed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I remember when Kuechel was a "meh" option about a month ago. Now if the Sox sign him, everyone will be pleased. Sox should capitalize on this.

I have always wanted him from the beginning, he is a winner and has been with winners for years, you do not have to throw fast to be a winning pitcher, but I would be stunned if he wanted to come here.

• Like 1

Nicholas Castellanos (No. 13): Castellanos is one of the most divisive free agents of recent years. He can certainly hit -- 88 extra-base hits last season, including 58 doubles, the most since Todd Helton hit 59 in 2000. Turning 28 in March, he's also the youngest of any of the top 50 free agents. While his bat is excellent, it's not really elite, as he ranked 48th in the majors in wOBA. That's the concern, because all his value comes in the batter's box, as he's a below-average defender in the outfield.

Best fits: White Sox, Rangers, Diamondbacks, Indians, Rockies

Prediction: White Sox. This could be a situation similar to that of Mike Moustakas the past two offseasons: a nice player without an obvious match. The Diamondbacks are desperate for an outfielder, but they have placed a big emphasis on outfield defense, and Castellanos may be out of their price range anyway. My personal choice would be the Rockies, if only to see how many doubles he could hit at Coors Field. The Rangers just traded Nomar Mazara and the Indians cleared away Corey Kluber's salary, so Castellanos fits in either place. But I'll go with the White Sox, even though they just acquired Mazara. Castellanos can fill the hole at DH and play some right field against left-handers.

From Dave Schoenfeld/ESPN article

7 minutes ago, whitesoxbrad said:

I have always wanted him from the beginning, he is a winner and has been with winners for years, you do not have to throw fast to be a winning pitcher, but I would be stunned if he wanted to come here.

Pitching for good teams might have something to do with his being a"winner". He's a solid if unspectacular starter now.

25 minutes ago, whitesoxbrad said:

I mean if playing on great teams makes you a winner... Then okay.. But the past 2-3 years he's been getting worse and worse.

15 minutes ago, zisk said:

Pitching for good teams might have something to do with his being a"winner". He's a solid if unspectacular starter now.

Dallas Keuchel (No. 30): I like Keuchel a little better than Keith did in his rankings, and while Keuchel went 8-8 with a 3.75 ERA in 19 starts with the Braves after not signing until early June, there are some possible concerns with him. He allowed a .338 OBP, his highest mark since his breakout season in 2014. His strikeout rate dipped below 20% for the second straight season after peaking at 23.7% in 2015, his Cy Young season. He compensates with a high ground ball rate and by shutting down the running game (no stolen bases allowed in 2019). He's also the bulldog type that teams love.

Best fits: White Sox, Angels, Twins, Cardinals, Padres, Phillies

Prediction: Twins. Jake Odorizzi accepted the Twins' qualifying offer and Minnesota re-signed Michael Pineda, but those two and Jose Berrios are the only proven starters on the Minnesota roster.

There’s the Keuchel argument, in a nutshell.  From previous article.

28 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Dallas Keuchel (No. 30): I like Keuchel a little better than Keith did in his rankings, and while Keuchel went 8-8 with a 3.75 ERA in 19 starts with the Braves after not signing until early June, there are some possible concerns with him. He allowed a .338 OBP, his highest mark since his breakout season in 2014. His strikeout rate dipped below 20% for the second straight season after peaking at 23.7% in 2015, his Cy Young season. He compensates with a high ground ball rate and by shutting down the running game (no stolen bases allowed in 2019). He's also the bulldog type that teams love.

Best fits: White Sox, Angels, Twins, Cardinals, Padres, Phillies

Prediction: Twins. Jake Odorizzi accepted the Twins' qualifying offer and Minnesota re-signed Michael Pineda, but those two and Jose Berrios are the only proven starters on the Minnesota roster.

There’s the Keuchel argument, in a nutshell.  From previous article.

The high ground ball rate does sound good on the South Side.  I would like the Sox to sign him or Ryu at this point.  I would guess it would take a 4 year deal at this point to sign either unless you go with a higher AAV on a shorter deal.

Merkin on trade currency from today's mailbag.

Some of the other prospects might not have performed as expected to this date, but opposing teams’ scouts watch them in action and know the skill set they offer. They are able to project the prospects' talent forward. Prospects such as Zack Collins, Jonathan Stiever and Blake Rutherford hold interest, with Stiever being a popular ask from what I’ve heard.

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/inbox-white-sox-2020-outlook

I had him in my plan on three years maybe with incentives triggering a fourth.  He wants max money and should have a chip on his shoulder after last year.  He might like sticking it to his old team several times a year.  He is okay if your #3 this year then #4 then #5 in third year.  He will want to be paid like a #2.  I think he is out there because no one has gone to four years.

With Yaz and Nomar Mazara in tow, from your perspective, what do you think still absolutely needs to be done to truly call this a “successful” offseason? Do you think the Sox FO would consider it “successful” at something less than whatever your answer may be?
-- Bobby, Charlotte, NC, @BCurley3

Two starting pitchers, a right-handed-hitting designated hitter or right fielder and a reliever or two. The White Sox will hit that target, although they won’t force bigger contract signings if they don’t believe in a longer-term fit.

Is a trade or a free-agent signing more likely to acquire pitching?
-- Roger, Charlotte, NC, @Soxsupporter1

The White Sox want two starters to supplement their rotation, so both avenues are possible, if not likely.

Merkin is saying exactly what I've been saying the past week or two...

Why are so many fans critical of this offseason? It's mid-December and there are several months until the season starts. Wait for the full body of work then be critical if you’re not happy with the roster.
-- JT, @chisoxjon

I couldn’t agree more, JT. I understand frustration. I understand the need to have the roster complete yesterday. I understand fans wanting the White Sox in on all the big-ticket free agents, even with the addition of Grandal and strong pursuit of Zack Wheeler. But let general manager Rick Hahn and the front office put together a full team, and then pass judgement around March 1. If not much has changed by that point, there would be some reason to talk.

Would Keuchel cost more than 4/68? I don't love the guy, but he probably puts 2020 into play for the playoffs. I'm more optimistic long term

on Sox starting pitching than most. With Dunning, Rodon, Stiever and 2-3 other minor leaguers  coming up, 2021 could look different than today.

Break down and give him the 4th year. Every chance you get to make the playoffs should be taken.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Yes, that guy...along with me, a guy with common sense who is not paid to be a shill for the White Sox.

I agree with you.  I get the frustration, but it is premature frustration. That said, Sox haven't bought themselves room for fans to be patient.