Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

And I agree with that...but that still doesn't contradict my point that it's pointless to get upset right now.

Point is “the contending in 2020” ship has already sailed. This is not what was sold to fans at the start of either of the last two offseasons. Meanwhile, they are planning to burn another year of cheap control on Moncada and Giolito. If last offseason didn’t already upset you, now is precisely the time to be upset.

3 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

There are definitely plenty of things to be upset about this off season.

No idea why the Sox would not entertain signing Taijuan Walker to a minor league deal? There is a pretty clear potential path towards getting a shot on the MLB club in a relief/swing role. Zero risk move, and I am not sure I see any team risking a MLB deal with him.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Point is “the contending in 2020” ship has already sailed. This is not what was sold to fans at the start of either of the last two offseasons. Meanwhile, they are planning to burn another year of cheap control on Moncada and Giolito. If last offseason didn’t already upset you, now is precisely the time to be upset.

Well there's the difference. I don't believe the ship has sailed on contending in 2020. Is it less likely than we may have thought before Wheeler signed elsewhere? Of course.

But talk to me in mid-March if you want to have a discussion on whether the 2020 team can contend.

I don’t see adding Grandal and Mazara with no pitching the Sox topping much over. 500. Sure there is still time to get a few pitchers and hopefully they open the wallet and get a few guys. 

Just to get to . 500 is a 17 game swing. They need some pitchers. Who knows what Kopech is going to give us after the injury? Lots of weight on Giolito to deliver a good year. 

Ryu and Teheran would be two I would like to see most. Without 2 pitchers this team won’t sniff the playoffs. Nova and Kuechel would be the next best two. 

25 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

No idea why the Sox would not entertain signing Taijuan Walker to a minor league deal? There is a pretty clear potential path towards getting a shot on the MLB club in a relief/swing role. Zero risk move, and I am not sure I see any team risking a MLB deal with him.

definitely would be intrigued by Walker/Salazar, but sox really need at least one guy who could be expected to fill innings. That is Keuchel or Nova, frankly. 

Wood could be great but I'm not sure money isn't better spent on availability at this point

30 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

You don't think the Sox can contend if they land one of Price/Keuchel/Ryu and say Bailey/Wood as a 2nd starter? Bring in Encarnacion and a vet 2B as well. They might be the division favorites but they can contend. It's December 17th and the Twins currently have 2 pitchers in their opening day rotation. 

• Love 2

1 minute ago, Princess Dye said:

Wouldnt Rick want to leak the opposite of this though? How does that help him?

Unless he stays awake at night thinking about what Joe Sox Fan thinks

I'm not saying he leaked it.

I'm just expressing frustration that now agents seem to know they have us cornered and we are left with the unpalatable option of having to overpay for flawed players that no one is truly excited about, give up key fruits of the rebuild for a pitcher which would be horrific or trade for overpaid and over the hill pitchers which would also be very sub optimal, or waiving the white flag on the first the prime year of the window, which is not acceptable.

One would think an FO so smug and arrogant would come up with a better solution than these and I'm expecting that.

Prove me wrong, Rick.

Show me the true No. 2 pitcher you are gonna get without giving up any prime player assets. I'm waiting with baited breath for your superior intellect to show itself. 

I can't wait until Ryu and Keuchel get snapped up and the WSox sneak across the announcement that they've resigned Nova late on a Friday in late January when most have stopped looking for any news.  Followed quickly by an announcement concerning 2nd half of the year promotional bobble heads etc... 

Clip and save...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

You don't think the Sox can contend if they land one of Price/Keuchel/Ryu and say Bailey/Wood as a 2nd starter? Bring in Encarnacion and a vet 2B as well. They might be the division favorites but they can contend. It's December 17th and the Twins currently have 2 pitchers in their opening day rotation. 

Thank you.

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Price is trash. Why would I pay 4/80 for a 2.5 win pitcher in Keuchel who will soon be a 2 win pitcher when the FO has had years to figure out how to add a No. 2 pitcher in 2020?

Wood is fine as a 5. 

Adding Keuchel and Wood doesn't get us from .500 to 90 wins and neither does EE. 

And IDGAF about the Twins. They just had a 103 win season so they are entitled to some wiggle room by their fans to see how they adjust.

Our FO isn't entitled to anything. 

6 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They have 3, just like us.

7 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I share your optimism that this team isn't as far away as many think, but there's no chance they open as the division favorite.

If the Sox did the above, and the Twins/Indians did nothing else they would both still be favored over the Sox.

The Twins will be favored over the Sox regardless of how they shore up their rotation. The Indians will be favored if they don't move Lindor/another piece. They practically played all last year without Kluber already. His move really doesn't impact 2020 for them much.

Expecting an 18 win turnaround is just too much. I think it CAN happen, but I don't think we can expect it to happen enough to make them favorites. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I share your optimism that this team isn't as far away as many think, but there's no chance they open as the division favorite.

If the Sox did the above, and the Twins/Indians did nothing else they would both still be favored over the Sox.

The Twins will be favored over the Sox regardless of how they shore up their rotation. The Indians will be favored if they don't move Lindor/another piece. They practically played all last year without Kluber already. His move really doesn't impact 2020 for them much.

Expecting an 18 win turnaround is just too much. I think it CAN happen, but I don't think we can expect it to happen enough to make them favorites. 

He was claiming they might NOT be division favorites. It was a typo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Are you counting Pineda?  If so, then we have 4 if you count Kopech.

Difference is, when the Twins have called up guys from the minors to fill they have gotten OK production. The Sox get Dylan Cover - who I can't believe Fegan still believes in ha. I get how you could be enamored with his raw stuff - everything moves with velocity. It's very obvious that Covey has no idea what he's doing though and that's not changing.