Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

You don't think the Sox can contend if they land one of Price/Keuchel/Ryu and say Bailey/Wood as a 2nd starter? Bring in Encarnacion and a vet 2B as well. They might be the division favorites but they can contend. It's December 17th and the Twins currently have 2 pitchers in their opening day rotation. 

Contend for the division in 2020? Maybe. I still like the Twins and Indians’ rosters better (assuming the Indians don’t trade any more key veterans).
Contend for the World Series, which I thought was the entire point of the rebuild? Not a chance. You have to do far better than Keuchel or Price as your #2.

i actually just looked this up for the first time, and it appears McCann vs. lefties is a trait that DOES hold up good even back thru the Tigers years.  Platoon DH with Eric Thames perhaps? And then you've got your offense offseason concluded.

Though of course i prefer a mccann trade to a prospects trade, contextless at least.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Really feels like Angels, Sox and Twins will split up Price, Ryu and Keuchel.

Others are on the periphery though.  The Dodgers, Braves, or Astros could swoop in and sign one of those guys if the opportunity presents itself, even though they're not nearly as desperate for pitching as the three teams you mention.

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

Others are on the periphery though.  The Dodgers, Braves, or Astros could swoop in and sign one of those guys if the opportunity presents itself, even though they're not nearly as desperate for pitching as the three teams you mention.

Also sounds like Jays are still in the market 

17 minutes ago, fathom said:

Also sounds like Jays are still in the market 

They’ve already signed Roark and Chase Anderson, but they might as well get the jump on Hahn for 2021, too.  Three now with Yamaguchi, sigh.  

It still feels like just one backend guy...then hope and pray to get to July while still in contention and make a trade for a rental and/or assume another team’s contract.

Edited by caulfield12

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They’ve already signed Roark and Chase Anderson, but they might as well get the jump on Hahn for 2021, too.  Three now with Yamaguchi, sigh.  

It still feels like just one backend guy...then hope and pray to get to July while still in contention and make a trade for a rental and/or assume another team’s contract.

I think this is correct.  Kopech, Dunning and Rodon all come aboard this year at various points.  Surly not going to give up Madrigal or Vaughn because Price can get us to the promise land.

Just now, bmags said:

I’m enjoying Heyman just tweeting about players that won’t get traded for the past four hours.

Did he link the Sox to Ryu/Boras yet?

It would be funny if he went to the Rangers with how many pitchers they’ve already added the last two cycles...Hahn will quickly out out the statement “we simply couldn’t compete with their sparkling new facility and the ability for him to be reunited and become teammates with his countryman Choo as both conclude their impactful careers.”

8 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Doesn’t make much sense to me.  With the Grandal signing and unless Collins is moved, it doesn’t make much sense not to be willing to sell high on McCann.  I don’t see McCann being a Sox after 2020.

Unless they were actually going for it this year I have no idea why that random tweet makes sense.  He doesn't even have a ton of value.  He's not some essential cog, especially now. 

6 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I share your optimism that this team isn't as far away as many think, but there's no chance they open as the division favorite.

If the Sox did the above, and the Twins/Indians did nothing else they would both still be favored over the Sox.

The Twins will be favored over the Sox regardless of how they shore up their rotation. The Indians will be favored if they don't move Lindor/another piece. They practically played all last year without Kluber already. His move really doesn't impact 2020 for them much.

Expecting an 18 win turnaround is just too much. I think it CAN happen, but I don't think we can expect it to happen enough to make them favorites. 

It was supposed to say they aren't division favorites