Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

10 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Crap!  I got excited with the eyeballs and the picture of Ryu and thought the implication was the Sox had reached a deal with him.  Turns out it's just a link to an article saying Sox still have interest in Kuechel and Ryu.

I would certainly hope so.

44 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I'm excited now!

EDIT:  Maybe you should start a separate thread.  I hope this is true!

I would temper your excitement a bit.

Pretty funny how the article states that the Sox are still looking at Ryu/Keuchel even after signing Gio Gonzalez, and then they proceed to reference an MLB.com article from yesterday, before Gio was even signed.

These NBC Sports news articles are no better than New York Post articles.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

41 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I would temper your excitement a bit.

Pretty funny how the article states that the Sox are still looking at Ryu/Keuchel even after signing Gio Gonzalez, and then they proceed to reference an MLB.com article from yesterday, before Gio was even signed.

These NBC Sports news articles are no better than New York Post articles.

Yeah, I saw the eyeballs and the picture of Ryu and since it was from a "legit" source (NBCS WhiteSox) I thought they were close to a deal with Ryu.  Then when I opened the link and read the article, I saw it was just the same old same old.

Ok I have probably called out more people for wanting Alex Wood who couldn't pitch last year because of repeated back issues.  In the interest of fairness, I found this in an Athletic article about Houston sign stealing where they talked to Wood

As he drove to a throwing session this week near his offseason home in Atlanta, 

so he is maybe somewhat healthy.  At least it didn't say he was in traction or bed ridden.  The article also stated he was looking for a pillow contract to be a FA again after the season.  

15 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

Ok I have probably called out more people for wanting Alex Wood who couldn't pitch last year because of repeated back issues.  In the interest of fairness, I found this in an Athletic article about Houston sign stealing where they talked to Wood

As he drove to a throwing session this week near his offseason home in Atlanta, 

so he is maybe somewhat healthy.  At least it didn't say he was in traction or bed ridden.  The article also stated he was looking for a pillow contract to be a FA again after the season.  

I imagine the Sox have the sights set a little higher than Alex Wood on the final SP add at this point.  Plenty of payroll space - should be around $92-93M range assuming Gio is in the $4-6M range.  

Edited by ChiSox59

15 hours ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Yeah, I saw the eyeballs and the picture of Ryu and since it was from a "legit" source (NBCS WhiteSox) I thought they were close to a deal with Ryu.  Then when I opened the link and read the article, I saw it was just the same old same old.

Anything NBC5 White Sox , Garfein, McGuffey posts, I move right past it just like I do "insiders" like WSD, and the rest of the Twitter trolls. 

In fact, anytime any of those guys spit out a name it almost 100% convinces me it ain't happening.    All the Sox moves tend to come out of nowhere when no one is even talking about them. 

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I imagine the Sox have the sights set a little higher than Alex Wood on the final SP add at this point.  Plenty of payroll space - should be around $92-93M range assuming Gio is in the $4-6M range.  

A healthy wood is a great add. If I signed Ryu, I probably would still see if I could get Wood to an incentive laden deal. Know you have Wood and Rodon for when everyone gets hurt. It is essentially how the Dodgers have operated past few years with so many injury prone starters. 

7 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

A healthy wood is a great add. If I signed Ryu, I probably would still see if I could get Wood to an incentive laden deal. Know you have Wood and Rodon for when everyone gets hurt. It is essentially how the Dodgers have operated past few years with so many injury prone starters. 

I agree...the more SP arms the better especially with some guys probably on innings limits this season.

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

But why would Wood, in a season in which he wants to rebuild his value, take a deal to be a back-up with no guaranteed job all year?

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

But why would Wood, in a season in which he wants to rebuild his value, take a deal to be a back-up with no guaranteed job all year?

If I look at this rotation, Kopech isn't in it to start and they could easily go with 6 guys. It is all how you pitch it.  

13 minutes ago, pcq said:

Lil Stevie always acts like he knows sumpin. The worst division ever coming your way. 

Seriously.  This is why no one should be questioning the Sox being all in this offseason and spending money.

The Royals and Tigers both suck.

The Indians have just started their pump and dump rebuild.

The division is there for the taking with only the Twins looking like legitimate contention, and even their season last year could be considered a bit fluky.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

On 12/20/2019 at 4:26 AM, kevtrem said:

If the Rockies really want to dump salary, I think the White Sox could probably get away with not attaching a top guy and absorbing McGee and/or Wade Davis (yikes)

It’s going to take a LOT more than absorbing salary dumps...think what it would have cost to acquire Zack Wheeler from the Mets, two seasons ago.   Then add on to it the fact that Colorado almost never trades their homegrown players at less than an overpay premium.

They do need to think about dumping Blackmon (who had a decent year when healthy) and the two you mentioned, because moving Arenado would really piss off the fans (who have been incredibly loyal).