Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

5 minutes ago, tray said:

Totally agree with that strategy. You have to believe that  the Sox anticipate who they need to sign long term - Moncada, Robert and possibly o a few others.  The Sox are not just being cheapskates by not blowing their budget  on FA contracts this off-season. 

Given that, if they stand pat as far as mega million dollar FA acquisitions I would be quite happy with Grandal, Mazara and Gio Gonzales, plus re-upping Abreu.  Meanwhile, dumpster dive for a few inning-eating pitchers and wait until Spring Training,,,, unless of course some team makes Rick & Kenny an offer they simply can't refuse. Patience is sometimes rewarded in these circumstances.

Sure, but Moncada and Robert would be expecting huge money, and rightfully so.  We messed it up by being overly generous with Jimenez.   We can get Madrigal and MAYBE Giolito.   It’s not even that clear that giving (still unproven) pitchers $100+ million extensions is the way to go, unless they’re super elite.   The days of the Sale and Q bargain extensions are long gone.

The problem is that next year’s free agency class is already half of what this one’s was...so they run the risk once again of playing musical chairs and being left without a seat when the music stops.

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Sure, but Moncada and Robert would be expecting huge money, and rightfully so.  We messed it up by being overly generous with Jimenez.   We can get Madrigal and MAYBE Giolito.   It’s not even that clear that giving (still unproven) pitchers $100+ million extensions is the way to go, unless they’re super elite.   The days of the Sale and Q bargain extensions are long gone.

The problem is that next year’s free agency class is already half of what this one’s was...so they run the risk once again of playing musical chairs and being left without a seat when the music stops.

Dafuq?

• Love 2

40 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I'd consider Snell's extension a bargain and he got it last year, IIRC. How can you say for certain that the days of these type of deals are gone?

1 hour ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Why not front load a four year contract for Keuchel? Give him four years, overpay him this year and have the money go down at the back end of the contract so it’s not an albatross when they have to re-up with some of their young guys.

Front loading Ryu would make a ton of sense. Pay him well for the first two seasons...decent for the 3rd with some incentives ...And make the 4th season a very low AAV with big incentives. That way his injury history is mitigated and you have our #2 locked in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I don’t know about any of this.  Even next year’s class could end up getting tons of cash.  Maybe no Cole but way more position player dollars. 

12 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Can we stop posting dumb rumors like that? Guy has 100 followers, what else did he break? Come on its tiring

You’re a treat. I thought it was pretty clear in my post that the guy was not reliable. Maybe I should have just said that he’s not reliable. Oh wait...

Only reason I posted it was because of WSD’s random message last night. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If we cannot afford to extend Moncada or Robert because of Jimenez...I think we bet on the wrong horse.  Simply due to the fact he’s going to have to put up JD Martinez numbers to come close to the approximating the value of those two much more multi-dimensional players.

18.5M in 2026 for a great hitter is going to be peanuts

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Not to be morbid but JR may not be alive in 2026

Exactly, and for that reason and inflation and many others, I think it's premature to discuss December 2026 right now.

Like seriously, what the hell is the point of this? If Moncada is consistently a 950 OPS guy with good D & Giolito is a true ace, that'll be a great problem to have.

We also have no clue if Giolito and/or Moncada have been approached about an extension. Maybe they said no last year. Maybe they said no this year. Either way Eloy shouldn't be punished because the others won't take an extension. He's going to be a great, great hitter.

12 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Then I don’t want to hear how fWAR is not important in capturing the true value of players like Jimenez and Mazara when Hahn is unable to keep Moncada or Robert in the fold long-term.

If Robert and Moncada are awesome- let's say arguably two of the top 20 players in all of baseball- that'll be great. Most GM's couldn't pay two guys like that.

Just now, soxfan49 said:

Exactly, and for that reason and inflation and many others, I think it's premature to discuss December 2026 right now.

Like seriously, what the hell is the point of this? If Moncada is consistently a 950 OPS guy with good D & Giolito is a true ace, that'll be a great problem to have.

We also have no clue if Giolito and/or Moncada have been approached about an extension. Maybe they said no last year. Maybe they said no this year. Either way Eloy shouldn't be punished because the others won't take an extension. He's going to be a great, great hitter.

If Robert and Moncada are awesome- let's say arguably two of the top 20 players in all of baseball- that'll be great. Most GM's couldn't pay two guys like that.

They just need to pick a lane.  If they’re unwilling to overspend in free agency, they have to lengthen the window from 2021-23 to include 2024/25 by prioritizing extensions for their own players.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They just need to pick a lane.  If they’re unwilling to overspend in free agency, they have to lengthen the window from 2021-23 to include 2024/25 by prioritizing extensions for their own players.

But if Giolito and Moncada won't take them- which we neither know or don't know- what can Hahn do to address that? Perhaps they want to take their chances by playing it out and striking it super rich? The answer is nothing.

27 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

But if Giolito and Moncada won't take them- which we neither know or don't know- what can Hahn do to address that? Perhaps they want to take their chances by playing it out and striking it super rich? The answer is nothing.

If you anticipate the difficulty of keeping your own players in the fold...and we’ve noted the challenge of signing anyone but Madrigal out of the group of 4 (including Giolito)...then you simply have to execute in free agency.

(Note: it’s probably too early to consider Kopech.)

You can’t keep saying “we need to preserve our unprecedented financial flexibility” forever...because doing so has considerably pushed back the window (along with prospect injuries, bad drafts/non-performance, Kopech TJ), etc.

It’s simply embarrassing to be well below a $100 million payroll when we are getting at least half that amount in new monies from our broadcasting rights deal with NBC/Universal starting in February.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

If we cannot afford to extend Moncada or Robert because of Jimenez...I think we bet on the wrong horse.  Simply due to the fact he’s going to have to put up JD Martinez numbers to come close to the approximating the value of those two much more multi-dimensional players.

There are so many things wrong with this I can't count them...but f***,  let's go with this one.

In Eloy Jimenez's contract, 2025 and 2026 are option years. If we want to be that cheap, those years don't need to be paid.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Locking up Moncada would be my #1 priority after free agency settles.

IMO - it got even harder this year now that we're back to a normal free agency for top flight players. There have been 3 major contracts to 3b in the past year, between $250-$300 million. If you're not talking about something close to $250 million I have no idea why Moncada would listen, and that's with him still being pre-arb right now.

Are people seriously running with that WSD post?

giphy.gif

If Keuchel had agreed to sign/were signing with the White Sox, we'd know already. I'd love to have either him or Ryu, but I wouldn't get my hopes up on anything until you see an official press release, otherwise you're unnecessarily setting yourself up once again for another disappointment potentially.

Edited by bachy

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

This is very true.